Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
lemerge : A script to update everthing possible.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
La`res
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: lemerge : A script to update everthing possible. Reply with quote

A simple script that runs emerge, looks for everything to update, and updates it.
If the package could not be updated, the last SKIPDONE if statement lets you know what couldn't be done.
It was made first as a function for zsh, so syntax may be different for bash || sh || csh ....
I have code as /usr/local/bin/lemerge.sh

Any of the normal emerge flags will be passed on to emerge
    /usr/local/bin/lemerge.sh world --sync
will result in emerge --sync and then emerge world.

Code:
#!/bin/zsh
# Lares' wrapper for gentoo's emerge.
# NOTE: ${/--sync} filters out the --sync flag.

echo "\nRunning lemerge.sh $*\n"

trap 'echo "\nIn trap"' ZERR

source /etc/make.conf

if [[ $USE = (*doc*) ]]; then
        DoDoc=1
        USE=${USE//doc}
fi

if [[ $* = (*--sync*) ]]; then
        DoSync=1
fi

EmergeOPTS=${*/--sync}

if (( ${DoSync} )); then
#       echo "in --sync String";
        emerge --sync;
fi

echo "\nRunning USE='-doc'emerge $EmergeOPTS\n"
echo "$USE"
echo "$EmergeOPTS"
emerge --update --ask  --deep --verbose --newuse $EmergeOPTS
# While $? not equal to success, continue with the rest.
        while (($? != 0 )) do ;
                emerge --resume --skipfirst;
                SkipDone=1
        done

echo "\nRunning revdep-rebuild"
revdep-rebuild

echo "\nRunning etc-update"
exec etc-update

if (( ${DoDoc} )); then
        echo "\n Running USE='doc' emerge $EmergeOPTS\n";
        USE={$USE doc};
        emerge --update --deep --verbose --newuse $EmergeOPTS;
fi

if (( ${SkipDone} )); then
        echo "\n\nThe Following could not be compliled by lemerge"
        exec emerge --update --deep --verbose --pretend --newuse $EmergeOPTS
fi

If you have any suggestions/ Ideas/ Problems. Post away.
Version 1.3 -- made the docs emerge After the main emerge
Version 1.2 -- added revdep-rebuild and made some other minor changes
Version 1.1 -- Removed --upgradeonly and added --ask and added #! line
Version 1.0 -- Initial Post

Last edited by La`res on Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this different from emerge -uD?
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainmaker wrote:
How's this different from emerge -uD?

Reading the script would tell you...it seems to be well-documented... :wink: Sorry, I'm in a bitter, pissy mood today. Please forgive my unforgiving mood.

Since you didn't, it looks like it does a -uD world, then if there's a failure, it does a --resume --skipfirst.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to try using --emptytree also, and using --updateonly is very bad....
crafteh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's wrong with using --updateonly ?
kamagurka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread, specifically this post
people need to be learning about the /etc/portage/package.* files.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamagurka wrote:
this thread, specifically this post
people need to be learning about the /etc/portage/package.* files.

So what do we put in /etc/portage/package that tells portage to never downgrade anything?
Drewgrange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it normal that it doesn't work in bash? (I'm guessing it was written for a different shell since it said /bin/zsh)
La`res
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge zsh....

If you like bash, you'll love zsh...

(in intrest of full disclosure, I am a zsh Zellot)
karnesky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EzInKy wrote:
So what do we put in /etc/portage/package that tells portage to never downgrade anything?
Nothing will do this--anythig too buggy or ridden with security holes will still be removed from even the unstable branch of portage. I suspect you like having some packages from unstable on a mostly stable system (if you want mostly unstable packages, set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" (or whatever) to /etc/make.conf). If my suspicion is correct, add lines to /etc/portage/package.keywords to tell portage to only emerge packages from the unstable branch. They'd look like "app-text/xpdf ~x86"
Entropy42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnesky wrote:
EzInKy wrote:
Nothing will do this--anythig too buggy or ridden with security holes will still be removed from even the unstable branch of portage. I suspect you like having some packages from unstable on a mostly stable system (if you want mostly unstable packages, set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" (or whatever) to /etc/make.conf). If my suspicion is correct, add lines to /etc/portage/package.keywords to tell portage to only emerge packages from the unstable branch. They'd look like "app-text/xpdf ~x86"

The problem is that this will cause the particular package to ALWAYS be ~x86 - In some cases a masked package is chosen because of a critical feature, but the user doesn't want that package to *always* be unstable.

A lot of work with version-specific stuff in packages.mask and packages.unmask will give similar functionality, but at significantly increased effort, and worse, increasing cruft in the packages.* files as packages "catch up" to the version they were bumped to. While these can be cleaned out manually, it's a lot of maintenance compared to emerge -Up to see what will be done followed by emerge -U once you're happy that nothing wonky will be done.
kamagurka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy42 wrote:
karnesky wrote:
EzInKy wrote:

The problem is that this will cause the particular package to ALWAYS be ~x86 - In some cases a masked package is chosen because of a critical feature, but the user doesn't want that package to *always* be unstable.

A lot of work with version-specific stuff in packages.mask and packages.unmask will give similar functionality, but at significantly increased effort, and worse, increasing cruft in the packages.* files as packages "catch up" to the version they were bumped to. While these can be cleaned out manually, it's a lot of maintenance compared to emerge -Up to see what will be done followed by emerge -U once you're happy that nothing wonky will be done.

that made no sense at all. you seem to have "keyword" and "masked" mixed up, additionally.
kavau
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy42 wrote:
karnesky wrote:
(...) If my suspicion is correct, add lines to /etc/portage/package.keywords to tell portage to only emerge packages from the unstable branch. They'd look like "app-text/xpdf ~x86"

What's the problem? Just add a line like "=app-text/xpdf-2.1 ~x86" to your /etc/portage/package.keywords. This allows you to install version 2.1 if it's still unstable, but won't upgrade to any version beyond that unless that version becomes stable. The only maintenance you'll have to do is cleaning out ancient entries in your /etc/portage/package.keywords file every now and then, but even that is optional, since the ancient entries won't do any harm.

Or, even, better, "<app-text/xpdf-2.2 ~x86" would install bugfix versions like 2.1.1 as well, but will not install 2.2 unless it becomes stable. (Disclaimer: haven't tried this actually, but this is how it should work)
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnesky wrote:
EzInKy wrote:

No, you suspect wrong. I enjoy running an unstable system and ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" has been in my make.conf for nearly two years now, and I really don't want to put my whole world file in /etc/portage.
karnesky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EzInKy wrote:
No, you suspect wrong. I enjoy running an unstable system and ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" has been in my make.conf for nearly two years now, and I really don't want to put my whole world file in /etc/portage.
So what exactly is the big deal? The fact that you have set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in your make.conf means you don't nead to put your whole world file in /etc/portage/accept_keywords. Any downgrades that are likely to come would be borked packages which were removed from the unstable branch. Are you saying you want borked packages :?:
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnesky wrote:
EzInKy wrote:
So what exactly is the big deal? The fact that you have set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in your make.conf means you don't nead to put your whole world file in /etc/portage/accept_keywords. Any downgrades that are likely to come would be borked packages which were removed from the unstable branch. Are you saying you want borked packages :?:

If it's already on my system, my system is already borked isn't it? Besides, how does a package get "unborked" if you don't have people testing it and giving feedback as to why it works on one system and not another and give people the opportunity to work on a fix the way they have been instead of whisking it away? Really, all I'm saying is that Portage should respect a users wishes and not automatically downgrade anything if the user specifically tells it not to downgrade anything.
kavau
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EzInKy wrote:
If it's already on my system, my system is already borked isn't it? Besides, how does a package get "unborked" if you don't have people testing it and giving feedback as to why it works on one system and not another and give people the opportunity to work on a fix the way they have been instead of whisking it away? Really, all I'm saying is that Portage should respect a users wishes and not automatically downgrade anything if the user specifically tells it not to downgrade anything.

I have to repeat karnesky's question: what's the big deal? Packages only get downgraded if it is found that they are seriously flawed. In that case you probably wouldn't want to have them on your system. And a package doesn't get "unborked" by more testing if the flaw has been found already. The best solution is often to withdraw the package, fix the bug, and then try again. Mind that this only happens with serious flaws.

If you think that this is "censorship" then fine, use the -U flag and be happy, nothing wrong with that. Gentoo does respect your wishes there. The -u flag basically means "I believe that the developers know what's good for me, so if they say a package is borked, remove it." It's completely up to you, so everybody should be content.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kavau wrote:

I have to repeat karnesky's question: what's the big deal? Packages only get downgraded if it is found that they are seriously flawed. In that case you probably wouldn't want to have them on your system. And a package doesn't get "unborked" by more testing if the flaw has been found already. The best solution is often to withdraw the package, fix the bug, and then try again. Mind that this only happens with serious flaws.

If you think that this is "censorship" then fine, use the -U flag and be happy, nothing wrong with that. Gentoo does respect your wishes there. The -u flag basically means "I believe that the developers know what's good for me, so if they say a package is borked, remove it." It's completely up to you, so everybody should be content.

Bugs get fixed by people finding and fixing them, and when you simply up and remove a buggy package you reduce the number of people who could be working on finding the fixes.

Quote:

The -u flag basically means "I believe that the developers know what's good for me

I thought we were talking about an open source system here B-)

Quote:

It's completely up to you, so everybody should be content.

Isn't leaving it up to the user to decide if he wants borked packages removed by having the -U option exactly what we are discussing?
La`res
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt it is safer for me to have the -U option removed. So I removed it.. If you want it. It's only one Character away... or if you use vi... iU^] :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: