View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koutsos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Multiple X servers problem Reply with quote

I log in my kde desktop using kdm and from a Konsole I use a command like the one following to start a new xserver running the program I want (usually a game) :

xinit /usr/path/to/my/script/file -- /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -xf86config XF86Config-800x600-16 vt12

where XF86Config-800x600-16 is a config file for my new x server running in console 12.

This works fine the first time I use the command. But, if I shut down the program/game and return to my kde desktop, it is impossible to use the same command again (xserver seems to be starting, but it then "crashes" and I get back to my desktop).
What I do not understand is why it will not work the second time ... even if I try starting a whole different program with a similar command, that will fail too.

Thank you in advance for any ideas/suggestions :)

PS. I'm a linux newbie and my terminology might not be correct, so plz bear with me.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the exact error?
With such little info, I'll dare make a wild hypothesis: it leaves .xlock files behind so the next Xsession "thinks" there is already an X running on that display and quits...
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you need to remove the /tmp/.X1-lock file?

Ps. doesn't this accomplish the same task
Quote:
xinit /usr/path/to/my/script/file -- :1 -xf86config XF86Config-800x600-16 vt12

Cya lX.
Koutsos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for helping me out on this :)

I restarted my pc, logged in kde and fired up the xinit command. As usual, the program I started appeared properly. I shut it down and checked for .X1-lock file in tmp. It was not there, so this is cleaned up properly. Now, KiTaSuMbA asked for the exact error ... well, there is no obvious one, simply I return to my kde desktop. But, I compared the two log files from XFree86.1.log, the successful and the failed one.

In the "succesfull" log there are no errors or warnings other than APM which does not work on my PC (smp one). In the failed log, I get this extra warning:

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize AGP

So, it appears as the AGP module fails to initialize the second time. I do not know if this is what kills the new xserver, but this is the only error I could find. Could this be it ? And why does it start properly the first time, but fails the second ?

If there is some other file that I can get info from, plz let me know .. the log files is all that I could think of.

TIA :)

PS. lx , the sorter version of the command works exactly the same, you are right.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGP can be the cause, but it states (WW) and not (EE), and I have used multiple X server (stopping c.q. restarting) without problems didn't check AGP.

Ps just checked it, although my programs runs multiple times, I also get the AGP warning the second time, strange......... Could missing AGP cause the program to fail? Does the X log state an error, cause if not, it's probably the programming bailing out. Try running xterm or something simple as script, to check if it's an X problem.

** Ps I start from a normal terminal window, not X. **
Just checked it and I could start my script multiple times from gnome-terminal from within X.

Cya lX.
Koutsos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error log states only a warning (WW) and that's it. I tried running simpler apps in my scripts and they restart multiple times just fine. So, to me it appears as an agp problem .... any ideas how to fix this ? I load agp as a module if that makes any difference .... thank you :)
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered, it "must" be the agp (I'm assuming that the game uses GLX while a simple app won't) . Which leaves us with a second question: why the second Xsession refuses to use AGP? kernel modules are not reloaded for each process using them (you just see the "used by" entry in lsmod increase)... or at least they should be designed to do so. Is it a problem specific to the NVIDIA drivers? Could it be worked around by adding a second "device" in XFree86Config to use with the second screen? Does it work, using on both "devices" the nvidia driver or should one of them try to load the standard nv one (and of course no glx)?

These are questions I don't have answers for... You could experiment them, but be warned, it can get ugly and crash really hard the Xserver.

Hope it helps a bit...
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
All things considered, it "must" be the agp (I'm assuming that the game uses GLX while a simple app won't) . Which leaves us with a second question: why the second Xsession refuses to use AGP? kernel modules are not reloaded for each process using them (you just see the "used by" entry in lsmod increase)... or at least they should be designed to do so. Is it a problem specific to the NVIDIA drivers? Could it be worked around by adding a second "device" in XFree86Config to use with the second screen? Does it work, using on both "devices" the nvidia driver or should one of them try to load the standard nv one (and of course no glx)?

These are questions I don't have answers for... You could experiment them, but be warned, it can get ugly and crash really hard the Xserver.

Hope it helps a bit...

I've run warcraft 3 (DISPLAY=:10) two times and both times it worked, while I used vt7 (DISPLAY=:0) to have gnome2 open and edit this message. The log stated that AGP failed (so maybe it can actually cope without AGP (looked as smooth as first time) or maybe it's already initialised once, so it doesn't need to be initialised again). lsmod return's to "normal" value after closing 10 -> 29 -> 10. Don't try to mix nv and nvidia X servers running simult. This crashed my system the times I tried.

Maybe it's specific to the application, try running xterm and launching the program from within that terminal / find another way for the program to return the errorcode.

Cya lX.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: