Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dear United Stateians
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3343

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for clarification, are they still called "freedom fries"?
_________________
"Sex: breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Jun 2002
Posts: 213
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
for clarification, are they still called "freedom fries"?

The restaurant I saw them in doesn't. I don't know about the Congressional caffeterias.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3343

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you see, if you had never changed their name from chips then none of this would ever have happened :wink:
_________________
"Sex: breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ravingsanity
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Posts: 61
Location: El Cerrito, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a stupid question...why should I automatically love my country and blindly follow some misquided, predetermined, dogmatic nationalistic agenda just because by some accident of fate I happened to be born here (in the USA)? I've heard the "love it or leave it" thing throughout my life and this whole "you're either with us or against us" thing is total BS that I just can't buy. It's supposed to be the land of the free (as in speech) but if you say, "sorry, there are many problems with the USA and my fellow Americans tend to piss me off more than anything as the vast majority of them seem to be arrogant, loud-mouthed assholes that feel like they're God's gift to humanity," you get labelled a commie/terrorist/whatever and are told to leave without so much as a thought about what was being said and never stopping to think, "hey, maybe we are dicks and need to change a few things".

I'm not saying I hate the USA because there are many things about it that I do quite like, but one of the things I completely abhor is blind nationalism that is completely devoid of any kind of critical thought. However, all that being said, I must confess that I do love my country and it's because I care that I speak up at all and say "hey, we're pretty fucked up over here and maybe we need to do something about it". Maybe it's just me but I refuse to blindly swallow what my government is trying to cram down my throat without even so much as a hearty "just what in the hell kind of crap are you trying to feed me, anyway?"

I also think this country is just too damn big with too many people in it with viewpoints so far apart that they will never find a middle ground and we'll always be fighting with each other but that's another story...

Guess I'm a bit off-topic at this point...oh, well...rants come when they will...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uppi
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Jan 2004
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about "US Americans"? In German you say "US Amerikaner" if you want to make it clear that somebody is from the USA and not just from America...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anior
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Posts: 317
Location: European Union (Stockholm / Sweden)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I went over to tshirthell the other day.

They had a tshirt about iraq that I found quite tasteless, yet it's nice to see that you can joke about everything.

They had another one about pedophiles, it's still tasteless and still nice that you can joke about everything.

There's also one about the postal shootings aswell as the school shootings.

However, the only tshirt that they considered to be so disguisting that they actually had to defend it, where the one with "I (plane) NY"(to the right, halfway down) on.

As an outsider, that gives you quite a strange view on the morals and ethics of american society post september 11th.

And as always, I don't think that this applies to everyone. (or as Scott Adams putt it, "I only make fun of stupid managers. If you think that you are a smart manager, this doesn't apply for you.")
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spectrum
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Posts: 52
Location: ::1/128

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anior wrote:

However, the only tshirt that they considered to be so disguisting that they actually had to defend it, where the one with "I (plane) NY"(to the right, halfway down) on.

As an outsider, that gives you quite a strange view on the morals and ethics of american society post september 11th.

And as always, I don't think that this applies to everyone. (or as Scott Adams putt it, "I only make fun of stupid managers. If you think that you are a smart manager, this doesn't apply for you.")


The point of a shirt like that is that if the citizens of the United States can't look at the incident with the same comedy and ignorance that they viewed the Waco Massacre, WW2, WW1, Women's Suffrage, Equal Rights, the postal shootings, the school shootings, etc..etc..etc.. then the US has lost the war on terrorism. Terrorism is used to incite fear. Being afraid to make a joke is no different that being afraid to go to a baseball game, IMO. It's all fear that has been incited by terrorists....so they have won.

I don't think that a statement like that is appropriate, however if someone wanted to wear the shirt, perhaps to point out that United Statians are, in general, ignorant, then I would support his right to do so.

Enough of this liberal bullshit. I know that it's all you Europeans hear, but drop the liberalism.....not all conservatives are as insane as a23d56. At the same time, not all liberals are as stupid as....say....Jesse Jackson.
_________________
Registered Linux User #358898

Designed to pull more than inward
Crippled by love and the girl...
And for once the dunce in the class
Could learn to be more of less - Nick Blazina

irc://freenode#otw
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jay
l33t
l33t


Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 980

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpsii wrote:
Read, dammit! It is the United States of America. So, call us Americans, like the world has since we came into existance.


You can call yourself whatever you want but you have to acknowledge the fact that others can call you whatever THEY want. Got it?
_________________
Do you want your posessions identified? [ynq] (n)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
solomonHk
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Mar 2004
Posts: 226
Location: int main(void) { };

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay wrote:
mpsii wrote:
Read, dammit! It is the United States of America. So, call us Americans, like the world has since we came into existance.


You can call yourself whatever you want but you have to acknowledge the fact that others can call you whatever THEY want. Got it?


Yes, it is that theory that allows me to consider everyone but me imbicils.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spectrum
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Posts: 52
Location: ::1/128

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solomonHk wrote:

Yes, it is that theory that allows me to consider everyone but me imbicils.


fucking moronic asshole
_________________
Registered Linux User #358898

Designed to pull more than inward
Crippled by love and the girl...
And for once the dunce in the class
Could learn to be more of less - Nick Blazina

irc://freenode#otw
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
solomonHk
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Mar 2004
Posts: 226
Location: int main(void) { };

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectrum wrote:
solomonHk wrote:

Yes, it is that theory that allows me to consider everyone but me imbicils.


fucking moronic asshole


Not my fault your parents lived under powerlines when you were an infant. 8O
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spectrum
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Posts: 52
Location: ::1/128

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solomonHk wrote:
spectrum wrote:
solomonHk wrote:

Yes, it is that theory that allows me to consider everyone but me imbicils.


fucking moronic asshole


Not my fault your parents lived under powerlines when you were an infant. 8O


but wouldn't that be convenient for you...

so now your theory is that everyone but you lived underneath powerlines as an infant....

and you call *ME* arrogant...hmmph
_________________
Registered Linux User #358898

Designed to pull more than inward
Crippled by love and the girl...
And for once the dunce in the class
Could learn to be more of less - Nick Blazina

irc://freenode#otw
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Posts: 3829
Location: Essen, Germany

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectrum and SolomonHK,

I banned your accounts. Calm down guys.

If you want to apologize for your actions go for it. Until you do that, you are not welcome on these forums.
_________________
"To have a successful open source project, you need to be at least somewhat successful at getting along with people." -- Daniel Robbins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum