View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palantir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Fuzzy bold fonts: helllp!! [RESOLVED] Reply with quote

This topic seems quite recurrent, but I see only people asking "hey I have slim and thin fonts, I want the fuzzy ones". I on the contrary have those extra large fuzzy and bold fonts and I want my thin fonts back.
I see there are three situations.
1. No antialiasing at all. This is what happens if I set no antialiasing in kde's control center or if I do it vie ~/.fonts.config. This is not what I want, since with this disabled fonts are thin, but insanely edgy too.
2. Fuzzy fonts. The thing I have now. It seems that truetype fonts are antialiased twice or thrice, and become what I said before.
3. Normal fonts. I mean the thing you see on windows or like the adobe's helvetica font (which AFAIK is a bitmap font and so doesn't get antialiasing).

I used to obtain effect number 3 with a qtconfig switch: in the fonts table there used to be an option to Enable antialiasing support in XFT. With this disabled everything worked great. With qt 3.3 this option is GONE and I am here thinking of how ugly my desktop is ;-)

Thanks to anyone who will help...
Palantir

Last edited by palantir on Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Zapp!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to experiment with the freetype bytecode interpreter.
You can enable the bytecode interpreter, if you emerge freetype as follows:
Code:
USE="bindist" emerge freetype

or add "bindist" to your useflags in /etc/make.conf
palantir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapp! wrote:
Try to experiment with the freetype bytecode interpreter.

And... what should happen?? I can see no difference. After having done this, do I have to enable something or change some configuration?

UPDATE: Great! It works!! It was just because the use flag you have reported does not enable the bytecode. I had to pause the emerge, change the header file manually and restart it :) Now my desktop is great again.
Thanks for the tip!!
Zapp!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from /usr/portage/media-libs/freetype/freetype-2.1.5.ebuild
Code:
use bindist || append-flags "${CFLAGS} -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER"

Maybe it's the other way round: USE="-bindist" enables the bytecode interpreter.
Well, at least you got it working :)
rgzoso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palantir wrote:

UPDATE: Great! It works!! It was just because the use flag you have reported does not enable the bytecode. I had to pause the emerge, change the header file manually and restart it :) Now my desktop is great again.
Thanks for the tip!!

Could you or someone else please help me, cause I am in the same situation. after upgrading freetype I have ugly bold fonts. I like my old fonts better, but I have not found a combination to make freetype turn on the bytecode stuff. Do i need to do something besides leave X, restart xfs and then startx?

I really hate these big fonts.
palantir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgzoso wrote:

Could you or someone else please help me, cause I am in the same situation. after upgrading freetype I have ugly bold fonts.

Try to add '-bindist' to your use flags and reemerge freetype. If it doesn't work, ask again, because the first time I have emerged freetype I had made some triks during the compilation -- this should not be neccessary, if the -bindist flag works correctly. I have upgraded freetype right now and it seems to work...
rgzoso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palantir wrote:

Try to add '-bindist' to your use flags and reemerge freetype. If it doesn't work, ask again, because the first time I have emerged freetype I had made some triks during the compilation -- this should not be neccessary, if the -bindist flag works correctly. I have upgraded freetype right now and it seems to work...

Nope, still got the big bold fonts. I did a export USE="-bindist", emerged freetype, then re-emerged xfree, and fontconfig for good measure, but still have the bold fuzzy font stuff. Any more ideas?

Thanks

Edit: Moreover, I see no difference between -bindist and +bindist in my use after emergeing freetype and restarting X.
palantir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm... the first time I tried to emerge freetype I made it this way: as soon as the source was unpacked, I pressed CTRL-Z to pause the script, went to the working directory and uncommented the appropriate line in the configuration header. Then resumed the compilation with the fg command.

You need to uncomment:
/* #define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER */
(if I remember correctly...) in the file freetype-2.1.7/include/freetype/config/ftoption.h

I won't swear this will/should/could work, but I managed to get thin fonts this way. It seems that there are _many_ factors that influence this problem, for example, on QT before 3.3.3 you can run qtconfig and in the fonts directory you have the option to "enable support fot xft antialiasing fonts" or something similar. Well, this was a good way to get rid of bold fonts: you needed to uncheck that option and restart, there are goon dhances your KDE apps will be pretty. Unfortunately in QT 3.3.3, which is what I am using now, this option is gone.
There is the configuration file called ~/.fonts.conf where you could put some commands (although KDE's control panel seems to make changes to that file, so you could change it indirectly from there).
There are font paths and the XFree86 config file, and there are fonts-related options too...
I am using X and KDE, nothing more, and the freetype lib option has worked. If you have xfs, gnome, and possibly other things, well, it could me something _quite_ different...
BTW I am _not_ running xfs...
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My situation is slightly different. From control center in KDE, whether I enebale or disable Anti-aliasing, it doesn't make any difference. The fonts are always very-very thin and all text looks like broken. When I open a gnome-terminal and compare its menu text fonts with menu text from KDE I can see that gnome-terminal has much more smoother text.

Why is gnome-terminal able to pick up AA while KDE can't when they both link to same libraries (XFT, freetype, fontconfig) and using the same ~/.fonts.conf. I have added my TT fonts to KDE, so KDE can see them. But somehow it doesn't smooth them at all.

Another un-related issue is that konsole doesn't see TT fonts at all. It only has fixed font available, not even the Linux one.

I really need help with these two issues.
palantir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the qtconfig option I have mentioned? Is it enabled or not?
lunarg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is bindist automaticly used when emerging freetype, or does one have to specify it?

I've emerged freetype with 'emerge -U freetype', and my fonts remained as normal. Afterworths, emerged qt-3.3.0-r1, and all my fonts changed (not really for the worst though; a few fonts have gone missing, but I replaced them with other, better looking ones).
Registered linux user #341804
Visit Black Manticore: http://www.blackmanticore.com/
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palantir wrote:
Have you tried the qtconfig option I have mentioned? Is it enabled or not?

from qtconfig, whether I disable or enable AA, it doesn't make any difference to the look of the fonts. And I think that that switch in qt is same as in KDE control center because whenever I had one enabled/disabled, other was enabled/disabled. That explains why they got rid of it in 3.3.

It seems that the code to smoothen and apply AA is not getting executed no matter what the setting is. gnome applications seem to do it properly, even from within KDE....kind of sucks, because I was thinking of going KDE.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: