Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
What I was getting at with my questions earlier is whether you've ever compiled gcc on this machine? GCC self-compilation is one of the strongest stress tests I've ever seen for hardware. If you successfully compiled GCC 3.2 here though, I don't know what to say. I wouldn't have thought that 3.2.1 would be significantly larger than 3.2. I could maybe see how systems that could compile 2.95 successfully could have trouble bootstrapping 3.x, simply because the amount of code is noticeably larger.

I have compiled (self-compiled) all of the gcc's ever to live on the machine in question (also all of the libc's, qt's, pretty much everything). I don't think it is really an issue of 3.2 being "larger" than 3.2.1, something changed to start this behavior of large packages failing after upgrading to gcc 3.2.1/glibc 2.3.x
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:01 am    Post subject: AAArgh! Reply with quote

I upgraded to glibc 2.3.1-r2 and now my system is a mess. At the console (without X loaded at all), things seem to work fine. Gcc 3.2.1, however, now appears to be hypersensitive to my system settings (gcc 3.2 ran fine). Whereas before my system (including gcc and memtest86) would run great with some BIOS optimisations (e.g. running RAM at 2.0T speeds), gcc now throws errors unless I set everything conservatively (e.g. running RAM at 2.5T). In X, many apps (e.g. gthumb and sylpheed-claws) segfault upon startup. I tried recompiling (almost) everything (which took a few days), including the kernel, but this didn't help much. Qt was a pain to get compiled. Some packages, like transcode and openoffice, refuse to compile at all, even with simple -O2 and -pipe CFLAGS.

Often if I start X and then try to load a few apps, the console apps will become broken as well. Opening new terminals will fail, and simple commands like ls will segfault (even in consoles outside of X). This usually happens after trying to load KDE applications like Konqueror (I use GNOME for my desktop).

In short, my system is b0rked and unusable. Can anyone help me out on this? Perhaps I can downgrade back to glibc 2.x and gcc 3.2?
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: AAArgh! Reply with quote

Yama wrote:
I upgraded to glibc 2.3.1-r2 and now my system is a mess. ... Gcc 3.2.1, however, now appears to be hypersensitive to my system settings (gcc 3.2 ran fine). Whereas before my system (including gcc and memtest86) would run great with some BIOS optimisations (e.g. running RAM at 2.0T speeds), gcc now throws errors unless I set everything conservatively (e.g. running RAM at 2.5T).

Does memtest86 still work flawlessly? You indicate that gcc and memtest worked previously but do not mention memtest in you "subsequent" report.
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: AAArgh! Reply with quote

I was wondering, what flags did you use to compile glibc and gcc?

Yama wrote:
I upgraded to glibc 2.3.1-r2 and now my system is a mess. At the console (without X loaded at all), things seem to work fine. Gcc 3.2.1, however, now appears to be hypersensitive to my system settings (gcc 3.2 ran fine). Whereas before my system (including gcc and memtest86) would run great with some BIOS optimisations (e.g. running RAM at 2.0T speeds), gcc now throws errors unless I set everything conservatively (e.g. running RAM at 2.5T). In X, many apps (e.g. gthumb and sylpheed-claws) segfault upon startup. I tried recompiling (almost) everything (which took a few days), including the kernel, but this didn't help much. Qt was a pain to get compiled. Some packages, like transcode and openoffice, refuse to compile at all, even with simple -O2 and -pipe CFLAGS.

Often if I start X and then try to load a few apps, the console apps will become broken as well. Opening new terminals will fail, and simple commands like ls will segfault (even in consoles outside of X). This usually happens after trying to load KDE applications like Konqueror (I use GNOME for my desktop).

In short, my system is b0rked and unusable. Can anyone help me out on this? Perhaps I can downgrade back to glibc 2.x and gcc 3.2?
Yama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: KDE takes most of the blame Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
Quote:
Does memtest86 still work flawlessly? You indicate that gcc and memtest worked previously but do not mention memtest in you "subsequent" report.
I put my RAM timings back to their optimised state (2.0T, 4:3 CPU:RAM speed ratio, etc.) and re-ran Memtest86. No problems were detected. I have 2x 512MB Corsair XMS2700 (DDR333) sticks for a total of 1024MB RAM.
Quote:
I was wondering, what flags did you use to compile glibc and gcc?
I normally compile my system with the following flags:
Code:
-march=athlon-xp -mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -falign-functions=4 -maccumulate-outgoing-args
After I started to experience difficulty, I recompiled glibc and gcc with more conservative settings:
Code:
-mcpu=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe
Qt refused to compile with the optimised settings, so I built it with these settings as well. I'm only using the 'stable' packages.

I am a GNOME user, but I use Konqueror for file management and KOrganizer for scheduling. These two apps seemed to be buggy, and they didn't start correctly. After a while, it became clear that many of the problems I was facing only occur when I am running a KDE (3.0.4 or 3.1rc5) app. Many programmes segfault, including simple command line utilities like ls, in both user and root mode. When this happens, I can't even log into another terminal, and emerge doesn't work at all -- it just skips to Updating Portage cache without doing anything. If I kill KDE completely (including kdeinit) my system returns to normal. GNOME itself is slightly buggy (it worked very well before the glibc update), but the problems there are minimal.

So I guess the main problem lies with KDE. I find it strange that loading a file manager or scheduler as user can break even the console layer for root! Maybe it's a problem related to having two versions of KDE installed (3.0.4 and 3.1rc5), or maybe I need to compile it with less aggressive flags?

UPDATE: I just killed sylpheed-claws (a GTK+ mail client) because it froze on me (that's normal; Claws is an unstable development version of Sylpheed). However, it refuses to start up again. I tried running sylpheed-claws from a terminal, but nothing happens. The sylpheed-claws process is running, but I see nothing on my desktop. KDE is not running at all (not even kdeinit), so I don't know what the problem could be.

UPDATE 2: I fixed the Sylpheed-Claws problem. It was unrelated to this glibc problem. I emerged net-mail/evolution/evolution-1.2.1.ebuild and that exhibits similar problems to KDE. I haven't noticed any other apps that cause this.

Last edited by Yama on Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Miker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My problems as described in the following link :

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=26950

might also be glibc related - I'm using IntelliJ, which is a java program compiled to an executable - what should I do to make it run ? Reinstall the old version ?

thanks
Miker
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just successfully upgraded to glibc-2.31-r2, rebooted (didn't need to, just curious), no problems at ALL so far. Haven't recompiled anything and everything is working fine.

Very happy. I was concerned, but my fears were unfounded. :-)
rbonthond
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does one figure out if there are still dependencies left with the old glibc ?
messed up my system before with unmerging glibc and am really not looking forward to a new install... just want to be sure.
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbonthond wrote:
how does one figure out if there are still dependencies left with the old glibc ?
messed up my system before with unmerging glibc and am really not looking forward to a new install... just want to be sure.

The new glibc is backwards compatible. You shouldn't have to compile or recompile anything special to make it work. When it was still in testing a few people messed up or accidentally went forward then back... that's bad... but you shouldn't have any problems just going forward, or at least there have been very few compared to when it was unstable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: