nVidia geForce FX 5900 causing problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soaringcondor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: nVidia geForce FX 5900 causing problems Reply with quote

This is a fork of a thread I started in the Desktop Forums started over here due to the problem being different than I initially assumed. Anyways, on to the issues.

I have a nVidia geForce FX 5900 in my system and after running X.Org for a while the X server will either crash, booting me back to my console if I launched from startx or KDM if I used it or it will hang the system and I will be unable to do anything except a hard reboot. This occurs in both KDE and Fluxbox and happens when using the stock "nv" driver and one monitor as well as several versions of the "nvidia" driver on both one monitor and running in TwinView.

The wierdest thing is, if the system does hang I do a hard shutdown, when I press the power button again it will start to come up and shut itself off suddenly, before any information appears. I press the power button again and it will launch but for some reason the BIOS sets the CPU frequency to 1350MHz (it's an Athlon XP 2800+, should be 2.2GHz) and none of the BIOS settings appear to be changed! It will only actually boot in that condition about half the time, the other half tripping all sorts of wierd errors about the CPU speed.

The only way I have been able to correct the BIOS is to restore the factory default (none of the settings change and nothing I can switch manually will fix it) and modify the options that are needed (nothing essential, I've tried it without changing everything and with setting my settings back.)

My Motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with the nForce2 chipset. This is a fresh install (I just got X "working" today.) Both hangs and crashes result in the following in the xorg log:

Code:
 *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
    *** be the reason for the server rebooting

Fatal server error:
 Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

Please consult the X.Org Foundation support
          at http://wiki.X.Org
  for help.
 Please alsa check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

Other than those lines, nothing new is added to the log between the servers launch and it's crashing.

I will be happy to provide any other information needed to resolve this.[/url]

EDIT: I downloaded and update the BIOS from ASUS and it's been running fine now for the last few hours making me think it's fixed. :wink:
soaringcondor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My system hung again. I did, however, find the setting that would change in the BIOS. The FSB Spectrum Spread gets set to 50%, meaning the FSB speed drops to it's lowest setting (100MHz versus 166MHz) and takes the CPU speed down accordingly.

Bad news is I still have no idea whats causing this problems, other than that it has something to do with the combination of Linux and my hardware since it dosn't happen under Windows.
r3pek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you compile xorg with -fstack-protector in your CFLAGS?! if you do you have to recompile it without that flag. i had the same problem that you, and it just needed a recompile without -fstack-protector.
blixel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soaringcondor wrote:
My system hung again. I did, however, find the setting that would change in the BIOS. The FSB Spectrum Spread gets set to 50%, meaning the FSB speed drops to it's lowest setting (100MHz versus 166MHz) and takes the CPU speed down accordingly.

Bad news is I still have no idea whats causing this problems, other than that it has something to do with the combination of Linux and my hardware since it dosn't happen under Windows.

Wondering if you ever resolved this? I have almost the same hardware you have - ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, GeForce FX5700 Ultra - and I'm experiencing the same kind of problem. X will occasionally 'freeze up' ... my mouse cursor can move around part of the screen, but not all of it, and all programs completely freeze. I am able to SSH into the machine though. Sometimes I can shutdown gdm (/etc/init.d/xdm stop) and then start it again and that will bring me back to the login screen. That doesn't always work though. Usually I have to reboot.

Another strange problem that started happening more recently is where X will crash and put me back at the login screen. Then as soon as I type the first letter of my login name, the login manager will crash and then come right back up. It stays in that state constantly until I reboot. I can't even do a CTRL+ALT+F1 ... as soon as I press CTRL, the login manager crashes (resets, whatever).

And like you pointed out, this is only a problem in Linux. Windows is fine.

If I knew for sure it was the motherboard - which I think it probably is - I'd buy a new one tomorrow. But I'd hate to go through all that work and expense for nothing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: