Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Has anyone got a custome Domain/hostname?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korr.ban
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Has anyone got a custome Domain/hostname? Reply with quote

I have seen in dif places on the web aswell as IRC people showing up with hostnames such as you.dont.know.jack

What tools do they use to set this up on their server. Do they run a DNS server for this or what. I have not been able to find any information about this.

From the research I have done it seems that I need to read the DNS-Howto and follow those instructions... Anyone care to comment? Have any experience with DNS?
Registered Linux User #375052

DevShell - Viva La Revolusion!

Last edited by Korr.ban on Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedDawn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone got a custome Domain/hostname? Reply with quote

Korr.ban wrote:
I have seen in dif places on the web aswell as IRC people showing up with hostnames such as you.dont.know.jack

What tools do they use to set this up on their server. Do they run a DNS server for this or what. I have not been able to find any information about this.

Well first of all i have my own domain name.. http://yourowndisaster.net

I also run my own DNS servers

ns1.yourowndisaster.net
ns2.yourowndisaster.net

and with that anybody that accesses my name server i can tell them to go to...

http://mail.yourowndisaster.net
http://status.yourowndisaster.net
http://irc.yourowndisaster.net
and so on..

as long as you have your own domain name and a dns server you can manage you got it! made 8)
gnuageux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or you could setup wildcard records so that anyone who browses to any subdomain I.e status.xxxxxxxx.com or noname.xxxxxxxx.com or yousuck.xxxxxxxxx.com gets sent to the same host. Thats always fun :)

Registered Linux user#364538
Souperman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone got a custome Domain/hostname? Reply with quote

Korr.ban wrote:

The comments above are valid but do not apply to the custom hosts you see on IRC. For those you need a domain name, a static IP, and you need to be able to change the reverse DNS entry for the static IP, so that a DNS lookup on the IP returns "bla.bla.bla.something.yourdomain.net".
devon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Souperman wrote:
The comments above are valid but do not apply to the custom hosts you see on IRC. For those you need a domain name, a static IP, and you need to be able to change the reverse DNS entry for the static IP, so that a DNS lookup on the IP returns "bla.bla.bla.something.yourdomain.net".

I thought running your own identd server on your machine could accomplish the same thing.
Souperman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, identd is a way of telling the remote server the username associated with a specific connection. If I am logged in as 'moo' and connect to an IRC server, the server will try and query an ident server on the machine I'm connecting from, something along the lines of "hey I'm getting a connection from one of your users, the local port is xyz, please tell me the username. the ident server then figures out what process is using local port xyz and tells the IRC server, "that's 'moo'". That's where the "ident" part of an IRC hostmask comes from (i.e. nick!ident@hostname).

HTH.
Korr.ban
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone got a custome Domain/hostname? Reply with quote

RedDawn wrote:

as long as you have your own domain name and a dns server you can manage you got it! made 8)

I have 3 domain names planetuxo.com, rubixware.com, and iraqlug.com
What DNS software do you run?

Also, isnt it true that if your DNS server goes down that your domain name can be stolen? Is there any risk in running your own DNS?

RedDawn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone got a custome Domain/hostname? Reply with quote

Korr.ban wrote:
RedDawn wrote:

I have 3 domain names planetuxo.com, rubixware.com, and iraqlug.com
What DNS software do you run?

Also, isnt it true that if your DNS server goes down that your domain name can be stolen? Is there any risk in running your own DNS?

BIND9 took me a while to understand it. but with Webmin i got the hang of it..

I dont know there's any risk of running your own dns serves.. Besides the fact that if you connection to the internet goes down so does your DNS servers.. and that it takes like 1.5-2 days for the new records to propagate through the net!

I run two dns server just in case one fails.. and they work like the should the secondary went down once but it was cuz the router had frozen at work! (danm linksys)

and i dont know about Domain Hijacking.. i think for that you need to acctually get the Password and Username of the MAIN root server to access the domain info..

For example i have two usernames

MAIN= Administrator
Secondary=just to manage name servers..

it all depends on just how carefull you are!
Korr.ban
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you used bind as your DNS server. Well...that is my next project then. Please post any helpful links here that have helped you. And if you could provide some example configs that would be great 8) I am thinking of letting my domain name provider host one DNS server and I will host the other on the server. After you setup the dns server what do you need to change for your computer to use that DNS info. I had changed the resolv.conf to use the servers on my domain name host aswell as changed the servers in dnsmasq to the domain name host. Nothing changed...

Thanks for the help.

RedDawn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the router configuration page (ie) linksys.. in the dns server section just put you dns servers before the rest and next time your comptuer gets an ip address the computer will know to use the dns server listed in order! (ie) put your's first and the computer will use your's first! 8)

ill post my configs later as im also helping someone designed a dns server for a internal network..

talk to you later..
Korr.ban
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedDawn wrote:
In the router configuration page (ie) linksys.. in the dns server section just put you dns servers before the rest and next time your comptuer gets an ip address the computer will know to use the dns server listed in order! (ie) put your's first and the computer will use your's first! 8)

ill post my configs later as im also helping someone designed a dns server for a internal network..

talk to you later..

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: