Very odd login problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brient
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Very odd login problems Reply with quote

(FYI: I would have posted this in a different board, but I don't have this problem on my x86 running almost exactly the same software.)

I'm having one of the weirdest problems with logins that I have ever seen. For reasons unknown, sometimes logging into my system becomes impossible. I type a correct username and password, and the login shell hangs right after I enter the password. It doesn't matter if the username/password combo is correct – it simply refuses to work.

I can't determine what sets this off. Sometimes, I'll be able to log in and everything works fine, but after a time, this problem comes back. If I'm logged in when this problem starts, I still cannot log in to other consoles, but the ones I am on are not affected. Also note that I can't su to anybody when it begins, if I am logged in. On the consoles that I am logged in to, it seems that I can't fork processes. I can't start or stop daemons, run init scripts successfully, etc. but I can run programs in the foreground (e.g. mutt and vim). When I log out, it gets as far as executing my ~/.bash_logout, and then hangs. The terminal does not respawn after that. I can't halt or reboot on consoles that I'm logged in to, and pushing The Button this often has me a little worried. (Hooray for journaling filesystems?)

Most of the daemons that are running are fine. Apache keeps churning out pages, and CGIs work fine through it. Qmail keeps delivering messages to maildirs without problems. If I'm running sshd, it will stop working, obviously. The thing that really bugs me is that metalog stops logging any messages, thus my lack of any useful debugging information.

I don't know what to blame this on. I've tried several versions of pam, pam-login, and openssh, and there doesn't seem to be much of a change using them. Using a slightly older version of pam, it rejects bad username/password combos. I'm using a grsecurity patched kernel, but switching to a stock kernel didn't change anything.

I am so confused. Courses of action I can see:
- Start again from scratch (emerge --emptytree world)
- Start again from scratch (install an older version of Gentoo)
- Start again from scratch (install Debian, and pretend it's Gentoo)

Suggestions, anyone? Am I missing something obvious? I would file a bug report, but honestly, I don't know what I would file it against.

For reference, my system is a blue and white G3 running Gentoo 1.4_rc1. The only bug that seems vaguely related is #6612, and applying the changes described there hasn't done a thing. Other relevant installed software includes:
pam 0.75-r8
pam-login 3.7
openssh 3.5_p1
shadow 4.03-r2

It's all current as of a few hours before this post.
dr_dex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I'm running gentoo on a Blue&White G4, and I have the same problem. I used the ~ppc-keyword at first, but then I removed it and re-emerged everything. But it still won't go away. I've done the changes as proposed in the bug, so now I have to see if it works for me.

-- Robin
dr_dex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Very odd login problems Reply with quote

Ok. I got rid of it now! This is the way.

Make sure you have NOT set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~ppc" in /etc/make.conf, and then run the following command:

Code:
# emerge devfsd cracklib pwdb pam shadow pam-login

This will recompile all these packages in the correct order. Then just reboot to make sure all services/paths gets restarted.

This did it for me!

-- Robin
mattman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Interesting Reply with quote

I have / had the same problem on x86 and was unable to track it down (of course I tried rebuilding metalog, pam, et al. without optimizations and went through the usual problem-hunting routines). Everything seemed to freeze as it was writing to syslog (via /dev/log), so perhaps changing the order in which devfsd and the pam packages are installed makes the difference as well; I'll have to try that later on. After a couple of weeks of testing, ditching metalog in favor of syslog-ng seems to have fixed it. Odd.
dr_dex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting Reply with quote

mattman wrote:
After a couple of weeks of testing, ditching metalog in favor of syslog-ng seems to have fixed it. Odd.

I've also ditched metalog. It's not IMHO mature enough. Now I use msyslog instead, and it works much better (not that this has had any effect on the logon problems tough :) ).
pillo79
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is happening to me on x86 also; and it seems it's getting worser as time progresses (now login stops working almost once a day...). As usual a reboot fixes this.
If anybody found a solution, please advice. This is a real pain because my system is otherwise perfect :x
I will try the rebuilding solution in that order but I don't give much hope as I "emerge system" daily...
Thanks for help!
Luca[/quote]
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly deja vu! I'm having this exact problem on a G3 B&W.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=217623&highlight=login+hangs

I've been digging all over the forums looking for a solution and not even finding another reference. I'm just glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to think I'd been rooted.

I'm going to try the suggested reinstall of pertinant apps :
Code:
# emerge devfsd cracklib pwdb pam shadow pam-login

I've done this with pam, pam-login, and shadow, but not the rest.

I noticed the posts are from almost a year ago, so did anyone find a solution or even the cause?

Dual G5
iPod 3rd generation
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recompile did not work, what the hell is going on wiith this crap! :x

I'll go back to syslog-ng and see if it resolves it.

*Edit* Like magic there is no doubt it was metalog. I didn't even have to reboot. Login was fubar, emerged syslog-ng, unmerged metalog, than started syslog-ng and voila! no more block, could login fine.

Dual G5
iPod 3rd generation
gsurbey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I use metalog on all my production servers and I believe I have experienced the issue described in this thread only once or twice. It is very intermittent and hard to trace. Whatever it was it was crashing the login to my servers thus eventually forcing me to do downtime for hard reboots. After initial troubleshooting I found it hard to diagnose the exact source of the problem but after reading the above posts perhaps I should take a closer look at metalog.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: