Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbasinge wrote:
Got it working, I have a wide screen laptop, and I finally found a vga setting it liked.

Mike

with vesafb-tng you can enter in the resolution you want, 1280x800 or whatever for that matter. I guess as long as vesafb-tng works with your hardware.
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an existing initrd image and I tried to do a:
Code:
splash_geninitramfs -v -a /boot/initrd-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 -r 1024x768 default
to append to it but I get this error:
Quote:
o Unpacking /boot/initrd-2.6.8-gentoo-r3..
cpio: premature end of file
o Creating directory structure..
o Copying /sbin/splash_helper..
o Copying themes..
o Creating initramfs image..
and the size of the new initrd file is less than the original on, so naturally it does not work. The initrd file is valid and works as it should. Maybe a new feature of the geninitramfs could be to use an existing initrd file. Or is this a bug?
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motub wrote:

(...) I guess we should stop putting disclaimers on the end, since that is the point of a Wiki-- it's a community knowledge base project. So we probably shouldn't feel guilty about editing (it's just that I write, so I feel bad; there aren't many writers who like being edited ;) ).

I *hoped* Wiki would work like that but I wasn't sure (I'd never used it before). I feel a bit better now, thanks.

motub wrote:

(Plus, you didn't edit me, much, so I'm fine with it ;) .)

Now I did ;), but only the heading, to expand the 'Troubleshooting' section.
garnie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get i to work :(

I am using the Aquamatrix theme from bootsplash.de.

first i converted it via the bootsplash2fbsplash program, then made the initrd and added it to grub.conf and menu.lst, of course i have added splash to default via rc-update.

Code:

# Boot automatically after 30 secs.
timeout 30

# By default, boot the first entry.
default 0

# Fallback to the second entry.
fallback 1
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

# For booting GNU/Hurd
title  Garnie's Gentoo
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage root=/dev/hda3 vga=794 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal, 1280x1024-32@60 splash=silent,theme:Aquamatrix
initrd /fbsplash-Aquamatrix

there comes a picture when booting but it's not the way it should be, filling only the top of the screen, the same when shutting down / rebooting.

And the console images does not working at all, how ever i am quite sure that i have made a mistake some place i just don't know where :(
motub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, afaik, you no longer need the vga= option (you already have 1280x1024-32@60, which is the correct one with the new vesafb);

Secondly, did you check the conversion after using bootsplash2fbsplash (which I've never heard of before now, so thanks)? Did you look at the cfg file to make sure the paths were correct, that they pointed to the correct images, and that the images themselves were correctly moved to the new location?

As it rather seems that at least some of the images (the framebuffer backgrounds) are not being found.
upD8R
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used a bootsplash theme with an animation part. Anyway, Gensplash runs just fine here and because it should be compatible to bootsplash: How can I run animations with Gensplash?

Is there a HowTo available?

Thanks, Mario
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things that I believe may use clearing up here:

1. You can't 'mknod' the fbsplash device. Fbsplash is a dynamic char device. Make it static and it will break sooner or later.

2. Fbsplash and splashutils are not in any way limited to Gentoo. "But the progress bar won't work, and it complains about /proc/splash all the time" you might scream.. Yeah, it does, but guess what - in order to make the progress bar work, the initscripts have to be prepared to feed data to splashutils. Your distro's scripts may be prepared to work with bootsplash, or they may not be prepared to work with anything. If you want to have a working progress bar, modify the scripts yourself or ask your devs to support fbsplash/splashutils. The patches and utilities are not in any way Gentoo-specific (or at least haven't been made so intentionally).

Your best chance of making the progress bar work is searching for /sbin/splash or /sbin/splash.bin in the initscripts and changing it to /sbin/splash_util (modifying the command line options of course.. splash_util -h will be your guide :))

3. Some Debian systems seem to halt when using vesafb-tng. So far people reported that this is caused by the reset_vga_palette() funtion in console-screen.sh. I don't know exactly what is causing it (and it's not fully reproducible). If you want to use vesafb-tng the best option for now might be throwing this function out (it's not that you really need to reset the VGA palette at boot) or (I guess) using pmipal with vesafb-tng.

4. If kernel messages at boot time appear sooooo scary to the windows users (which is strange, don't BIOS messages scary them even more?), you can always try the 'quiet' kernel command line option.

5. Fbsplash/splashutils don't use /proc for anything. If your initscripts complain about /proc/splash, it's because they have been made specifically to work with bootsplash.

6. Want to use bootsplash themes with fbsplash? Use the bootsplash2fbsplash utility from splashutils.

7. Want /sbin/splash and other stuff used in Gentoo? Download http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/splashutils-gentoo-0.1.tar.bz2

8. Loopback device support isn't necessary, neither is RAM disk support. But if don't enable initrd, give up all hope of using initrds - you will have to compile the theme into the kernel.

9. Despite what people might be telling your, the theme: part in the kernel command line is necessary. Simple 'splash=silent' is NOT ENOUGH.

10. Want to change the font colors? man console_codes, look for 'set palette'.

11. You can't append initramfs data to an initrd image.

12. Making animations work with fbsplash should be no different than making them work with bootsplash. Gentoo currently doesn't support boot animations.

13. Splashutils compile errors ('modelist' incomplete type) are caused by a bug in the latest kernels' header files. I'm working on making splashuitls less vulnerable to this kind of bugs.
allan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:
4. If kernel messages at boot time appear sooooo scary to the windows users (which is strange, don't BIOS messages scary them even more?), you can always try the 'quiet' kernel command line option.

It's been a very long time since I've seen a BIOS do anything more than a splash screen; well, except on some of my older gear (5+ years) that I have working as dedicated devices.

The bootup sequence of a current generation windoze box is generally the BIOS splash, the "Loading Windows" splash and then the generic desktop background. No scrolling text messages (unless you are trouble shooting in safemode, but your average user wouldn't even go there).

The quiet parameter for the kernel does help some, but overall the aesthetic appearnce can be disconcerting when that text pops up.

BTW - Do you have any suggestions for the suppressing or minimizing the appearance of the console when it shifts between the splash screen and the X display manager?
arch4nge1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: splash works on shutdown but not on startup Reply with quote

The splash appears when I press Ctrl-Alt-Del but when it boots up, I can see it switches resolution to the framebuffer, but no splash. It then shows just the verbose boot up messages and at some later stage it tries to show a progress bar which constantly appears and disappears with each progress update but no splash screen.

I've followed the 5 steps as described on Spock's site too(http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/gensplash-in-5-easy-steps.php) and this is where I am stuck at the moment.

Also I keep seeing something like
Quote:
fbset not found
and
Quote:
libjpeg.so.62 not found
or something even though
Code:
ldconfig -v |grep jpeg
does indicate it is there and
Code:
which fbset
also reveals the presence of fbset in /usr/bin.

The kernel I am using is 2.6.8.1-nitro6.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
upD8R
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:
Gentoo currently doesn't support boot animations.

Spock, thanks for the clarification ...

Anyway, a general question: Ist vesafb or vesafb-tng required in order to setup fbsplash & Co.? Or could it also be used with any card-specific fb driver?

Mario
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: splash works on shutdown but not on startup Reply with quote

arch4nge1 wrote:
Quote:
fbset not found
and
Quote:
libjpeg.so.62 not found
or something even though
Code:
ldconfig -v |grep jpeg
Code:
which fbset

Seems like you have a separate /usr partition. You can temporarily solve your problems by copying the appropriate files to /sbin and /lib (I think the process is described in detail in the Gentoo Wiki). Anyway, this will be fixed in the next release :)

Quote:
Anyway, a general question: Ist vesafb or vesafb-tng required in order to setup fbsplash & Co.? Or could it also be used with any card-specific fb driver?

It can be used with any fb driver, but I've only tested it with rivafb, vesafb and vesafb-tng. If it doesn't work with the driver you use - please report it as a bug.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allan wrote:
spock_ wrote:

It's been a very long time since I've seen a BIOS do anything more than a splash screen; well, except on some of my older gear (5+ years) that I have working as dedicated devices.

The bootup sequence of a current generation windoze box is generally the BIOS splash, the "Loading Windows" splash and then the generic desktop background. No scrolling text messages (unless you are trouble shooting in safemode, but your average user wouldn't even go there).

The quiet parameter for the kernel does help some, but overall the aesthetic appearnce can be disconcerting when that text pops up.

I quite agree. Users will only change over if they perceive something is better. With the text appearing and the slow time it takes to display the image, most will prefer bootsplash and all that kernel badness that goes with it. Purely because they think it's better as it has almost zero test and a fast image display.
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
I quite agree. Users will only change over if they perceive something is better. With the text appearing and the slow time it takes to display the image, most will prefer bootsplash and all that kernel badness that goes with it. Purely because they think it's better as it has almost zero test and a fast image display.

Wait a sec, are we talking about late switching to the video mode or late displaying of the image? If it is the latter, there's no reason for the image to be displayed later than it was in bootsplash. If you're using a working initramfs image, the image will be displayed right after fbcon is initialized (which can hardly be called a 'slow time'). In the kernel log you should see smth like:
Code:

Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
fbsplash: console 0 using theme 'emergence'
fbsplash: switched splash state to 'on' on console 0

If you don't, then something is wrong with your configuration.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:

Wait a sec, are we talking about late switching to the video mode or late displaying of the image? If it is the latter, there's no reason for the image to be displayed later than it was in bootsplash. If you're using a working initramfs image, the image will be displayed right after fbcon is initialized (which can hardly be called a 'slow time'). In the kernel log you should see smth like:
Code:

Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
fbsplash: console 0 using theme 'emergence'
fbsplash: switched splash state to 'on' on console 0

If you don't, then something is wrong with your configuration.

I do see that - but I only see my image ~ 2-3 seconds after the screen turns black (fb initialised I guess). With bootsplash it came up straight away.
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:

Wait a sec, are we talking about late switching to the video mode or late displaying of the image?

I believe it's the late switching to the video mode. People (including myself :) ) probably got spolit by the fact that with vesafb it was instantaneous. And since fbsplash is usually used in conjunction with vesafb-tng (and with bootsplash many were using vesafb with the rcc patch), they assume that fbsplash is the culprit. At least that's how I see it.
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've added "splash" to my default runlevel and uncommented
Code:
SPLASH_TTYS="0 1 2 3 4 5"

in "/etc/conf.d/splash" but my theme is only visible on tty1.
Framebuffer works on all.

Thanks!
Mario
cloc3
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:

11. You can't append initramfs data to an initrd image.

I agree. But my question was a bit different.

Is there a way to load kernel-modules inside the bootsplash initramfs image?

I'm able to make a initramfs with all bootsplash and mkinitrd files, but kernel-modules are not loaded. Is it my mystake or a techinc initramfs limit?
spock_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloc3 wrote:
I'm able to make a initramfs with all bootsplash and mkinitrd files, but kernel-modules are not loaded. Is it my mystake or a techinc initramfs limit?

I think it's possible to load kernel modules from initramfs images (but I've never tried it, so it's not for sure). The way initramfs images are handled is a bit different though (/init is executed instead of /linuxrc) - you might wish to have a look a <kernel>/Documentation/early-userspace/ for info about this. Anyway, if all goes well, the new version of splashutils will support both initramfs and initrd images, so the problem might be gone soon :)
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the hell did I have to mess with it? It was perfect.

Now, when I get the "Setting framebuffer console images" (just before "Entering runlevel: 3" ) message during boot, my splash screen disappears for a moment. It's annoying because the text changes its position (goes a bit left). Then, after a moment, the text moves back right a bit and the splash screen reappears.

That's what i get in my logs:
Code:

Sep  1 23:52:42 mymachine fbsplash: switched splash state to 'off' on console 0
Sep  1 23:52:42 mymachine fbsplash: console 0 using theme 'emergence'
Sep  1 23:52:42 mymachine fbsplash: switched splash state to 'on' on console 0
Sep  1 23:52:42 mymachine fbsplash: console 1 using theme 'emergence'
Sep  1 23:52:42 mymachine fbsplash: switched splash state to 'on' on console 1
Sep  1 23:52:42 mymachine fbsplash: console 2 using theme 'emergence'
(...)

Why does it insist on "switching splash state to 'off' on console 0"?
Mr. Atoz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trials and tribulations, I _finally_ got mine working.... :-D

However, I HAVE to use the vga= in my grub.conf. Using the video= by itself never enables the fb. The neat thing about that is...my bootsplash comes up more or less instantly...no waiting. :-D

I am using ck-sources, 2.6.8-ck4, and I am using the stock vesafb, not vesafb-tng. Perhaps this is why the video lines don't buy me anything? Will the vesa-tng patch run cleanly against the 2.6.8-ck4 source?

I also get some funk in the kernel output, here is a snippet, I can post the whole thing if you like (it is rather long). It occurs right after the agp modules load. For this chipset, I have to load intel_agp, which auto-loads agpgart.
Code:

Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel 865 Chipset.
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 1911M
agpgart: Detected 8060K stolen memory.
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xf0000000
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.5 to 64
intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 49424 usecs
intel8x0: clocking to 48000
fbsplash: switching to verbose mode
tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.
mtrr: 0xf0000000,0x8000000 overlaps existing 0xf0000000,0x400000
[drm] Initialized i830 1.3.2 20021108 on minor 0: Intel Corp. 82865G Integrated Graphics Device
mtrr: base(0xf0020000) is not aligned on a size(0x4b0000) boundary
mtrr: 0xf0000000,0x8000000 overlaps existing 0xf0000000,0x400000
Badness in vc_resize at drivers/char/vt.c:758
 [<c023a70a>] vc_resize+0x46d/0x472
 [<c02334d2>] misc_open+0x0/0x2d1
 [<c0157c1e>] chrdev_open+0xed/0x214
 [<c014dd53>] dentry_open+0x109/0x222
 [<c02892ea>] fbsplash_disable+0x5d/0xd6
 [<c028964d>] fbsplash_ioctl_dosetcfg+0x19a/0x19c
 [<c01616ef>] sys_ioctl+0x113/0x264
 [<c0105a5f>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb

:?: Is anybody else running the i865 chipset :?:

One other question to spock or whoever...The splashutils 0.9_pre07 has a dependancy of baselayout 1.10.4, which in turn has a dependancy of sysvinit. After the emerge of all packages, I ran etc-update, and did a -5, because I had not modified any of the listed files. I figured, go with the new stuff. Now, my shell environment is a bit whacked, no color prompts and some strange keymap stuff. Is this by design of the new layout, or simply because it is still masked and not complete? Has init been taken out of baselayout and maintained in a separate package now? :? :? :?

Thanks---
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Atoz wrote:

However, I HAVE to use the vga= in my grub.conf. Using the video= by itself never enables the fb. The neat thing about that is...my bootsplash comes up more or less instantly...no waiting. :-D

I am using ck-sources, 2.6.8-ck4, and I am using the stock vesafb, not vesafb-tng. Perhaps this is why the video lines don't buy me anything? Will the vesa-tng patch run cleanly against the 2.6.8-ck4 source?
Thanks---

Of course you have to use the vga= option if you're using vesafb and want to get a higher resolution. If you were using vesafb-tng however, specifying the vga= option would (as far as I remember) cause an error about video mode not supported or something like that.

You can try the patch (any patch actually) out with the --dry-run option and watch the console output to see if it applies cleanly.
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

boot=/dev/sda
default=Gentoo-2004.2
vga=795

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.9
label=Gentoo-2004.2
read-only
root=/dev/sda3
append="video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr splash=verbose,theme:emergence"
initrd=/boot/fbsplash-emergence-1280x1024

I solved the failure in splashutils with adding a "*" in line 305... (see page before).

If i use "silent" and not "verbose" i can see a small status-bar loading for 2 seconds, after that i have only normal framebuffer.

Is something missing in my kernel (loopack etc. ?)?
arch4nge1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: splash works on shutdown but not on startup Reply with quote

spock_ wrote:
Quote:
fbset not found
and
Quote:
libjpeg.so.62 not found
or something even though
Code:
ldconfig -v |grep jpeg
Code:
which fbset
Seems like you have a separate /usr partition. You can temporarily solve your problems by copying the appropriate files to /sbin and /lib (I think the process is described in detail in the Gentoo Wiki). Anyway, this will be fixed in the next release :)

Thanks for the help Spock. I'd found the solution somewhere in the forums later on too. I've also noticed that 'make install' in /usr/src/linux does some stuff which I'm unaware about. What does it actually do? what is the significance of these extra files? Do I need to still copy over the bzImage if I run 'make install'? I normally just copy the bzImage over to /boot. In this case I've noticed that running 'make install' is crucial to making the splash work.

So now my splash screen is working, but I still don't see a progress bar. What do I need to do to get the progress bar? Do I need to run splash_geninitramfs or something?

Thanks.
Paranoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakub wrote:
Why the hell did I have to mess with it? It was perfect.

Now, when I get the "Setting framebuffer console images" (just before "Entering runlevel: 3" ) message during boot, my splash screen disappears for a moment. It's annoying because the text changes its position (goes a bit left). Then, after a moment, the text moves back right a bit and the splash screen reappears.

edit conf.d/splash-uncomment splash ttys line and remove 0.
Jakub
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: splash works on shutdown but not on startup Reply with quote

arch4nge1 wrote:
I've also noticed that 'make install' in /usr/src/linux does some stuff which I'm unaware about. What does it actually do? what is the significance of these extra files? Do I need to still copy over the bzImage if I run 'make install'? I normally just copy the bzImage over to /boot. In this case I've noticed that running 'make install' is crucial to making the splash work.

From what I know, make install in /usr/src/linux does several things:
1) copies the bzImage to /boot and names it vmlinuz-name-of-the-kernel (e.g. vmlinuz-2.6.8-gentoo-r3),
2) creates a symlink 'vmlinuz' which points to file in 1),
3) does the same for the config file (which isn't necessary to boot),
4) does the same for the System.map file (which also isn't necessary to boot),
5) a symlink called 'vmlinuz.old' is created which points to the old kernel, the same refers to the config and System.map files,
6) runs lilo (optionally).

So instead of running 'make install' you can just copy the 'bzImage' file over to boot (and rerun lilo if you're using it).

I'm sure the above is quite inaccurate so maybe someone alse will explain it better.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 10 of 29

Jump to: