Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gnome 2.6 problems - anyone else has those?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregy_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2.6 problems - anyone else has those? Reply with quote

Hi.
I've just upgraded to Gnome 2.6 and I wonder if anybody else here has the same problems I've got:

1. gstreamer 0.8 - there seems to be some problem with gstreamer - I don't have any volume controls / gstreamer-properties don't work either. Emerging gst-plugins-ffmpeg doesn't pass compilation phase (some MMX asm problems)...

2. CDROM / Floppy mount points icons - Gnome 2.4 correctly recognized my supermount CDROM/Floppy mount points. New gnome doesn't recognize them, showing both locations with "harddrive" icon (instead of a "cdrom"/"floppy" icon)

3. ggv - the application seems to take tooooo loooong to startup due to DNS queries. If my DNS server is disabled (dnsmasq) - the application starts up in a seconds - otherwise it takes tens of seconds...

4. gpdf + nautilus - nautilus hangs when pressing "back" button after viewing a .pdf file.

5. gswitchit - keyboard layout applet seems to be missing the flag icons, a dummy icon is displayed instead of any flag icon...
deathdruid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.6 problems - anyone else has those? Reply with quote

gregy_ wrote:
Hi.
1. gstreamer 0.8 - there seems to be some problem with gstreamer - I don't have any volume controls / gstreamer-properties don't work either. Emerging gst-plugins-ffmpeg doesn't pass compilation phase (some MMX asm problems)...

emerge gst-plugins-oss.

Quote:
2. CDROM / Floppy mount points icons - Gnome 2.4 correctly recognized my supermount CDROM/Floppy mount points. New gnome doesn't recognize them, showing both locations with "harddrive" icon (instead of a "cdrom"/"floppy" icon)

Mine don't even show up in the desktop right click menu. They do in "My Computer though.

Quote:

3. ggv - the application seems to take tooooo loooong to startup due to DNS queries. If my DNS server is disabled (dnsmasq) - the application starts up in a seconds - otherwise it takes tens of seconds...

Is your /etc/hosts set up correctly? What host is it trying to resolve?

About the others, I have no clue.
gregy_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.6 problems - anyone else has those? Reply with quote

deathdruid wrote:
gregy_ wrote:
Hi.

emerge gst-plugins-oss.

I have those... Anyway how could I get some more status output out of it?

Quote:
Quote:

Mine don't even show up in the desktop right click menu. They do in "My Computer though.

I have CDROM and Floppy icons on the desktop, and those had appropriate icons in Gnome2.4 - now I had to assign them custom icons...

Quote:
Quote:

Is your /etc/hosts set up correctly? What host is it trying to resolve?

About the others, I have no clue.

I couldn't understand what hosts it is trying to resolve.
Here is strace output:

connect(25, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53), sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 28) = 0
send(25, "*\1\1\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\6%eb%ec\3doc\0\0\1\0\1", 28, 0) = 28
gettimeofday({1081021697, 328438}, NULL) = 0
poll(

dnsmasq log shows lots of forward messages but contrary to normal queries, it doesn't show the actual url that is being queried...
those messages are printed:
"dnsmasq: forwarded query to <my-isp-ip>"

Thanks,
Greg.
deathdruid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is in your /etc/hosts file?

Here is mine:

Code:
127.0.0.1      host.domain.com       host      localhost
gregy_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine /etc/resolv.conf is:

domain my.home
nameserver 127.0.0.1

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost
10.0.0.10 homepc.my.home homepc

Now that I looked at dnsmasq sources it seems to me that "ggv" attempts to query NULL server - which seems to be accepted by dnsmasq - it uses a "magic" word "query" to perform the actual query... Seems really strange to me...
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggv is doing the same thing here. Very strange.
gregy_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing ~/.recently-used seems to resolve ggv startup performance.
Seems like a bug though... Maybe some wrong xml parsing ? Why should it try to access ~/.recently-used anyway?

Thanks,
Gregory.
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. worked for me
neonknight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.6 problems - anyone else has those? Reply with quote

deathdruid wrote:
gregy_ wrote:
Hi.

emerge gst-plugins-oss.

I also had this problem and solved it by emerging gst-plugins-oss. But maybe gregy also needs gst-plugins-alsa?

I have another problem with the volume controls: After startup the volume-control-applet always wants to change the master-volume. And I always set it to leave master at 100% and change the pcm-settings. How can I make this permanent? Or is this just another bug/feature?

deathdruid wrote:

A really stupid change. The old way was much faster if you often have to mount/umount something.
smn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.6 problems - anyone else has those? Reply with quote

deathdruid wrote:
gregy_ wrote:
Hi.

emerge gst-plugins-oss.

i did that, and it even works (tho i had to remove gst0.6 first and reemerge gst0.8 ). now the volume slider works, but i can only set it to max, if i set it to something between 0 and max it automatically moves toward 0. this is kinda annoying, i'd really like to use the volume control :\
anyone else got that behavior?

edit: i got that problem with volume-control changing to master at restart too :|
G-LiTe`
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregy_ wrote:
Seems like a bug though... Maybe some wrong xml parsing ? Why should it try to access ~/.recently-used anyway?

Thanks,
Gregory.

It's used by GTK to display the "Recent files" menu in alot of applications, even the gnome panel. (see the actions menu)
I'm not sure, but I think it's not actually part of GTK yet, still in libegg.

Alot of gstreamer plugins are actually failing here: sink plugins oss, alsa and xvideo and the source plugin gnomevfs. I just avoid merging them during an update world. Most of the time I use my seperately installed gnome cvs anyways.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.6 problems - anyone else has those? Reply with quote

smn wrote:
now the volume slider works, but i can only set it to max, if i set it to something between 0 and max it automatically moves toward 0. this is kinda annoying, i'd really like to use the volume control :\
anyone else got that behavior?

edit: i got that problem with volume-control changing to master at restart too :|

I have the same issue. I've been playing around with setting the gstreamer settings to various combinations of alsa/oss/esd-src and alsa/oss/esd-sink, but have not had much luck so far.
mugurelu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Emerging gst-plugins-ffmpeg doesn't pass compilation phase (some MMX asm problems)...

I had the same problem. Lower your C flags, and should work after that. For me, it worked with:

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-tbird -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Using my default CFLAGS:

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-tbird -funroll-loops -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fforce-addr -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -falign-functions=4"

resulted in the same error as you got.
LostControl
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregy_ wrote:

Thanks,
Gregory.

I had the same problem !!! Removing ~/.recently-used solved the problem... Strange :?

Has anyone filled up a bug report ?
deathdruid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to repone this one...

http://bugs.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=136238
smn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a bug report about the volume-issue also :

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=136654
hellbringer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm havig the same problem in gpdf. If I open a pdf in the nautilus view, and I close, nautilus will crash. Pressing back also sometimes crash gpdf. Is this a gnome or gentoo bug?
Pythagoras1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNOME 2.6 has too much bugs for a stable release:

6. Session manager seems broken: If I start GNOME the second time (and later) the splash screen stops when loading previous settings. I can click it away but then I cannot log out any more. It only works if I delete the session file, disable "store session on logout" and restart GNOME.

7. If I want to assign a keyboard multimedia button to a function, it says, that this key "0xe6" already is assigned to another function. But the mentioned function (Help Browser) doesn't have a key associated it. So I try to associate the Help Browser with "0xed" and I got a message which said "Log Out" has this key, but that's wrong. If I try to set Log Out it claims with "Help Browser" again, althought the keycodes are different.

8. The mixer applet did only work on a Gentoo box with Linux-2.4.20 and OSS, but not on on another Gentoo box with Linux-2.6.4 and ALSA. It complains about /dev/sound/mixer not being found. And he was right: the file isn't there. But why does the XFce mixer applet work on the same box?

9. I entered a user defined eMail reader "MozillaThunderbird" but the setting "user defined" wasn't enabled anymore when I restarted the configurator for favorite programs.

All these bugs appeared in the first hour I tried GNOME.
LostControl
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pythagoras1 wrote:
7. If I want to assign a keyboard multimedia button to a function, it says, that this key "0xe6" already is assigned to another function. But the mentioned function (Help Browser) doesn't have a key associated it. So I try to associate the Help Browser with "0xed" and I got a message which said "Log Out" has this key, but that's wrong. If I try to set Log Out it claims with "Help Browser" again, althought the keycodes are different.

Just sets a correct keyboard layout. If yours isn't listed, try a different layout which seems to correspond to your keyboard !!!
Pythagoras1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, that was the solution for 7. 8)

Memorex MX2750 seemed to match best to my keyboard, which isn't labeled at all. It took me a while to try all these layouts and it seems that there are still problems (audio-skip-next button is only recognized every second time).

One thing is confusing: why do I still need to select a keyboard layout if different keycodes are recognized. Each key had it's own number but GNOME ignored them. :evil:
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problems i'm having seem to be a bit more fundamental.

after creating folders in GNOME, i can't delete them. i get a "cannot move file to trash, do you want to delete immediately" which also fails. weirdness.

FTP and Samba shares don't work either, as I get a "the action associated with 'FOLDER NAME' is invalid" message. also strange.

oh, and i can't adjust my clock - there is no "adjust time" option on right click.

but all in all, i'm pretty pleased. if this was my production box i'd be pissed, but overall i'm liking it.
deathdruid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sog wrote:

FTP and Samba shares don't work either, as I get a "the action associated with 'FOLDER NAME' is invalid" message. also strange.

Hmmm, works for me. If you upgraded from 2.4, maybe your old settings are confusing nautilus?

Quote:

oh, and i can't adjust my clock - there is no "adjust time" option on right click.

This is not a regression, is it? The adjust time applet is present on redhat/fedora and is part of gnome-system-tools which does not support gentoo yet.
Visceral
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
oh, and i can't adjust my clock - there is no "adjust time" option on right click

This drives me NUTS.
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmmm, works for me. If you upgraded from 2.4, maybe your old settings are confusing nautilus?

could be, but i didn't have too many setting in the first place. i've read that some other folks had issues with SAMBA shares tho so i emerged gnome-vfs to see if that would solve the problem. unfortunately, i can't check b/c either that or a different change seems to have broken nautilus.

Quote:
This is not a regression, is it? The adjust time applet is present on redhat/fedora and is part of gnome-system-tools which does not support gentoo yet.

definitely not a regression. clean gentoo install, so nothing else present. i wasn't aware tho that the adjust time option wasn't supported in gentoo - i was just going by gnome help.

i've reset my rc.conf file which was set to UTC which is likely part of the problem, and i'll make sure the BIOS clock is set right. would sure like an easier way to do it tho. i'm emerging NTP as we speak so maybe that'll help a bit.

thanks for the feedback tho, def helpful.
smn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just figured out how to fix the volume-bug:
just compile gnome-applets without gstreamer support. i am running 2.6.5 gentoo dev sources with alsa 1.0.4 (maybe thats needed as well, who knows..). for me both, the not-storing-channel-bug and the auto-move-towards-zero bug are fixed now :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: