View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
felysium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: bootstrapped glibc with athlon-xp flags Reply with quote

I just bootstrapped with gcc3 and athlon-xp flags.
It seems everything went fine, not broken pipes and such.
I booted with the 1.1a release and after stage1, I symlinked to the gcc3 profile.
I changed make.conf to -march=i486 -O3 -pipe flags.
then emerged gcc
changed make.conf to -march=athlon-xp -mmmx -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -O3 -pipe.
ran bootstrap.sh
no errors, only bootstrapped once and totally optimized.

I compiled gcc3 the first time with i486 flags because the
gcc on stage1 tarball is compiled for i486 too.
Niek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's very cool :D Perhaps I'll try this tomorrow.

Can you please try to emerge perl, I can't get installed it with gcc 3.1 (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3674)

Thanks,

Niek.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying this yet, but would be nice to see some feedback. Compile error because gcc 3.1 compiled with march=i486???? I compiled it with march=i686 but that's not a hell of a difference.

Can you do a succesful rebuild of glibc from your system, after bootstrapping??????

Strange, hope it works then I have only one package which I can't compile to march=athlon-tbird, mozilla cause else I can't use flash and java plugin, must compile with gcc 2.95.3, this will be fixed by time.
Niek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it, and it works very good! I've no more problems compiling glibc and perl :D

Here is a mini-guide I've written:

How to install a GCC 3.1/binutils 2.12 based Gentoo 1.1a system:

* Boot the Gento 1.1a stage 1 CD
* Configure your network and set up partitions as described in the installation guide.
* Edit /etc/make.conf, set RSYNC to http://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage and set the compile flags to:
Code:
CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i486 -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i486 -O3 -pipe"

* Run "emerge rsync"
* Do "rm /etc/make.profile", followed by "ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-1.0-gcc3 /etc/make.profile"
* Edit /etc/make.profile/packages and replace the lines from "baselayout" to "xfree" with the following:
Code:
*>=sys-apps/baselayout-1.7.9-r1
*>=sys-apps/portage-1.9.13
*~sys-devel/binutils-2.12.90.0.7
*>=sys-devel/gcc-3.1-r4
*~sys-libs/glibc-2.2.5-r2
=sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.18-r2
>=sys-apps/sysklogd-1.4.1-r2
*dev-lang/python-2.2.1
>=x11-base/xfree-4.2.0-r11

* Run "emerge gcc"
* After that, edit /etc/make.conf and change the i486-flags to fit your PC. I use:
Code:
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -O3 -pipe"
Look for more optimalisations here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3732 or on the GCC website: http://gcc.gnu.org/
* Go to /usr/portage and run ./scripts/bootsrap.sh
* export CONFIG_PROTECT=""
* emerge system
* Follow the installation guide for installing the kernel/configuring grub/etc.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the problem is related to the binutils package used (2.12 instead of 2.11....) the only package different from my system. I found it ought it would be related to using march=i486 instead of i686 while compiling gcc for the first time. Well I don't want to recompile glibc now but I'll wait until gnome 2 is released.

Thkx for the fix, Alex
felysium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Niek for writing that summary!
BTW I reinstalled again yesterday, this time not on a temporary drive.
I did some changes to the way of installing, I don't know if it really matters:

before emerging gcc3, I emerged zlib and ncurses and eventually gettext (I don't use it)
and built them with -march=i686 -O3 -pipe flags.
Thereafter I build gcc3 with -march=i486 -O3 -pipe "as usual".
Recompiled zlib and ncurses (and gettext) with athlon-xp flags.
After all the usual bootstrapping.
emerge system went flawlessly, kernel built and works good, too :-).
I'm now running emerge kde and xfree86 built ok with -march=athlonxp -mmx ... etc.

I'm happy :-)
Niek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
So the problem is related to the binutils package used (2.12 instead of 2.11....) the only package different from my system. I found it ought it would be related to using march=i486 instead of i686 while compiling gcc for the first time. Well I don't want to recompile glibc now but I'll wait until gnome 2 is released.

Thkx for the fix, Alex
The compile problems of glibc and perl are NOT related to binutils. When I got that problems, I was using binutils 2.12. The problem is really related to the compile flags (i486 instead of i686).
felysium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niek wrote:
I tried it, and it works very good! I've no more problems compiling glibc and perl :D

* Configure your network and set up partitions as described in the installation guide.
* Edit /etc/make.conf, set RSYNC to http://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage and set the compile flags to:
Code:

* Run "emerge rsync"
* Do "rm /etc/make.profile", followed by "ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-1.0-gcc3 /etc/make.profile"
* Edit /etc/make.profile/packages and replace the lines from "baselayout" to "xfree" with the following:
Code:
*>=sys-devel/gcc-3.1-r4
*dev-lang/python-2.2.1

* Run "emerge gcc"
* After that, edit /etc/make.conf and change the i486-flags to fit your PC. I use:
Code:
Look for more optimalisations here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3732 or on the GCC website: http://gcc.gnu.org/
* emerge system

You forgot to mention that after running "emerge rsync", you have to unmask perl*-r4 in package.mask
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niek wrote:
The compile problems of glibc and perl are NOT related to binutils. When I got that problems, I was using binutils 2.12. The problem is really related to the compile flags (i486 instead of i686).

But now for the next question can you rebuild glibc with march=athlon from within your fully build gentoo using gcc 3.1 (compiled with march=athlon or whatever). 'm another question have you rebuild zlib (after building gcc march=i486) on which gcc depends????
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:idea: oops now I get it when using CHOST=i486-pc-linux-gnu you override the default installation of the iso image!!!! And I was looking at the optimisations flags, silly me :oops: . During the bootstrap they get mixed up. If I have some spare time I will test it. but it seems like a good explanation of the problem :roll: . Cya lX
Niek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

felysium wrote:
(...)

You forgot to mention that after running "emerge rsync", you have to unmask perl*-r4 in package.mask
No, that isn't needed because I noticed that perl 5.6.1-r4 is not longer masked :)
Niek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
Niek wrote:

But now for the next question can you rebuild glibc with march=athlon from within your fully build gentoo using gcc 3.1 (compiled with march=athlon or whatever). 'm another question have you rebuild zlib (after building gcc march=i486) on which gcc depends????
I tried that, and yes, I can rebuild glibc without any problems. This is very strange, when you try to do this without compiling GCC with -march=i486 in the beginning, you got "broken pipe errors...
felysium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=lx]
But now for the next question can you rebuild glibc with march=athlon from within your fully build gentoo using gcc 3.1 (compiled with
march=athlon or whatever). [/quote]

I tried that, with a gcc3.1 (compiled with athlon-xp) from within a fully (gcc 2.95.3) built gentoo. First I copied old libstdc++ to /usr/lib/. Glibc built ok, but xfree got errors in the directory "xc"
Thereafter I decided to built from scratch...

[quote=lx]
'm another question have you rebuild zlib (after building gcc march=i486) on which gcc depends????[/quote]

I built zlib and ncurses with i686, rebuilding them with athlon flags after I merged and built gcc3 with i486 flags. Building with i486 and no rebuilding is also possible. I don't know how this affects performance...
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: key is portage compilation? Reply with quote

Niek's mini-guide was very helpful. I'm in the middle of what appears to be a successful emerge system
after having run into the same problem compiling perl that he hit earlier.

I noted in that discussion that there was apparently a known issue with the sandbox
when using versions of portage compiled with gcc 3.1. Is it possible that Niek has
worked around this problem by having a i486-targeted gcc 3.1 be the active compiler
when portage is rebuilt during bootstrap.sh?

IOW, do Athlon users need to beware recompiling portage after their native compiler
is built with -march=athlon?
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your opion on this idea please (see above):
lx wrote:
:idea: oops now I get it when using CHOST=i486-pc-linux-gnu you override the default installation of the iso image!!!! And I was looking at the optimisations flags, silly me :oops: . During the bootstrap they get mixed up. If I have some spare time I will test it. but it seems like a good explanation of the problem :roll: . Cya lX

rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Speculation on why Riek's strategy works Reply with quote

lx wrote:
Your opion on this idea please (see above):
lx wrote:

I must confess I'm not entirely clear on who the "they" that you say get mixed up during the
bootstrap are, but if you're suggesting that you think GCC is compiling some things
incorrectly, I'm trying to avoid that conclusion. If GCC's "make bootstrap" works
(i.e. the stage 2 and stage 3 compilers come out identically), I think GCC itself is OK.

It seems that most of the GCC3 problems are not problems with GCC3, but rather with
programs that take liberties with languages (especially C++) that were forgiven by GCC 2.95,
but are no longer.

By the time the bootstrap script is run, all traces of the 486-targeted GCC 3.1 in Riek's
strategy have faded, AFAICS. GCC itself, glibc and binutils have all been built with
-march=athlon, and that same setup is used to build perl. The perl build problem that
Riek related (and I saw) didn't feel like a compiler problem, because the compiler was doing
its thing. The build bombed out because it couldn't find miniperl partway through.

Combine the comment that there was a known sandbox issue when compiling portage
with GCC3 with the fact that portage is rebuilt early enough in the bootstrap process
to be built with -march=i486 and that's where I reached my conclusion.
pbienst
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: What about a PIII? Reply with quote

Has anyone had any success with this approach on a PIII?

Bootstrap.sh fails after the installation of glibc because everything segfaults.

My compiler flags during bootstrap.sh were:

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium3 -funroll-all-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -mfpmath=sse -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium3 -funroll-all-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -mfpmath=sse -pipe"
may1937
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey pbienst..

I had to set -march to i686 for the glibc compile for the same reason. Everything else should work ok though..
CowMike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to compile my system with GCC 3.1 too, because Niek (I know him ;)) mentioned the performance boost :)

But which compile flags do I need for my AMD Tbird ? Just the standard ones, or are there "better" flags? :)
zend
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niek wrote:

Code:

* Run "emerge rsync"
Code:
*>=sys-devel/gcc-3.1-r4
*dev-lang/python-2.2.1

* Run "emerge gcc"
Code:
* emerge system

Thanks my gentoo 1.2 with GCC3.1 is worked on my P4 1.5G
CowMike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zend wrote:
Niek wrote:

Code:

* Run "emerge rsync"
Code:
*>=sys-devel/gcc-3.1-r4
*dev-lang/python-2.2.1

* Run "emerge gcc"
Code:
* emerge system

Yes, ok, but these are optimized for the athlon-xp... I have a athlon tbird ;)
felysium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowMike wrote:
zend wrote:
Niek wrote:

for athlon-tbird use this :
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-tbird -m3dnow -mmmx -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-tbird -m3dnow -mmmx -O3 -pipe"

You can chech this page for details:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.1/gcc/i386-and-x86-64-Options.html#i386%20and%20x86-64%20Options

athlon-4, athlon-xp and athlon-mp have no sse.

Last edited by felysium on Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
felysium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zend wrote:
Niek wrote:

Great! :)

Did you compile with -march=pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -O3 -pipe?
Just curious
CowMike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

felysium wrote:
CowMike wrote:
zend wrote:
Niek wrote:

for athlon-tbird use this :
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-tbird -m3dnow -mmmx -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-tbird -m3dnow -mmmx -O3 -pipe"

You can chech this page for details:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.1/gcc/i386-and-x86-64-Options.html#i386%20and%20x86-64%20Options

athlon-4, athlon-xp and athlon-mp have no sse.

Ah! Great! Are there also specific compile flags for a Via C3 Ezra processor ? :)
lasse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: key is portage compilation? Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Niek's mini-guide was very helpful. I'm in the middle of what appears to be a successful emerge system
after having run into the same problem compiling perl that he hit earlier.

I noted in that discussion that there was apparently a known issue with the sandbox
when using versions of portage compiled with gcc 3.1. Is it possible that Niek has
worked around this problem by having a i486-targeted gcc 3.1 be the active compiler
when portage is rebuilt during bootstrap.sh?

Yes, I would definitely say so after having built a gcc-3.1 system using both flavours of binutils and not experiencing any sandbox-related problems at all in either case. I did run into this problem earlier when bootstrapping using 2.95.3 so I think it's pretty clear that being able to use 3.1 from scratch does eradicate the problem. At least on this level, that is, I've no idea what the underlying reasons may be...
Quote:

IOW, do Athlon users need to beware recompiling portage after their native compiler
is built with -march=athlon?

No, need to worry about rebuilding portage (which happens as part of the bootstrap, at least when starting from the 1.1a iso-image).

There are still some other known issues to look out for (xanim, nvidia opengl libraries, kdemultimedia, lynx, htdig) but none of these are related to sandbox problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: