View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Radeon 8500 DRI/Xfree 4.3 Problem Reply with quote

Got Xfree 4.3 on which is working great, but the Radeon DRI module refuses to work. I get the Version Mismatch error, it tells me radeon.o is version 1.1.1 and I need 1.5 (going by memory here I'm not at home now) However, I downloaded the latest drm-kernel from cvs, manually untarred it, compiled the radeon.o and replaced the one in /lib/modules/2.4.20*/kernel/char/drm. I have rebooted, manually rmmod'd the module and reloaded it, done just about everything, but still that version shows up.

Any advice to get things working? I really need DRI :)
drakos7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish I could help. Same problem here except I have a 7500 Mobility. Kind of frustrating to see 5fps on a GL screensaver!
Mr Bonhomme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge xfree-drm
working for me (radeon 8500) but some buggs when switching from a resolution to another one.
Chonhulio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Radeon 8500 (should work for 7xxx, too):
1. emerge the newest xfree-drm (4.3.0-r1 currently) AND REBOOT. Replacing the drm-driver in the running system always puts my screen to sleep-mode when starting X.
Note, that this overwrites the kernel's radeon.o. So safe it if you intend to switch back to XFree 4.2.
2. In XF86Config, make sure you use the "radeon" driver - not the "ati" driver
3. You may want to change the AGP mode and enable page flipping. The driver defaults to 1x AGP and page flipping disabled.

From XF86Config:
Driver "radeon"
Option "AGPMode" "4"
Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
On my Radeon 8500LE this improves glxgears performance from 1445fps to 2218fps.
So far, the driver workes fine for me (including OpenGL, XVideo and mode switches).
For further options see "man radeon"
wlsb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, for me it was only a kernel misconfiguration. I had Direct Rendering manager compiled in, which was causing the version mismatch.

go to:

http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/DRIcomp4.html

follow their configuration, except compile /dev/agpart as a module, or an error about the agpart module not being found. recompile the kernel, install, reboot, emerge xfree-drm. that worked for me.

emerge xfree-drm didn't work, until I got rid of drm in the kernel configuration. it's worth a look, at least.
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had DRM/DRI working on my older Radeon, but was only getting ~850 FPS on glxgears. Anticipating the retail 8500 that I recently traded for, I tried the method that wlsb pointed out and added the page flipping option, courtesy of Chonhulio, to my XF86Config.

Glxgears now runs at 1066 FPS, a significant gain. That's on a Radeon 32MB DDR. Can't wait for the 8500.
Alek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Gets 1641 FPS in glxgears right now.
drakos7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting 1310 fps now! Thanks everyone! What worked was said by wlsb:
Quote:
go to:

http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/DRIcomp4.html

follow their configuration, except compile /dev/agpart as a module, or an error about the agpart module not being found. recompile the kernel, install, reboot, emerge xfree-drm. that worked for me.
Alek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think the prob for me was a screwup in my XF86Config, had two video devices in there one as generic and one radeon (yet I have no clue how two got in there). I cleaned it up and it works now. I have agpgart compiled into my kernel, so for the record it does work that way also at least for me.
Mr Bonhomme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works with xfree-drm with Xv (mplayer, xine) and dri (3D) but on my radeon 8500:
X hang up when switching several times from one resolution to another one (for example after launching quake3 several times or watching xawtv in full screen then coming back to Desktop resolution).
This only appen whith dri...
Do u experiment the same ?
Blue Lightning
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wlsb wrote:
I had the same problem, for me it was only a kernel misconfiguration. I had Direct Rendering manager compiled in, which was causing the version mismatch.
compile /dev/agpart as a module, or an error about the agpart module not being found. recompile the kernel, install, reboot, emerge xfree-drm. that worked for me.

That worked perfectly for me, solved the problem I'd been stuck on for hours. Thanks :)
0ctane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure would have been nice to get wlsb's notes added as a link on the install web page. A lot of frustration would be avoided, especially since so many users have Radeons. Or maybe a link to the "ATI radeon Sticky" on the installation page. Who should we contact about this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: