View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Configuring optional WM in KDE/Gnome?? Reply with quote

First off, I have spent the whole day trying to educate myself in the arts of window managers, destop environments and eterms. However, I fear that my knowledge is still severly lacking at best. When I first got my Gentoo box up and running, I blindly emerged KDE without contemplating the numerous possibilities other DEs or WMs have to offer. Today was the day I decided to try some of these possibilities. But before I can start, I was hoping someone could answer my questions:

1) Is it possible to use a different WM in KDE other than the default one? (I've read several threads about this topic and it seems like it should work, but I'm not sure so I decided to ask.)

2) I have both KDE and Gnome emerged. How can I tell the DE to use the new WM I installed. Example: How can I tell KDE to start using Enlightenment as the default WM.

I had expected that these questions had already been asked and answered before, but I couldn't anything. In general, I must say that there is very little documentation (that I could find) for switching WMs in Gnome or KDE. The KDE homepage mentioned it, but recommended not to switch WMs. Is there really a lack of documentation, or did I just miss it? It would be nice if there was a guide on how switch WM in KDE/Gnome similar to the "Desktop Configuration Guide".

Thank you very much for your patience! :D
plasmagunman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome has a variable called "default_windowmanager" or something like that, but it does not work. i changed the wm by

*starting gnome
*starting a terminal
*killing the actual wm, metacity, i think. the funny thing is, when you're killing the wm, all programs stay on the desktop where they are. so you can still use the terminal.
*using the terminal to start your preferred wm with a trailing "&" in the commandline.

that's it. from now on gnome will use the new wm.

Last edited by plasmagunman on Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that information. But what about KDE? I'm surprised that very few people posted in this thread. I thought it would be a no-brainer that everyone can answer... :?
mondauge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would also like to know how that is accomplished cause Enlightenment rockz... I do not dare to dream how awesome it would be in connection with KDE :-)
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hope someone will be able to answer our questions. Like I said before, why is there no documentation for such matters?
mctop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

kdm can handle different windowmanagers. Normally u don't have to change anything, perhaps u have to restart kdm.
To let fluxbox run with kdm, u have to make a startscript in /etc/X11/Sessions.

Thats all!
plasmagunman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they don't want to start any wm out of kdm, but start kde with another wm than the deafult one (which is called "kwm", btw).
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again thank you for your help, but I still don't quite understand how I should go about this. So I'll make my questions more specific so you guys can give me specific answers. I have both KDE and Gnome emerged. I really like the Gnome WM (Metacity), but as a DE I prefer KDE. So how can I use Metacity with KDE? :?:
plasmagunman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i thougt (<- is that the correct form of that word?) you were interested in optional wms for kde and gnome, like the title of the thread said...

did you try to google for "kde alternative windowmanager"? the second link i get is http://kdemyths.urbanlizard.com/viewMyth.php?mythID=32:
Quote:
Any window manager may be run within the KDE environment. By default KDE uses kwin, the native KDE window manager, but it is possible to replace it with an alternative.

In the days of KDE1, a window manager was required to support KDE's proprietary window manager hints to work well within KDE. This changed in the KDE2 release and now KDE uses the standard NETWM hints for window manager compatibility. Any window manager that supports NETWM can not only be run within KDE but can do so well.

Some window managers that include NETWM support either by default or as an option include KWin, Metacity, Sawfish, FVWM and IceWM. Enlightenment and Blackbox will also support NETWM in upcoming releases.

To make a different window manager the default in your KDE session you can either edit the startkde script or, while in a KDE session, you can kill kwin and start the window manager of your choice. After logging out, if the window manager is session management aware it will automatically start up the next time you start KDE.

i didn't test that, but it seems like it works like i described above for gnome:

*start kde
*open terminal
*kill default wm (kwm):
Code:
killall kwm

*start new wm
Code:
metacity &

*and hope it works.
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, since you asked for it, I will give you a little English lesson! :wink:

The correct one would be "thought" (I think you meant that anyways, but made a small spelling mistake!)

Anyways, back to Gentoo!

Thank you for your little guide and the Google search. With my head bowed in shame, I admit that I totally forgot to use Google before asking the question on this forum. I will try the method you used and report back my findings! Thanks again!
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that did not work. I did the following and got the error message displayed below:

Code:
tommy > killall kwm
kwm: no process killed
tommy > metacity &
[1] 1818
tommy > Window manager warning: Failed to a open connection to a session manager, so window positions will not be saved: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager

Any other ideas or suggestions how I could make this work?
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't KDE's windowmanager actually called 'kwin'? Notice how no processes were killed when you tried to kill 'kwm' -- so of course it would complain about a windowmanager already running when you tried to start the new one...do a 'ps aux' to see all the processes running, and try to pick the most likely one to be KDE's wm ^_^
LaserJock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is how I would do it in KDE:
Code:
 which startkde

In my case this gives
Quote:
/usr/kde/3.2/bin/startkde
so I edit that startkde file and I see:
Quote:
# finally, give the session control to the session manager
# if the KDEWM environment variable has been set, then it will be used as KDE's
# window manager instead of kwin.
# if KDEWM is not set, ksmserver will ensure kwin is started.

Now I can go to the top (or wherever you want) of the startkde script and put in KDEWM=metacity (or whatever wm you want) and resart KDE.
I hope this is what you are looking for.

-LaserJock
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LaserJock

Ok, I am in the process of trying to method you suggested. One more question: Will this method also work if I wanna try Enlightment or some other window mangers? Why isn't there any documentation available for this!
LaserJock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy_fila
Yes it should work on most wm's. I have seen forum threads where people were using fluxbox, openbox, enlightenment, etc. I think that the WM should be NETWM compliant (I'm not entirely sure what that means) if you want to replace kwin but many wm's are.

-LaserJock
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks again for your info! You really helped me! :D
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it is still not working. I changed my startkde file and metacity is running (I did a ps aux check to verify that). However, KDE still loads kwin as the default window manager and when I try to "killall kwin" it tells me that there are no processes to be killed. What is going wrong here? Why isn't KDE using Metacity as the default WM?
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind me! It worked in the first place, I just missed! Thanks again for all your help! It was really really really great!

ONE LAST QUESTION!

So I have metacity as my window manager now, but if I want to change anything, all the KDE configuration programs refer to Kwin. So how can I configure my metacity window manager using KDE??? Thank you all for your help again!
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy_fila wrote:
Unfortunately it is still not working. I changed my startkde file and metacity is running (I did a ps aux check to verify that). However, KDE still loads kwin as the default window manager and when I try to "killall kwin" it tells me that there are no processes to be killed. What is going wrong here? Why isn't KDE using Metacity as the default WM?

Ok, to kill kwin:

ps xa | grep kwin

On my box, I get:

2280 ? S 0:19 kdeinit: kwin -session 117f0<snip>

(see, the kdeinit process started kwin...)

so, to kill kwin:

kill -9 2280

& then start the wm of your choice.

If you have it enabled, just go to the KDE menu & click 'Save Session' & see if the wm setting is saved on your next login... (assuming you have kde to load a saved session...)
plasmagunman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: the default-wm should be called "kwin", at least that's what the script tells us. "pgrep" doesn't seem to find it, but "ps x" does: (btw: why does "ps x" find it, but "ps -A" does not?)
Code:
ps x | grep kwin
 4810 ?        S      0:00 kdeinit: kwin           
 4923 pts/4    S      0:00 grep kwin

the first numbers are the ids of the jobs. with its number you can kill every job :twisted:
Code:
kill [insert first number of the line of the job called "kdeinit: kwin"]

now you can start metacity and you're done. unfortunately on next login kde starts with kwin again...
EDIT: seems i forgot the "save session"-part of the previous post.

2: in a console i did
Code:
export KDEWM="fvwm"
startx

and it started kde with fvwm as wm. i didn't test it, but it should work also with metacity.
if that works you have to find a place where to set the KDEWM-variable, since you surely don't want to make these console-hacking every day. you could try to put this 'export KDEWM="fvwm"' in /etc/profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login or ~/.profile. i'm no shell-expert and i always get confused with all these config-files...

Last edited by plasmagunman on Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
plasmagunman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy_fila wrote:
Never mind me! It worked in the first place, I just missed!

grrrr... ;-)
tommy_fila wrote:
So how can I configure my metacity window manager using KDE??? Thank you all for your help again!

you cannot. you have to configure it using gnome, or you can directly edit its configuration files.

Last edited by plasmagunman on Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
LaserJock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy_fila,
I would use
Code:
gconf-editor
to mess around with the metacity settings. I went into apps --> metacity and found the settings I wanted. I might not be as user freindly as KDE's Control Center but I like it. 8)

-LaserJock
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it seems like I finally figure it out! Now it's time to play around with gconf-editor to perfect my settings! :D THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT SUPPORT! Without you guys I could have never gotten all this stuff to work! Thanks again!
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For KDE: it should be easier to set the environment variable KDEWM the new WM name to start. This way you do not need to always edit startkde script. You should put export KDEWM="metacity" in /etc/conf.d/local.start.

Sipi
corrosif
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Can't kill metacity Reply with quote

I would like to use E16.6 with Gnome 2.4.
I have tried to kill metacity with the following command:

killall metacity

But as soon as it gets killed, it reloads itself and I can't get rid of it... and Enlightenment can't start because he is aware that there is already another window manager running.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: