View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
untiefe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Include HostName Reply with quote

RoadRunn wrote:
I actually modified the script to put the host name of the computer in the subject of the email so I know which computer the script is reporting on.

Code:
SUBJECT="glcu: New ebuilds for emerge $UPDATE on `/bin/hostname`"

I think, you could just use the Variable $HOSTNAME for that...

Maybe I will add it soon.

:: Cardigans - You're The Storm ::

glcu - gentoo linux cron update (full featured semi-automatic updates via cron)
dhurt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, bash is aware of environmental varibles and so it can use:
Code:

$HOSTNAME

zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, just trying to wrap my head around this.

this script will build binary packages of any updates, but not actually install them. it emails you reports of glsas, and what packages need updating. so by the time you read the email, the packages are built, all you have to do is 'emerge -uDk world' and you'll get all the packages you built overnight?

this is really cool. I have two athlon-tbirds, a 1.33GHz workstation, and a 700MHz server. sounds like I could run this script on the workstation. then if I felt like it, I could install the binaries on the workstation, if that worked ok I could then install the binaries on the server.
untiefe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zojas wrote:
hi, just trying to wrap my head around this.

this script will build binary packages of any updates, but not actually install them. it emails you reports of glsas, and what packages need updating. so by the time you read the email, the packages are built, all you have to do is 'emerge -uDk world' and you'll get all the packages you built overnight?

That's completly right. Packages that need other packages can't be prebuilt, but 'glcu' recognises this and tells you, you still need to do 'emerge system' manually. For most packages it works fine, though :-)

zojas wrote:

this is really cool. I have two athlon-tbirds, a 1.33GHz workstation, and a 700MHz server. sounds like I could run this script on the workstation. then if I felt like it, I could install the binaries on the workstation, if that worked ok I could then install the binaries on the server.

You could do it that way, but the binary packages are built with the USE- and CC-Flags of your workstation, and that might not be the same on the athlon-tbirds....

gnuageux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its abusive to sync daily? According to MOTD when I sync it says that anything that exceeds daily syncs is abusive.....

Registered Linux user#364538
untiefe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnuageux wrote:
Its abusive to sync daily? According to MOTD when I sync it says that anything that exceeds daily syncs is abusive.....

I read something different in the forums before, and I think that most people don't need daily syncing, because they don't have such critical systems at home. Daily syncing is only good to have actual GLSA's, but if you only have a dial-up connection, there is no danger in syncing only once a week, I think...

So before people put this script in /etc/cron.daily and occasionally sync during the day again (which would be abusive), I suggest to put this script in /etc/cron.weekly... Server-Administrators, who really (think they) need it, can run it daily if they want. I won't blame them ;-)

gnuageux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I dont think that its really nesc. to sync daily.

Registered Linux user#364538
untiefe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

After developing glcu - gentoo linux cron update for some time now, I think it is quite usable. Nevertheless I'm thinking of changing several things, and would appreciate it very much if you would comment my ideas:

1. Restructering glcu that it only sends one eMail and not two. Do the eMails get too long then, or would it be much cleaner to look only for one eMail?

2. Adding an 'automatic update' feature. Don't prebuild packages, but do an real upgrade during the night and send only the errors. It would be only for the brave...

3. Adding a 'quiet' option, so only send what has been done (not all the error logs). It would shorten the eMails very much.

4. Rewriting glcu in python. Because I like to learn python, I thought this might be a good project especially because I can probably use some emerge libs directly. Does anyone care about the language?

So, what do you want? (I appreciate any suggestions!)

blackcell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

untiefe wrote:
Hello everyone!

After developing glcu - gentoo linux cron update for some time now, I think it is quite usable. Nevertheless I'm thinking of changing several things, and would appreciate it very much if you would comment my ideas:

1. Restructering glcu that it only sends one eMail and not two. Do the eMails get too long then, or would it be much cleaner to look only for one eMail?
I'd prefer a single email only because I get too much as it is.

2. Adding an 'automatic update' feature. Don't prebuild packages, but do an real upgrade during the night and send only the errors. It would be only for the brave...
How do you plan on handling the package updates that require user interaction such as etc-updates?
Regardless if there were errors or not I'd prefer a mail telling me what was updated. Something like...
Emerge Package xyz.1.2.3 ---> Success!

3. Adding a 'quiet' option, so only send what has been done (not all the error logs). It would shorten the eMails very much.
Sounds good.

4. Rewriting glcu in python. Because I like to learn python, I thought this might be a good project especially because I can probably use some emerge libs directly. Does anyone care about the language?
Nope, Python sounds good.

5. What about...
Possible to include in the email what packages require user interaction? Besides the ones that require etc-updat'ing, others that include instructions outputted from ebuild scripts to update/complete the install.

So, what do you want? (I appreciate any suggestions!)

untiefe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Thanx for your reply blackcell)

I have another question. Which packages shouldn't be upgraded automatically?

- Kernel
- nvidia-kernel
-

what else?

CrashNBurns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Recommendation (minor) Reply with quote

untiefe,

A minor recommendation: Add the '-n' option to the glsa-check command such that it removes the color from the output before parsing. I was getting color control codes in the email which was quite distracting. Adding the '-n' option removes the color formatting.

Thanks,

- CrashNBurns

P.S. Thanks for putting this script together -- works great!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: