Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klovnen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikaro wrote:
Klovnen wrote:
taviso wrote:
i know ikaro is working on an OSX dock clone with FvwmButtons and has missed this feature, but apart from that it's looking really cool.

It's just too nice! Ikaro, where did you get those images from? 8O

The images are icons, Mac OS icons, which are known to be the best looking ( at least i like them better )

You can find many icons at iconfactory.com or xicons.com , mostly are in *sit or *hqx format, which you will have to convert to png then you can use them where you like.
:)

Yes! iconfactory (i don't know why i said images ;) ), thanks! :)
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much experimentation I decideded to revert back to taviso's original configuration, but some things don't work anymore. All the buttons on the sidebar on the right do not work. When looking at the output X gives me, I see the following error message:

Code:
FvwmButtons: Illegal size arguments
FvwmButtons: Button too tall. Giving up

Also, when I try opening xterm, I get the following error message:

Code:
/bin/sh: line 1: exec: rxvt: not found

What does that mean? Fvwm can't find xterm?

Thank you for your help!

Edit:

Question for taviso:

At the beginning of the thread you said that you were not using fvwm-themes, but in one of your later posts you state that you are using some fvwm-themes functions (I think it was related to the clock). So my question is what exactly you are doing. Are you creating your own fvwm-theme? Or just including things from fvwm-themes into your .fvwm2rc? I hate how these little things can confuse me so much.

Once again I want to thank you for your perseverance in helping the community learn more about this amazing window manager!
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifyou dont have rxvt, just replace that in the config with Xterm or aterm :)

FvwmButtons: Illegal size arguments
FvwmButtons: Button too tall. Giving up

means that the fvwmbutton is too small. or buttons to big, how you want to see it.
linux: #232767
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response ikaro. By the way, I love your fvwm configurations! I working hard to emulate them. :D :D

About the illegal size arguments. How come it works for taviso and other users but not for me?
Klovnen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikaro: do you use FvwmScript for the clock in the osxdoc? If so, how did you get that nice aa font?
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is QutCUrve

Verry nice and has alog of options, it is for gtk1 gtk2 and qt, Me loves it!

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=5065&forummode=2&forumpage=5&forumexplevel=0&forumthread=53088#c53100

tommy_fila wrote:
@kappax

What theme are you using for konquerer? I've been avoiding konquerer like the plague because of its looks, but yours looks fantastic.

Distro: Gentoo
kernel: 2.6.0-test9-mm2
----------------------
vi makes me :wq in word pad :(
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the time being, ive removed my configs from my page because it seems everyone is using tavisos config, and since I also started from his config, the diference isnt that much worth of putting it up.

However, im working on getting this OSX theme going to a point where its functional, after that im thinking about putting it up again so everyone can try it.
Ive already started in putting all the extras configs in 1 file thats easyer to use.

I will put the pixmaps for the window decorations on my site too. but not the icons, not that i don't want too, but because its copyrighted material.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikaro wrote:
For the time being, ive removed my configs from my page because it seems everyone is using tavisos config, and since I also started from his config, the diference isnt that much worth of putting it up.

However, im working on getting this OSX theme going to a point where its functional, after that im thinking about putting it up again so everyone can try it.
Ive already started in putting all the extras configs in 1 file thats easyer to use.

I will put the pixmaps for the window decorations on my site too. but not the icons, not that i don't want too, but because its copyrighted material.

Noooooo :(
I use Taviso's config too, but only as a reference when I need to tweak what was originally your config. I see your config as the stylish version of taviso's config (no offense Taviso hehe), and I'd really like to follow the progress of your OSX theme/starterbar.
mr.twemlow
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tln wrote:
Noooooo :(
I use Taviso's config too, but only as a reference when I need to tweak what was originally your config. I see your config as the stylish version of taviso's config (no offense Taviso hehe), and I'd really like to follow the progress of your OSX theme/starterbar.

I agree, can we have it back by any chance? When I first tried FVWM i used taviso's cause it was the first file I found. But I couldn't quite figure it out, left FVWM and came back a few months later and found yours. It worked great! So mine is a modified version of yours.

And I'd also like to see the progress on that starterbar and theme..

Gentium--A typeface for the nations: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1351563
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, everyone can try it.
Im also a beginner with fvwm, and it takes me really a lot of time to fix things .. and I always have to go around and ask people 'how do i make this and that' ....
:roll: I want to share this in a decent way, so it works for everyone.

Since ive merged all the configs into 1 file, im having problems with the window decorations, which arent working anymore .. i cant really see whats wrong yet ..

I think by the end of the week it should be ok, depending of how much help i get from taviso :)

will be 1000 - 1500 lines of code.
niebie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nico-- wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has gotten the mouse button 3 resize to work like in other window managers. I have these settings:

Code:
Mouse 3 WTSF M Resize2
AddToFunc Resize2 M Resize

Now I can resize from anywhere in the window but the window only starts resizing once the mouse pointer touches one of the borders.

I guess you mean like it is done in gnome or xfce, where the direction the window grows/shrinks depends on the cursor position inside the window. Well I was also used to this so I tried to write function for it. It's not perfect but it works, so here it is:
Code:
DestroyFunc FuncAlternativeResize
AddToFunc FuncAlternativeResize
+ M SetEnv tempx $[pointer.wx]
+ M SetEnv tempy $[pointer.wy]
+ M SetEnv oldwidth $[w.width]
+ M SetEnv oldheight $[w.height]
+ M PipeRead "~/.fvwm/warp_to_corner.sh $[tempx] $[tempy] $[w.width] $[w.height]"
+ M Resize
+ M PipeRead "~/.fvwm/warp_back.sh $[tempx] $[tempy] $[oldwidth] $[oldheight] $[w.width] $[w.height]"
+ M UnsetEnv tempx
+ M UnsetEnv tempy
+ M UnsetEnv oldwidth
+ M UnsetEnv oldheight

You also need two small shellscripts. Don't forget to make them executable.
warp_to_corner.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# $1=PosX   $2=PosY   $3=Width   $4=Height

if [ $1 -le $(($3/2)) ]; then WarpX="0p"
else WarpX="$((${3}+1))p"
fi

if [ $2 -le $(($4/2)) ]; then WarpY="0p"
else WarpY="$((${4}+1))p"
fi

echo WarpToWindow ${WarpX} ${WarpY}

warp_back.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# $1=PosX   $2=PosY   $3=OldWidth   $4=OldHeight   $5=NewWidth   $6=NewHeight

if [ $1 -le $(($3/2)) ]; then WarpX="${1}p"
else WarpX="$(( ${1} + ${5} - ${3} ))p"
fi

if [ $2 -le $(($4/2)) ]; then WarpY="${2}p"
else WarpY="$(( ${2} + ${6} - ${4} ))p"
fi

echo WarpToWindow ${WarpX} ${WarpY}

It sometimes doesn't work when shrinking a window and your too fast with your mouse. Of course improvements are always welcome. :)
[Edit: little inprovement through second shell script]

Last edited by niebie on Thu May 06, 2004 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know why X has to be restarted (in order for wallpaper to be replaced) everytime you change wallpaper with fvwm-root?
mixa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used this wm for 2 days now, I really love it. I thought it was ugly and hard to use, but I tried fvwm with ikaro's fvwm2rc with my own tweaks and some things from taviso's fvwm2rc, and now this is almost perfect.. This wm is really AWESOME, I can make it look good, I can customize every small detail, etc..

I just love this :)
Klovnen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This osxdoc is just too nice :D

Shot
nico--
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niebie wrote:
I guess you mean like it is done in gnome or xfce, where the direction the window grows/shrinks depends on the cursor position inside the window. Well I was also used to this so I tried to write function for it. It's not perfect but it works, so here it is:

Thanks, it works much better than what I was using.

tln wrote:
Anyone know why X has to be restarted (in order for wallpaper to be replaced) everytime you change wallpaper with fvwm-root?

Any command you place in InitFunction is run only when fvwm is run. Commands in StartFunction are run when you restart fvwm (without restarting X).[/quote]
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else having problems with Taviso's hidden console shifting to one side? It is supposed to be the full width of the screen, and usually is. Once and a while, it opens up shifted to the right. When typing in the console, if the text reaches the right edge of the screen, the cursor disappears for a bit, then wraps. So the console is the width it is supposed to be. Doesn't always happen though. I have no idea what fixes it either.
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: FvwmDock Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Here is the dock:

Code:

+ I Module FvwmButtons -g 603x57+390+1142 FvwmDock

Colorset 30 fg #ffffff, bg #ffffff, hi #dde5ec, sh #a6bbce, RootTransparent buffer, Tint #ffffff 65
DestroyModuleConfig FvwmDock: *                                   
*FvwmDock: Rows 2
*FvwmDock: Frame 0
*FvwmDock: Columns 60
*FvwmDock: Colorset 30
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-rox.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `DockLaunch rox ROX-Filer $left $top`, Action(Mouse 3) `Next (ROX-Filer) Popup MenuFvwmWindowOps Rectangle +$left+$top 0 -100m`)
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-firefox.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `DockLaunch firefox Firefox-bin $left $top`, Action(Mouse 3) `Next (FireFox-bin) Popup MenuFvwmWindowOps Rectangle +$left+$top 0 -100m`)
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-xmms.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `DockLaunch xmms $left $top`, Action(Mouse 3) `Menu MenuMultimedia Rectangle +$left+$top 0 -100m`)
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-mail.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `DockLaunch sylpheed-claws sylpheed-claws $left $top`, Action(Mouse 3) `Next (sylpheed-claws) Popup MenuFvwmWindowOps Rectangle +$left+$top 0 -100m`)
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-gimp.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `DockLaunch gimp-2.0 gimp-2.0 $left $top`, Action(Mouse 3) `Next (gimp-2.0) Popup MenuFvwmWindowOps Rectangle +$left+$top 0 -100m`)
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-gvim.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `DockLaunch gvim gvim $left $top`, Action(Mouse 3) `Next (gvim) Popup MenuFvwmWindowOps Rectangle +$left+$top 0 -100m`)
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-bluefish.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `DockLaunch bluefish bluefish $left $top`, Action(Mouse 3) `Next (bluefish) Popup MenuFvwmWindowOps Rectangle +$left+$top 0 -100m`)
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-utils.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `DockLauch xwininfo $left $top`, Action(Mouse 3) `Menu MenuUtilities Rectangle +$left+$top 0 -100m`)
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-pan.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `DockLaunch pan pan $left $top`, Action(Mouse 3) `Next (pan) Popup MenuFvwmWindowOps Rectangle +$left+$top 0 -100m`)
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-aterm.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `Exec aterm`)
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-fvwm.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `Exec gvim -geom 115x46 ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc`)
*FvwmDock: (5x2, Icon dock-xdefaults.png, ActionOnPress, Action(Mouse 1) `Exec gvim -geom 115x46 ~/.Xdefaults `)

DestroyFunc DockLaunch
AddToFunc DockLaunch
+ C Any ($1) Next ($1) WindowListFunc
+ C TestRc (NoMatch) Exec $0
+ H Any ($1) WindowList ($1) Rectangle +$2+$3 0 -100m CurrentAtEnd UseListSkip SortByClass NoCurrentDeskTitle
+ D Exec $0

Style FvwmDock      Sticky, NoTitle, Handlewidth 1, Borderwidth 1, WindowListSkip, StaysOnBottom

The icons are 48x48 pixels , if you want to use other sizes, adjusting the size of the dock might be necessary.
Pretty icons from iconfactory.com / xicons.com

How to use:
* Single click opens the application
* Double click opens the application, if there are already open instances of the same application
* Single click, and if there are already open instances, the opened application will raise to the forground.

* A couple of entries in the dock work as both a laucher for applications and as a `drop up` menu.
So mouse1 opens the application and mouse 3 opens a menu.

If you have several, same type applications open, holding the button down, will open a task list, which you can chose to `jump´ to the selected window.

snapshot:

http://ikaro.dk/FvwmDock.jpg

Thanks to Taviso for helping me with this.
I would appreciate, if anyone adds more funtionality to the dock, new features of anything interesting, please send me a copy.

Enjoy and have a nice weekend.

Last edited by ikaro on Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:06 am; edited 3 times in total
mindsuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me bows to ikaro.
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont deserve that.
thoughts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hacked Taviso's (superb) config for a while now, and have it pretty customized the way I want it. But there are a few things I can't figure out:

1. Alt-tab is completely unpredictable and random wrt the order of the windows. The FVWM FAQ says that Alt-tab-tab will go to the previous window, but that almost never happens (only as often as any other window, i.e. randomly it happens occasionally). I tried everything in the FAQ entry but none of them seem to work. Anyone else have this problem?

2. When I do select a window with Alt-tab, the mouse is moved to the upper-left corner of the window. Can I make Alt-tab just change the focus, and not move my mouse?

3. When I click the minimize button on a window, it takes a long time (about half or one second) before it actually minimizes (or "iconifies" or whatever). I'm not using any transparency, and my system is an 850MHz/512MB box with a GeForce4/64MB card. In Gnome/KDE, minimizing was ~instant.

Any ideas for any of that?

Thanks,
Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using the thumbnail function ?
That delays the minimize of the windows, you can disable it, and it will be faster :)
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work ikaro =)

Would you mind putting up your entire config with icons and such so we can get the same window decorations?

And what's the name of that stylish Winamp/XMMS skin?

One last thing, could you please share your Irssi theme (sorry for asking again hehe) :D
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thoughts wrote:
1. Alt-tab is completely unpredictable and random wrt the order of the windows. The FVWM FAQ says that Alt-tab-tab will go to the previous window, but that almost never happens (only as often as any other window, i.e. randomly it happens occasionally). I tried everything in the FAQ entry but none of them seem to work. Anyone else have this problem?

Well the order is configurable, find your binding for alt-tab, and modify the options to the WindowList command, I rarely use alt+tab, but when I do use WindowList, I prefer SortByClass to group similar applications together. I think you might want to be using the CurrentAtEnd option.

Quote:
2. When I do select a window with Alt-tab, the mouse is moved to the upper-left corner of the window. Can I make Alt-tab just change the focus, and not move my mouse?

Sure, the mouse movement is called Warp, when you select a window form the WindowList it runs a function called WindowListFunc, all you have to do is change what it does, if you DestroyFunc WindowListFunc, then configure it to just FlipFocus, or whatever. :)

Quote:
3. When I click the minimize button on a window, it takes a long time (about half or one second) before it actually minimizes (or "iconifies" or whatever). I'm not using any transparency, and my system is an 850MHz/512MB box with a GeForce4/64MB card. In Gnome/KDE, minimizing was ~instant.

As ikaro says above, if you are using Thumbnails, they can take a second, you can modify it to make lower quality snapshots (change -scale to -sample) or just remove it :) If you are not, maybe you have doubleclick bindings on your Iconify buttons? if so, fvwm has to wait however long your ClickTime setting is for to see if you are trying to Double or Single click. Also maybe you are using FvwmAnimate? you can stop using it if you don't like it.

pjp wrote:
Is anyone else having problems with Taviso's hidden console shifting to one side? It is supposed to be the full width of the screen, and usually is. Once and a while, it opens up shifted to the right. When typing in the console, if the text reaches the right edge of the screen, the cursor disappears for a bit, then wraps. So the console is the width it is supposed to be. Doesn't always happen though. I have no idea what fixes it either.

Hmm, the problem is terminals like to be resized in Characters rather than pixels, and depending on width of the screen (different fonts, resolutions, point sizes, etc) can leave gaps at one side (if a number of characters doesnt match the screen width perfectly), so I cheated and used ResizeHintOverride so that I could force it to use pixels...i think the man page explicitly warsn against using it if possible, it can confuse some applications..maybe this is what happening in your case? if you try removing ResizeHintOverride Style option, maybe it will fix it?

ikaro wrote:
Thanks to Taviso for helping me with this.

No problem :) I made an xvidcap when we were working on this if anyone would like a look, it uses an old version of ikaro's dock, but you can see how the bindings work. get it here (don't gunzip it, just play it with mplayer).
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to ikaro.dk and grab what you want,

If you want icons, download them from xicons, iconfactory , read the tutorial at ikaro.dk/guides and then get busy.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikaro wrote:
go to ikaro.dk and grab what you want,

If you want icons, download them from xicons, iconfactory , read the tutorial at ikaro.dk/guides and then get busy.

Ah great thanks =)

I'm have <0.001% skills in The Gimp, so I have to rely on people like you for the eye-candy :P
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 33 of 67

Jump to: