View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crocodil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Installing Ximian Evolution 1.4.6 Reply with quote

Hi :)

I'm pretty new to Gentoo, it took me the whole last week to get it up and running but now I'm very glad I did it :) I must say that KDE with X.org looks really nice ;)

Previously I have used Fedora distribution and Ximian Evolution for my mail. I would like to use it now with Gentoo. I did a simple "emerge evolution" and it emerged without any problems. Then copied my old, backuped settings and e-mails to ~/evolution and started the program.

Here's where it went wrong. A wizard for adding e-mail accounts started. I've added my primary account (login,POP and SMTP servers,etc.). The program started but immediately crashed giving me the message:

Quote:
The Application "evolution-1.4" has quit unexpectedly.
You can inform the developers of what happened to help them fix it. Or you can restart the application right now.

I've tried restarting but it always crashes giving me the message. I have removed the whole ~/evolution directory but it didn't help.

What should I do?

I've searched this forum for the last 2 hours but I haven't found a solution :( The only thing that comes to my mind is the lack of a "Mail Server". I don't even exactly know what that is :? Do I need my own server to simply receive and send e-mails via POP and SMTP?

Can somebody explain it to me?

Best regards,
Crocodil :)
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run it from a terminal -- what error messages do you get?
christer75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you do not need your own server just to send and recieve mail. You should just specify the POP and SMTP server you got from your ISP and things should work...
Crocodil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
Run it from a terminal -- what error messages do you get?

This is what I get:
Quote:

bash-2.05b$ evolution

(evolution:8659): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_set_valist: construct property "type" for object `ESplash' can't be set after construction

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: Invalid root: '//home/crocodil/evolution/local/Outbox/mbox.ibex.index'

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: version: TEXT.000 (TEXT.000)

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: block size: 1024 (1024) OK

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: free: 0 (0 add size < 1024) OK

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: last: 6144 (6144 and size: 1024) BAD

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: flags: unSYNC

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: Invalid root: '//home/crocodil/evolution/local/Drafts/mbox.ibex.index'

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: version: TEXT.000 (TEXT.000)

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: block size: 1024 (1024) OK

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: free: 0 (0 add size < 1024) OK

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: last: 6144 (6144 and size: 1024) BAD

(evolution:8666): camel-WARNING **: flags: unSYNC

(evolution:8659): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 2221 (gtk_widget_realize): assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed

(evolution:8659): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 2221 (gtk_widget_realize): assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed

(evolution:8659): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 6430 (gtk_widget_real_map): assertion `GTK_WIDGET_REALIZED (widget) == TRUE' failed

(evolution:8659): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkwindow.c: line 2180 (gdk_window_invalidate_rect): assertion `window != NULL' failed

(evolution:8659): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkwindow.c: line 2180 (gdk_window_invalidate_rect): assertion `window != NULL' failed

(evolution:8659): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkwindow-x11.c: line 1244 (gdk_window_show): assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
bash-2.05b$
(evolution:8670): SOUP-WARNING **: Problem writing to pipe

I hope it helps :)

Regards,

Crocodil.
Crocodil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody help me? Does anybody know how to solve the problem? I think it's a problem with gtk+ but remerging gtk+ and evolution didn't help :(

Any suggestions are very much appreiciated...

Regards,

Crocodil.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asleep :)

Half the mess is Camel related, and half is GTK+.

Ideas:

* What version of GTK+ are you running? You need at least GTK+ 2.2.

* What are your CFLAGS?

* If you haven't used Evolution much, consider deleting ~/evolution so Evolution starts with a fresh root.
Crocodil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hypnos :)

Quote:
I was asleep :)

Hehe :) I'm going to bed in just a minute... ;)

Quote:
Half the mess is Camel related, and half is GTK+.

I know what GTK+ is and I've been "fighting" with it for a couple of last hours but what is the "Camel"? :?

Quote:
Ideas:

* What version of GTK+ are you running? You need at least GTK+ 2.2.

The first time I compiled and tried to run Evolution, I had gtk+-2.4.1. Later I I've unmerged it and tried 2.2.4-r1 but there were compilation errors... Finaly I've tried 2.4.0-r1 but the outcome was the same as with 2.4.1 (the Evolution crashed giving the exact same message) Of course each time, when changing GTK+ version, I've recompiled Evolution.

Quote:
* What are your CFLAGS?

I've taken my CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS from a (Polish) site of a person who seems to be well recognized and respected for his knowledge... :) They don't seem very aggressive:

Quote:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mcpu=pentium4 -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -s -pipe -DNDEBUG -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mcpu=pentium4 -Os -s -pipe -DNDEBUG -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT"
LDFLAGS="-s -z cambreloc"

Oh, and here's my USE flag, just in case :) :

Quote:
USE ="-cups -foomaticdb -gnome -mikmod alsa cdr dga divx4linux java mmx mozilla ntpl sse unicode wxwindows xvid"

[quote[* If you haven't used Evolution much, consider deleting ~/evolution so Evolution starts with a fresh root.[/quote]

I have used Evolution for quite a while with Fedora Core but I would be gladly willing to give up my backup files if I can get it to run under Gentoo :) Removing ~/evolution folder was the first thing that came to my mind when the problems started. Unfortunatelly it didn't help :(

I really hope I can get Evolution to run...

Thank you Hypnos for all your help :)

Best regards,

Crocodil. :)
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crocodil wrote:

Quote:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mcpu=pentium4 -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -s -pipe -DNDEBUG -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mcpu=pentium4 -Os -s -pipe -DNDEBUG -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT"
LDFLAGS="-s -z cambreloc"

Since you are having problems, I would move to:

Quote:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mcpu=pentium4 -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS"
#LDFLAGS="-s -z cambreloc"

(commenting out LDFLAGS altogether in make.conf).

Then rebuild gtk+ and Evolution.

The problem is likely not that easy to fix, but at least we can eliminate that as a reason.
Crocodil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond... When I was going to bed I've started to emerge openoffice hoping it would finish by the time I got up. But when I got up it was still running 8O I've waited and waited and waited. And after about 14 hours of compiling it stopped because it run out of disk space :evil: I guess I'll have to try again tonight... :)

Later I've gotten my sound (ALSA) and graphic card (my Radeon finally has OpenGL :D) to work.

Then I've tried what you suggested, Hypnos :) Unfortunatelly it still doesn't work - the error is all the same.

So now the only thing that doesn't work in my Gentoo is Evolution :(

Hope you (or someone else) have any idea what I should try now... :)

Best regards,

Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmph ... something is very odd.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to redo your installation (i.e., bootstrap) with the suggested CFLAGS and stable packages. Then, emerge evolution-1.4.6 (and all its deps) with the suggested CFLAGS and "USE=gnome".
christer75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exacly do the useflag gnome do? Do the apps get the gnome look & feel with it, but not without it?
Edweirdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before redooing your whole system you might want to try deleting the ~/evolution folder and start it again. Maybe there is something wrong with the folders you restored. When restoring files to applications I usually start it up first and, configure it minimally and then restore the folders. It sometimes makes things work better.

Just thought you should try that before redoing your whole system. Evolution works fine for me (not that I use it), but I didn't restore anything to it.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

christer75 wrote:
What exacly do the useflag gnome do? Do the apps get the gnome look & feel with it, but not without it?

Yes, but often it's more subtle than that. For example, if libgsf is built without the "gnome" USE flag, gnumeric (an app which requires GNOME support) won't build.

Yeah, Evolution 1.4.6 works very well for me -- I run my life on it, so I would be in a bad spot if had the same errors as the original poster :(
christer75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah alright. Its best to have most flags on then, just to be sure. Is there any disadvantage to it, will the files get larger for example?
Crocodil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
Hmph ... something is very odd.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to redo your installation (i.e., bootstrap) with the suggested CFLAGS and stable packages. Then, emerge evolution-1.4.6 (and all its deps) with the suggested CFLAGS and "USE=gnome".

Oh, no! No! No! :(

There's got to be another way... :( I've just gotten my system up after one and a half week of trying...

Well, I might do that in some time, when I get the courage to get through all of it again... :) Or maybe I'll wait for a newer version of Evolution, maybe it'll work?

What should I change in my USE flag?

Could you please suggest some other good e-mail programs?

Best regards,

Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crocodil wrote:
What should I change in my USE flag?

Try removing "-gnome" from your USE flag, then do "emerge -u world" and then try emerging Evolution again ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: