View previous topic :: View next topic  
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work.

a bug:

you need to change

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.10-rc3/2.6.10-rc3-mm1/2.6.10-rc3-mm1.bz2

to

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.10-rc3/2.6.10-rc3-mm1/2.6.10-rc3-mm1.bz2
<i've inserted /people/>

and your sources work on amd64, you can add in the ~amd64 keyword.
noooob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have orinoco patched in it?. Or can you please put orinoco patch in it..please..
Martin Zoubek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latency measurement, as I promised.
kernel: 2.6.10-rc3-vv_e1
jackd -R -d alsa -P -o 2 -p 16 -s
i.e. jack latency of 1/3 s, it spits all bigger delays it encounters to the console
tests: playing a video, with sound, of course :-) - ~20% CPU usage, max. latency 2020 us, several times a second there is a latency of about 0.7-1.1 ms
Also some tests from latencytests: 'x11' and 'proc' - no increase in latency, forkbomb killed X :-(

Result: with -p 16 is sound unlistenable, with -p 64 (1.33 ms jack latency) it may be usable, but not good, there will be some droupouts, -p 128 should be OK. But remember that there is only one program producing sound in my test, in real situations you will use several of them, that's what is jack designed for!
Conclusion: This kernel is probably not good for serious audio work.

Looking forward to test your new mm kernel :-)
vrln
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great patchset! Everything is running perfectly here, using 2.6.10-rc3-vve1. Here is a far fetched request but I'll say it anyway: I respect that you want to keep the patchset unique, so sorry for saying this, but staircase cpu scheduler would be nice as an option :) It has better desktop interactivity for me. (yes I know it's used in so many patchsets but it's not in any patchset that is based on 2.6.10-rc3+).

Entrance (the E17 login manager) kernel panics with 2.6.9 based kernels for me if I run it in opengl mode and press the restart or shutdown button.

also it's like you've made a new release every time I check these forums, keep up the good work :)
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok :) :

noooob wrote:
Anyone have orinoco patched in it?. Or can you please put orinoco patch in it..please..

done ;) orinoco patch is at sourceforge and also the new available ebuild has it , for use it choose USE="orinoco" flag . also You can download 2610rc3vvmm_e1_orinoco.diff.bz2 from sf.net/projects/vivid-sources and do patching by hand in kernel_sources by :
Code:
 bzip2 -dc 2610rc3vvmm_e1_orinoco.diff.bz2 | patch -p1

release info is changed of course : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1886355#1886355

Gentree wrote:
OK nice patch set, you've got a new convert!

I have been using 2.6.9-r1-nitro for about 4months but the more recent offerings seem less sucessful. I tried going back to love-sources but dev seems pretty much stalled over there and I could not even get the lastest one to boot.

So I started looking for alternatives and came across vivid and so far I like it.

Nothing has broken that was not broken already so signs are good.

Thanks for your efforts. 8)

Thanks :) - pretty nice :) You`re welcome . Some time ago I also was been a love user :) (Steel300 time etc. :) )

GentooBox wrote:
nice work.
a bug:
you need to change
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.10-rc3/2.6.10-rc3-mm1/2.6.10-rc3-mm1.bz2
to
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.10-rc3/2.6.10-rc3-mm1/2.6.10-rc3-mm1.bz2
<i've inserted /people/>
and your sources work on amd64, you can add in the ~amd64

thanks :), ebuild corrected - sorry for that mistake, and ~amd64 keyword added :)

Martin Zoubek wrote:

Thanks for You tests :) .I think for testing the _real_ latency it was better than sched2.c :) , so if You need serious audio work / small latence for that test new vvmm_e1 with Ingo`s Real Time Preempt , IT would be better I think it this case, Superb option is leveling of Preemption deep , I don`t need really realtime preempt for my desktop (I`m going to agree with bollucks that _really_ realtime preempt can slow down in some cases , so I`m choose Preemptible Kernel from menuconfig instead of Full Realtime Preempt ) I`m also doing some audio work but as amateur with Reason and similar ;) I love experimental,drum`n`base,jungle,breakcore,acid jazz,trip hop and etc.etc.

vrln wrote:
Great patchset! Everything is running perfectly here, using 2.6.10-rc3-vve1. Here is a far fetched request but I'll say it anyway: I respect that you want to keep the patchset unique, so sorry for saying this, but staircase cpu scheduler would be nice as an option :) It has better desktop interactivity for me. (yes I know it's used in so many patchsets but it's not in any patchset that is based on 2.6.10-rc3+).

Entrance (the E17 login manager) kernel panics with 2.6.9 based kernels for me if I run it in opengl mode and press the restart or shutdown button.

also it's like you've made a new release every time I check these forums, keep up the good work :)

thanks for Your opinion :) nice :)

about staircase, I was been staircase user since 5.x versions also. I think that staircase provided better interactivity than O(1) also.but since 2.6.10-rcX the situation is going to change. Many of mm stuff is going to RC 2610 , also partial latency fixes - in a fact of this is much better latency (small) in Nick Piggin`s sched2.c test than in the past.
I was moved to O(1) with partial / full mm fixes/speed-ups since 2.6.10-rcX because : I don`t feel difference beetwen 2.6.10 based on staircase and based on O(1) as I feel that in the past ( 2.6.9 for example ) . Also I have problems with staircase with java/flash applications and sound . Yes i know that is ISO mode with staircase via schedtool but in my feelings with 2.6.10 O(1) doing better :P :)

in the past we have one mm release with menuconfig select beetwen O(1) and staircase . I think when I have some time ( maybe Christmas ) then I can try to reproduce this, but it was not so easy :)

also If You will to do it , Yo can do patch with staircase for vivid ? ;)
My personally fovorite at now is : O(1) + mm fixes.

cheers :)
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
noooob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallow wrote:
ok :) :

noooob wrote:

done ;) orinoco patch is at sourceforge and also the new available ebuild has it , for use it choose USE="orinoco" flag . also You can download 2610rc3vvmm_e1_orinoco.diff.bz2 from sf.net/projects/vivid-sources and do patching by hand in kernel_sources by :
Code:
 bzip2 -dc 2610rc3vvmm_e1_orinoco.diff.bz2 | patch -p1

release info is changed of course : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1886355#1886355

Gentree wrote:
OK nice patch set, you've got a new convert!

I have been using 2.6.9-r1-nitro for about 4months but the more recent offerings seem less sucessful. I tried going back to love-sources but dev seems pretty much stalled over there and I could not even get the lastest one to boot.

So I started looking for alternatives and came across vivid and so far I like it.

Nothing has broken that was not broken already so signs are good.

Thanks for your efforts. 8)

Thanks :) - pretty nice :) You`re welcome . Some time ago I also was been a love user :) (Steel300 time etc. :) )

GentooBox wrote:
nice work.
a bug:
you need to change
to
<i've inserted /people/>
and your sources work on amd64, you can add in the ~amd64

thanks :), ebuild corrected - sorry for that mistake, and ~amd64 keyword added :)

Martin Zoubek wrote:

Thanks for You tests :) .I think for testing the _real_ latency it was better than sched2.c :) , so if You need serious audio work / small latence for that test new vvmm_e1 with Ingo`s Real Time Preempt , IT would be better I think it this case, Superb option is leveling of Preemption deep , I don`t need really realtime preempt for my desktop (I`m going to agree with bollucks that _really_ realtime preempt can slow down in some cases , so I`m choose Preemptible Kernel from menuconfig instead of Full Realtime Preempt ) I`m also doing some audio work but as amateur with Reason and similar ;) I love experimental,drum`n`base,jungle,breakcore,acid jazz,trip hop and etc.etc.

vrln wrote:

thanks for Your opinion :) nice :)

about staircase, I was been staircase user since 5.x versions also. I think that staircase provided better interactivity than O(1) also.but since 2.6.10-rcX the situation is going to change. Many of mm stuff is going to RC 2610 , also partial latency fixes - in a fact of this is much better latency (small) in Nick Piggin`s sched2.c test than in the past.
I was moved to O(1) with partial / full mm fixes/speed-ups since 2.6.10-rcX because : I don`t feel difference beetwen 2.6.10 based on staircase and based on O(1) as I feel that in the past ( 2.6.9 for example ) . Also I have problems with staircase with java/flash applications and sound . Yes i know that is ISO mode with staircase via schedtool but in my feelings with 2.6.10 O(1) doing better :P :)

in the past we have one mm release with menuconfig select beetwen O(1) and staircase . I think when I have some time ( maybe Christmas ) then I can try to reproduce this, but it was not so easy :)

also If You will to do it , Yo can do patch with staircase for vivid ? ;)
My personally fovorite at now is : O(1) + mm fixes.

Wohooo..thanks alot, for orinoco patch, on that kernel..running very well here. (now I am playing around with kismet,airsnort etc)...no problem whatsoever.

Tumbs up..keep up good work, from now on..I am using this kernel.

Cheers for that
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
staircase cpu scheduler would be nice as an option

maybe you can have a look to plugsched, Con´s approach to this.

Didnt tried your latest patch (yet), but will let you know ;)

cheers
NiLuJe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine here ;) Except that ati-drivers won't build with the vvm_e1 release .. (It worked with vv_e1)

Code:
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.o
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:311:22: drm_proc.h : Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `firegl_stub_putminor':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:519: attention : « inter_module_put » est obsolète (déclaré à include/linux/module.h:577)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:521: attention : « inter_module_unregister » est obsolète (déclaré à include/linux/module.h:573)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `firegl_stub_register':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:541: attention : « inter_module_register » est obsolète (déclaré à include/linux/module.h:572)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:572: attention : « inter_module_put » est obsolète (déclaré à include/linux/module.h:577)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `firegl_init_module':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:613: erreur: « DRM_PROC_ENTRIES » non déclaré (première utilisation dans cette fonction)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:613: erreur: (Chaque identificateur non déclaré est rapporté une seule fois
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:613: erreur: pour chaque fonction dans laquelle il apparaît.)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:619: erreur: « FGLDRM_proc_list » non déclaré (première utilisation dans cette fonction)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_block_all_signals':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:815: attention : passage de l'argument n°1 de « block_all_signals » d'un type pointeur incompatible
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_get_vm_phys_addr':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1597: attention : déclaration implicite de la fonction « pgd_offset_is_obsolete »
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1597: attention : affectation transforme un entier en pointeur sans transtypage
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_request_irq':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1908: attention : affectation d'un type pointeur incompatible
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `do_vm_shm_nopage':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2060: attention : affectation transforme un entier en pointeur sans transtypage
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `do_vm_pcie_nopage':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2189: erreur: « drm_device_t » non déclaré (première utilisation dans cette fonction)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2189: erreur: « dev » non déclaré (première utilisation dans cette fonction)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2189: erreur: erreur d'analyse syntaxique avant un élément lexical « ) »
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_vm_phys_addr_str':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2439: attention : affectation transforme un entier en pointeur sans transtypage
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: At top level:
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2528: attention : initialisation d'un type pointeur incompatible
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_vm_map':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2589: attention : déclaration implicite de la fonction « remap_page_range »
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_uninit':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3014: attention : « inter_module_put » est obsolète (déclaré à include/linux/module.h:577)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: At top level:
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:301: attention : « FGLDRM_mem_info » défini mais n'a pas été utilisé
make[1]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.o] Erreur 1
make: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod] Erreur 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.10-rc3-vvmm_e1'
 * DRM module not built

(Oops, gcc warnings in french .. :D )
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noooob wrote:
Wohooo..thanks alot, for orinoco patch, on that kernel..running very well here. (now I am playing around with kismet,airsnort etc)...no problem whatsoever.

Tumbs up..keep up good work, from now on..I am using this kernel.

Cheers for that

OK , nice - so orinoco will be in patchlists of future releases :)
and thx for good words ;)

gringo wrote:
Quote:
staircase cpu scheduler would be nice as an option

maybe you can have a look to plugsched, Con´s approach to this.

Didnt tried your latest patch (yet), but will let you know ;)

cheers

hihi :) Gringo - thanks for You efforts/ideas , I fortgot also about Con`s plugsched also like about mjb hehe.
Right - in a fact that we have 2 lines now, so mm release will have plugsched without much work as I think :) thx ;)

NiLuJe wrote:
Works fine here ;) Except that ati-drivers won't build with the vvm_e1 release .. (It worked with vv_e1)

hm, I really don`t have ati-card :) 2.6.10-rc3-vv_e1 works fine with nvidia 6111 and 6629 , and latest mm 2.6.10-rc3-vvmm_e1 works with 6629 from portage here. ( I think it also works with 6111 but maybe pgd_patches will be required or 4levels).

I will take a look in the near future days but I even never merged it ( ati-drv`s ) :)

btw.maybe alternative ati drivers - something like ati-gatos if I remember the name correct will work ... :)
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
Martin Zoubek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiLuJe wrote:

Same problem, fglrx won't build. Nvidia is OK.

I've encountered another problem which was not in vv_e1 - loading cmd64x module locks system. That's pretty important to me, I've root partition on disk connected to card with this chipset :-( Any solution?
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Zoubek wrote:
NiLuJe wrote:

Same problem, fglrx won't build. Nvidia is OK.

I've encountered another problem which was not in vv_e1 - loading cmd64x module locks system. That's pretty important to me, I've root partition on disk connected to card with this chipset :-( Any solution?

hm , vvmm_e1 is full mm based - mm is experimental so is high risk to broke something, vv_e1 with partial mm was done exectly for that , to eleminate risc of broking . that is the reason of 2 vivid lines partial and full mm based.

I chek lkml to find something about broking cmd64* with mm1 , but with no results...
I compiled it as module and loaded via modprobe - ok- everything is fine so i think is direct mm problem, but I don`t have this controller.
Also I checked mm1 diff for changes in cmd6* file - no results .
So mm1 doesn`t change directly the driver , It must be some indirect related to cmd6* but I don`t know what.
There is no bk-pci but maybe You try to reverse for example patches in relation with cmd6* bk-ide-dev for example

about ati with vivid mm based : I don`t have any experience because i never had ati card , I will take a look today . :)

cheers
NiLuJe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ;)
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about ati drivers and full mm vivid - 2.6.10-rc3-vvmm_e1

as in partial mm vivid everything is working hehe , in full mm based not :) "normal full mm problems" :)

after reversing mm`s bk-drm.patch ati-drivers was compiled.
If somebody doesn`t know how to do that ( better to say:) )
to reversing it download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/vivid-sources -> 2.6.10-rc3-vvmm_e1 -> bk-drm.patch.bz2
and in kernel_source_dir do :
Code:
 # bzip2 -dc bk-drm.patch.bz2 | patch -p1 -R

but also 2 warnings :
Code:

Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST
*** Warning: "remap_page_range" [/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!
*** Warning: "pgd_offset_is_obsolete" [/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!
  CC      /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.mod.o
  LD [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-3.14.6/work/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.10-rc3-vvmm_e1'

so seems that ati-drivers requires fixes similar to the nvidia drivers with remap_page_range from 6111 and pgd_offset from 6629 ...

I try to do something with it , anyone to try fix ati-drivers also ?

cheers
Macumba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got this error when i make make menuconfig, or s.th like this (make config, gconfig, xconfig...)
Code:

scripts/kconfig/conf arch/x86_64/Kconfig
file lib/Kconfig.RT already scanned?
make[1]: *** [config] Error 1
make: *** [config] Error 2

edit
THANKS!!

ogg - mp3

Last edited by Macumba on Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macumba wrote:
i got this error when i make make menuconfig, or s.th like this (make config, gconfig, xconfig...)
Code:

scripts/kconfig/conf arch/x86_64/Kconfig
file lib/Kconfig.RT already scanned?
make[1]: *** [config] Error 1
make: *** [config] Error 2

sorry my mistake :oops:

for x86_64 please use this patch : x86_64_config_fix1.diff from http://sourceforge.net/projects/vivid-sources -> 2.6.10-rc3-vvmm_e1 or to do this by hand. It`s one line error .
Code:

diff -Naur linux-2.6.10-rc3-vvmm_e1/arch/x86_64/Kconfig t2/arch/x86_64/Kconfig
--- linux-2.6.10-rc3-vvmm_e1/arch/x86_64/Kconfig   2004-12-17 12:19:57.000000000 +0100
+++ t2/arch/x86_64/Kconfig   2004-12-18 23:56:53.164007664 +0100
@@ -236,7 +236,7 @@
      cost of slightly increased overhead in some places. If unsure say
      N here.

-source "lib/Kconfig.RT"
+

config RWSEM_GENERIC_SPINLOCK
    bool

You must delete thins line -> source "lib/Kconfig.RT" from arch/x86_64/Kconfig

sorry and cheers.

[EDIT1]
ebuild corrected -> new ebuild -> 2610rc3vvmm_e1-ebuild_latest3.tar.bz2 on sf.net
[/EDIT1]
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no time to get upto speed on patching and reverse patching but I have two machines here I;ve just put 2.6.10-rc3-vv_e1 on .

One is GeForce ti 4200 (nvidia-kernel-1.0.6111-r3 ) the other is ATI radeon VE running the kernel ati drivers.

Both work fine . (the ati model is not supported by flgxcccccc\xz)

However, I just tried a quick test playing an audio CD and recording a 2s sample with audacity. The sound was , frankly shit.

You could tell what it was but you would not want to listen to it !

Now I just rebooted to 2.6.9-nitro1 and at a first hearing the sound was clean.

I'm sure with all the scheduler options and stuff on the vv kernel I can get someting set up way better if someone can offer some pointers.

I'm not looking to make a 32 track recording studio but if I can get a decent stereo snip of a CD and a clean live recording I will be chuffed.

TIA. 8)
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am still unable to get sound to work correctly. strange that the module isnt seen but can be modprobed... the problem is the same with strait mm or with either vv kernel on source forge. modprobing the driver gives me a card in proc but no device in gnome. this and the bonnie++ scores for vv as compared to nitro4 were aweful. and Gentree i am not blaming vv for anything but was asking in my previous post only if someone else had had a similar issue. i havent tried with with a strait vanilla 2.6.10 kernel since i am using reiser4 on both installs.
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree : I`m using 2.6.10-rc3-vv_e1 . I try to do that via audacity and everythink is ok here. Also I ask my friend Troll(vivid-stable maintainer) to do that, He said that also sound was ok.
We both have emu10k1 based msx cards.

nitro1 is 2.6.9 based , vv_e1 is 2.6.10-rc3 based , maybe in vanilla-rc is a some bug.Propably You don`t have proper time but testing pure vanilla 2.6.10-rc3 will be a good solution to localize error.

Rommel : I really don`t know - sorry . with emu10k1 it works correctly also Gentree said in some past post that is ok with loading modules ...hm , what sound card do You have via82* ?
Code:
CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX_PROCFS.patch
this is the one patch in vv_e1 for sound only, You can Try reverse it maybe is it.

this patch is in mm broken-out -> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.10-rc3/2.6.10-rc3-mm1/2.6.10-rc3-mm1-broken-out.tar.bz2
Code:
 patch -p1 -R < patch_name
in kernel_src for reversing of course.
Rommel , Can You post here bonnie++ result of Your comparison ?
it`s may be interesting in casue of 2.6.9 and 2.6.10-rc based kernels. Did You use the same IO schedulers in both ?

however , if You like nitro better and everything You want You have in it then imho is better to stay with nitro ;)

I don`t want to enforce abybody to vivid hihi :)
and , in addition vv_e1 is rc based so it`s more propability that something will be broken - this is release candidate and nitro is based on stable 2.6.9 , but don`t have some 2.6.10-rcX stuff .
Everytning has + and - hehe:)

I really like partial mm stuff like vv_e1 , full mm-based is too much unstable and error-risky for me , but from time to time...

Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rommel wrote:
strange that the module isnt seen but can be modprobed... the problem is the same with strait mm or with either vv kernel on source forge. modprobing the driver gives me a card in proc but no device in gnome. this and the bonnie++ scores for vv as compared to nitro4 were aweful. and Gentree i am not blaming vv for anything but was asking in my previous post only if someone else had had a similar issue. i havent tried with with a strait vanilla 2.6.10 kernel since i am using reiser4 on both installs.

I'm on R4 as well. I dont think your problem is kernel related. The module is there since you can modprobe it.

It sounds to me like there is a fault in your alsa config. What do you have configured that you expect will cause the alsasound init script to load that specific module?

HTH 8)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
however , if You like nitro better and everything You want You have with it then imho is better to stay with nitro

well I was not going to ditch vv before giving it a fair go!

I felt that there was probably something I could set up better to reduce the latency, but maybe not.

I get the impression that nitro is stalling a bit and I had some cd burn issues remaining with the 2.9.1 on which it was based. That's why I thought I would test out vv, after all it is mm (partial) based.

If someone invovled in developing this patch set tells me I'm not likely to get anything better I'll stop digging, but I'd like to give it a fair test.

8)
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Fallow... well i am pretty sure that the patch for via82xx is for oss... i use alsa... here are the bonnie++ for the latest nitro and vv.
Code:

2.6.9-nitro4

# bonnie++ -d /foo/ -s 4096 -r 2048 -u root
Using uid:0, gid:0.
Writing a byte at a time...done
Writing intelligently...done
Rewriting...done
Reading a byte at a time...done
Reading intelligently...done
start 'em...done...done...done...done...done...
Create files in sequential order...done.
Stat files in sequential order...done.
Delete files in sequential order...done.
Create files in random order...done.
Stat files in random order...done.
Delete files in random order...done.
Version 1.93c       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
Concurrency   1     -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
JaiBaba          4G   235  88 15381  21 17763   5   535  99 50945   6 196.6  10
Latency             63115us   85420ms   46072ms   52295us   99348us    3202ms
Version 1.93c       ------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
JaiBaba             -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
              files  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP
                 16 30272  52 +++++ +++ 20549  99 27118  94 +++++ +++ 21314  98
Latency             11333us    2947us    2948us     103us      93us     138us

2.6.10-rc3-mmvv_e1

# bonnie++ -d /foo/ -s 4096 -r 2048 -u root
Using uid:0, gid:0.
Writing a byte at a time...done
Writing intelligently...done
Rewriting...done
Reading a byte at a time...done
Reading intelligently...done
start 'em...done...done...done...done...done...
Create files in sequential order...done.
Stat files in sequential order...done.
Delete files in sequential order...done.
Create files in random order...done.
Stat files in random order...done.
Delete files in random order...done.
JaiBaba          4G   201  93 13914   2 16539   6   306  97 30974   8 167.3   7
Latency             73864us      128s   11185ms   55976us   25152us    4506ms
                 16 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ 20879  98 28600  91 +++++ +++ 21636  98
Latency               163us    2712us    2743us      92us      29us     136us

Last edited by rommel on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could we split the last line of those code blocks , they're make the thread a bit unreadable. 8)
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for Your effort Rommel :)
ok - split :)
Code:

JaiBaba-nitro       4G   235  88 15381  21 17763   5   535  99 50945   6 196.6  10
JaiBaba-vvmm        4G   201  93 13914   2 16539   6   306  97 30974   8 167.3   7
Latency-nitro          63115us   85420ms   46072ms   52295us   99348us    3202ms
Latency-vvmm           73864us      128s   11185ms   55976us   25152us    4506ms

nitro            16 30272  52 +++++ +++ 20549  99 27118  94 +++++ +++ 21314  98
vvmm             16 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ 20879  98 28600  91 +++++ +++ 21636  98
Latency-nitro       11333us    2947us    2948us     103us      93us     138us
Latency-vivid         163us    2712us    2743us      92us      29us     136us

so in first segment nitro is better ( sequential input/output )
but in second vvmm is better ( sequential create / random create )

also imho this test is not really correct as my sched latency test because : is only one repeat . reiser4 has random big latencies in acces to the i/o subsystem so it`s depend randomly.
nitro is better in first phase , vvmm is better in second phase.
also what I/O Scheduler did You use for this test ?

it`s interesting also what would be results of vv_e not vvmm_e :)

Gentree wrote:

If someone invovled in developing this patch set tells me I'm not likely to get anything better I'll stop digging, but I'd like to give it a fair test.

I`m happy of fact that You test vv :) it`s good :)
with my and Troll`s emu10k1 there is no problem with sampling on audacity, I think that is 2 possibilities :
- the drivers in 2.6.10-rc3 for You card has some bugs.
- hm....the drivers has some bugs ( hehe) :):) I like monthy python :)
- or bonus third option - maybe the drivers has some bugs ? :)

I`m really don`t know - there is no alsa patches in vv_e1 :(
maybe with 2.6.10-rc4 or I hope that with 2.6.10-stable will be ok

cheers
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
with my and Troll`s emu10k1 there is no problem with sampling on audacity, I think that is 2 possibilities :- the drivers in 2.6.10-rc3 for You card has some bugs.

That's odd because the system that gave me such poor sound also runs audigy (firewire) sound card.

The good news : I tried the same thing on my main box with an Ensoniq 128 PCI and the sound was clean with both kernels.

The systems are basically fairly similar , the major difference being the problem one has an Radeon card the other a GeForce.

I'll go back to verify the ATI based system now.

Hopefully I will be able to use the vv kernel. 8)
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:

Hopefully I will be able to use the vv kernel. 8)

nice :) I`m waiting for 2.6.10-rc4 ( bk13 today ) to do next vv_e release :)

I wad done bonnie++ tests again on my machine :

AMD Athlon 1.0 , 256 MB Ram, HDD ST3120026A , VIA KT133

kernels : 2.6.9-nitro4, 2.6.10-rc3-vv_e1 , 2.6.10-rc3-vvmm_e1

every test has 2 repeations ( to see randomization of latencies,reiser4 especially) t1 - first repeat , t2 - second repeat.
so it`s easy to see that results of first and second test for the same kernel can be much different hehe :)

selected I/O Scheduler in all kernels : Deadline
results here : text formated with Opera7.60p4
Code:

nitro-t1       2G    83  98 28119  28 13343  12   188  99 31990  17 129.9   7
nitro-t2       2G    82  98 29816  20 13202  13   192  99 32522  15 128.5   7
vv_e1-t1       2G    81  97 26637  19 12873  18   149  99 31427  19 123.6   7
vv_e1-t2       2G    78  97 26555  22 12899  19   148  99 31066  19 121.9   7
vvmm_e1-t1     2G    74  97 27244  20 17004  23   156  98 20545  31 106.0   8
vvmm_e1-t2     2G    81  97 28423  26 16958  22   169  98 20526  31 104.5   8
nitro-t1            158ms   11370ms    2638ms   48835us   57986us    3692ms
nitro-t2            162ms    4340ms    4828ms   51951us   59802us    3952ms
vv_e1-t1            181ms   10241ms    3724ms   66494us   47453us    3937ms
vv_e1-t2            182ms   15744ms    2953ms   67635us   62251us    3586ms
vvmm_e1-t1          218ms    8854ms    4560ms   78992us   23805us    4356ms
vvmm_e1-t2          185ms    9475ms    4659ms   77441us   20931us    4036ms
--------------------------Sequential Create---------------Random Create--------
Enterprise          -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
nitro-t1         16 14455  79 +++++ +++  7426  99  7975  96 +++++ +++  7416  99
nitro-t2         16 14956  83 +++++ +++  7364  99  7943  96 +++++ +++  7529  99
vv_e1-t1         16 15672  77 +++++ +++  7532  99  8069  96 +++++ +++  7740  99
vv_e1-t2         16 15609  78 +++++ +++  7606  99  8096  96 +++++ +++  7700  99
vvmm_e1-t1       16 15958  76 +++++ +++  7205  99  7900  96 +++++ +++  7390  99
vvmm_e1-t2       16 16286  75 +++++ +++  7281  99  8097  96 +++++ +++  7518  99
nitro-t1             8627us    7945us    8256us   10059us      27us     343us
nitro-t2              391us    8841us    8822us    6592us      23us     349us
vv_e1-t1              306us    8347us    8460us    8036us      25us     344us
vv_e1-t2              301us    8205us    8307us    6508us      26us     349us
vvmm_e1-t1            648us    8102us    8393us    8523us      21us     351us
vvmm_e1-t2            205us    7645us    8023us   13561us      22us     356us

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: