Optimization settings
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterTwo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Optimization settings Reply with quote

I will be installing Gentoo 2004.1 tomorrow on a dual athlon 2000+ with 1gig of ram. What would be the best optimizations to use? And how do I start the install so that gcc takes advantage of both processors while it builds the system.

Thanks,
Jason
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimization settings Reply with quote

MisterTwo wrote:
I will be installing Gentoo 2004.1 tomorrow on a dual athlon 2000+ with 1gig of ram. What would be the best optimizations to use?

See the CFLAGS Central thread. My personal (take this word to heart - this topic can generate endless flamewars) recommendation is
Code:
-march=athlon-xp -mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe

If you want to go for stability rather than speed you can use -O2 instead of -O3. But normally you shouldn't have any issues with -O3.

If you're using GCC 3.3.3, then you can also add
Code:
-ftracer

MisterTwo wrote:
And how do I start the install so that gcc takes advantage of both processors while it builds the system.

Edit /etc/make.conf and make sure it contains
Code:
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Optimization settings Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
MisterTwo wrote:
I will be installing Gentoo 2004.1 tomorrow on a dual athlon 2000+ with 1gig of ram. What would be the best optimizations to use?

See the CFLAGS Central thread. My personal (take this word to heart - this topic can generate endless flamewars) recommendation is
Code:
-march=athlon-xp -mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe

If you want to go for stability rather than speed you can use -O2 instead of -O3. But normally you shouldn't have any issues with -O3.

If you're using GCC 3.3.3, then you can also add
Code:
-ftracer

MisterTwo wrote:
And how do I start the install so that gcc takes advantage of both processors while it builds the system.

Edit /etc/make.conf and make sure it contains
Code:
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

if you have -march in your cflags, then you dont need -mcpu.
i also think that -mcpu is not used anymore, now its -mtune or something.
maby thats only for GCC 3.4, i dont know.
search if you want to know :)
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Optimization settings Reply with quote

GentooBox wrote:

Wrong. -march implies -mcpu, true. However, there are ebuilds that filter out -march. If you encounter such a beast, and if you don't have -mcpu in your CFLAGS, you'll end up with no CPU-specific optimizations at all. Having -mcpu in the CFLAGS ensures that in those cases you'll at least get the instruction stream tuned for your CPU, even if it doesn't use architecture-specific instructions.
GentooBox wrote:
i also think that -mcpu is not used anymore, now its -mtune or something.
maby thats only for GCC 3.4, i dont know.

In GCC 3.4 the -mcpu syntax is deprecated in favor of -mtune, but even GCC 3.4 still accepts -mcpu as a synonym.
GentooBox wrote:
search if you want to know :)

Now that's a piece of advice I'd like to give right back to you... :D

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Optimization settings Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
GentooBox wrote:

Wrong. -march implies -mcpu, true. However, there are ebuilds that filter out -march. If you encounter such a beast, and if you don't have -mcpu in your CFLAGS, you'll end up with no CPU-specific optimizations at all. Having -mcpu in the CFLAGS ensures that in those cases you'll at least get the instruction stream tuned for your CPU, even if it doesn't use architecture-specific instructions.

well, there is no such ebuild ;)
only libvorbis, and that was because of a bug and that bug is fixed in -r2
EDIT: and crack-attack, but what the heck.

Quote:
# find * |xargs grep march |grep filter
dev-lang/squeak/squeak-3.6_p3.ebuild: filter-flags "-fPIC" "-maltivec" "-mabi= altivec" "-fstack-protector" "-pipe" "-g" "-mtune" "-march" "-mcpu" "-O" "-O1" " -O2" "-Os" "-O3" "-freorder-blocks" "-fprefetch-loop-array" "-fforce-addr"
dev-lang/squeak/squeak-3.4.1-r1.ebuild: filter-flags "-fPIC" "-maltivec" "-mabi= altivec" "-fstack-protector" "-pipe" "-g" "-mtune" "-march" "-mcpu" "-O" "-O1" " -O2" "-Os" "-O3" "-freorder-blocks" "-fprefetch-loop-array"
dev-lang/squeak/squeak-3.4.1-r2.ebuild: filter-flags "-fPIC" "-maltivec" "-mabi= altivec" "-fstack-protector" "-pipe" "-g" "-mtune" "-march" "-mcpu" "-O" "-O1" " -O2" "-Os" "-O3" "-freorder-blocks" "-fprefetch-loop-array" "-fforce-addr"
dev-libs/libxml2/ChangeLog: line with scrollkeeper and gconf (#26320). filters for all marchs
dev-lisp/clisp/clisp-2.31-r1.ebuild: is-flag -march=athlon-xp && filter-flags -O?
eclass/crosscompile.eclass: filter-flags "-march= -mcpu="
games-arcade/crack-attack/crack-attack-1.1.10.ebuild: [ "`gcc-fullversion`" == "3.2.3" ] && filter-flags -march=pentium3
games-arcade/crack-attack/ChangeLog: Add filter-flags to remove march=pentium3 #30483.
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1-r1.ebuild: is-flag -march=k6-3 && filter-flags -fomit-frame-pointer
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1-r1.ebuild: is-flag -march=k6-2 && filter-flags -fomit-frame-pointer
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1-r1.ebuild: is-flag -march=k6 && filter-flags -fomit-frame-pointer
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1-r1.ebuild: filter-flags -march=pentium?
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1.ebuild: is-flag -march=k6-3 && filter-flags -fomit-frame-pointer
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1.ebuild: is-flag -march=k6-2 && filter-flags -fomit-frame-pointer
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1.ebuild: is-flag -march=k6 && filter-flags -fomit-frame-pointer
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1.ebuild: filter-flags -march=pentium?
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0-r4.ebuild: is-flag "-march=k6-3" && filter-flags "-fomit-frame-pointer"
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0-r4.ebuild: is-flag "-march=k6-2" && filter-flags "-fomit-frame-pointer"
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0-r4.ebuild: is-flag "-march=k6" && filter-flags "-fomit-frame-pointer"
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0-r4.ebuild: # filter march, see bug #26463 for details
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0-r4.ebuild: filter-flags "-march=pentium?"
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1-r2.ebuild: is-flag -march=k6-3 && filter-flags -fomit-frame-pointer
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1-r2.ebuild: is-flag -march=k6-2 && filter-flags -fomit-frame-pointer
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1-r2.ebuild: is-flag -march=k6 && filter-flags -fomit-frame-pointer
media-libs/libvorbis/libvorbis-1.0.1-r2.ebuild: filter-flags -march=pentium?
media-sound/lame/lame-3.96.ebuild: is-flag "-march=k6-3" && filter-flags "-fomit-frame-pointer"
media-sound/lame/lame-3.96.ebuild: is-flag "-march=k6-2" && filter-flags "-fomit-frame-pointer"
media-sound/lame/lame-3.96.ebuild: is-flag "-march=k6" && filter-flags "-fomit-frame-pointer"
media-sound/lame/lame-3.93.1-r1.ebuild: is-flag "-march=k6-3" && filter-flags "-fomit-frame-pointer"
media-sound/lame/lame-3.93.1-r1.ebuild: is-flag "-march=k6-2" && filter-flags "-fomit-frame-pointer"
media-sound/lame/lame-3.93.1-r1.ebuild: is-flag "-march=k6" && filter-flags "-fomit-frame-pointer"
media-sound/yammi/yammi-1.0.ebuild: is-flag "-march=pentium2" && filter-flags "-fomit-frame-pointer"
media-sound/yammi/yammi-0.8.2.ebuild: is-flag "-march=pentium2" && filter-flags "-fomit-frame-pointer"

i dont want to search every time i get some information, i'm lazy ;)
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Optimization settings Reply with quote

GentooBox wrote:
well, there is no such ebuild ;)
only libvorbis, and that was because of a bug and that bug is fixed in -r2
EDIT: and crack-attack, but what the heck.

Hm... Can't hurt though, one never knows. Paranoia == good :)

GentooBox wrote:
i dont want to search every time i get some information, i'm lazy ;)

Got me on that one - can't dispute it :D

GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Optimization settings Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
Hm... Can't hurt though, one never knows. Paranoia == good :)

thats right.

oh, by the way: i switched to GCC-3.4 and my system feels much faster than with GCC-3.3

CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -fpeel-loops -ftracer -mmmx -msse -msse2 -m3dnow -fweb -pipe"

i'll keep in mmx, sse, sse2 and 3dnow just to be sure.
i know i have a athlon64, so the switch to GCC 3.4 gave me a big boost, but i have a Athlon-xp on my server, and its also faster with GCC-3.4 (it feels faster.)
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimization settings Reply with quote

Just confirmed that -fpeel-loops is useless. It's only enabled when doing a profiling compilation, and portage can't do that (yet :D).
Ah well, there goes another one. Shortening CFLAGS is fun.
On a positive note, I ran some tests - and, surprisingly, -ffast-math actually reduces the number of goofs GCC produces, when compiling at any optimization level (provided that one does specify -march so that the internal libgcc routines are used). Without any optimization, GCC-produced code doesn't exhibit any floating point errors. With any optimization turned on, it goofs once in a while (nothing to worry about though, today's floating point algorithms are quite error-tolerant) - and -ffast-math actually causes less serious faults than the default (no -ffast-math). So the conclusion is that one should use -ffast-math and -march= when one uses -O{1,2,3,s}.

dhurt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update and explanation moocha :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: