Promise PDC20579 SATA II
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mourronic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Promise PDC20579 SATA II Reply with quote

Hi All,

Does anyone have any info on the Promise SATA RAID Chipset that came with my Soltek SL-K8AN2-GR motherboard? Its a PDC20579, and seems to have decent specs, even though I can't find that much info about it anywhere. (Even Promise's website won't bring up anything if I search for it!)

It seems like the Nvidia nForce3 250gb SATA on the board works, but Id like to get a new SATA II compatible hard drive to take advantage of the queueing abilities. I dont have a SATA drive yet, so its making my decision tricky. (nforce3 isnt SATA II, is it?)

I suppose I'd be happy knowing that if I could use the SATA-II drive on the nForce side until a good linux driver makes it to the kernel for the Promise chip. Thanks.
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until now PROMISE Linux support hasn't been very encouraging... Although the 20276 is running here, but only from a 2.4 kernel. The 20376/20378 RAID controllers I haven't found Linux support at all for.
2crazy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm having the same promise sata chip on my MSI mainboard, and so far no luck with it :-(

Cheers
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine seems to like the PROMISE 202{69|70|...} driver that's on the atapi raid section of the kernel.
I don't know if it's working or not because i don't have any disk attached to it but since the kernel recognizes it i believe it should work .
--> Linux ### 2.6.11-ck2 #1 Sat Mar 12 20:21:30 WET 2005 i686 GNU/Linux <--
borkdox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this chip in my Soltek SL-K8TPRO-939 board, it has one PATA slot and some SATA slots. I would like to see it supported in linux since I currently just bought another 160GB PATA drive to make RAID0 with my current one, right now is just installed there, without doing anything.

How could we help to get this supported?
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried once more to compile a 2.6 kernel on my Promise 20276. I had not tried it for a long time. Alsa, it still doesn't work, at least not as simple as a 2.4 kernel. There may be a solution by using devicemapper, however I lack the knowledge to do it. So it's still 2.4 on that system for me...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: