View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lexa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Qt-3.1.2 error... Help, pls Reply with quote

Hi!

I got a problem compiling qt-3.1.2, it stops with some errors, those lines look like:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/../../../libfontconfig.so: undefined reference to `FT_Get_Next_Char'

Anyone with the same problem?

Thx
lexa
nhaggin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already working on it. Watch this thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=46911

Nick

A.M.D.G.
wasLogic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexa- I got the same error while compiling qt. I haven't yet found a fix and the referred thread was no help. Did you ever get qt to compile? I'm stumped at this point =/
-wL
nhaggin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still as stumped as either of you; as I mentioned in the thread I referred to, my particular problem appears to deal with font stuff, to wit: Freetype, fontconfig, and Xft. Are yours similar, or does the compile barf in a different place?

Nick

A.M.D.G.
wasLogic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick- mine always dies trying to link qt-3.1.2/tools/designer/uic. I get exactly the same "/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/../../../libfontconfig.so: undefined reference to `FT_Get_Next_Char' " that lexa apparently gets. I've tried everything that I can think to try from what I've found here in the forums and in the bug reports (including unmerging my old version of qt, D'oh!), but to no avail. I noticed earlier that there have been some updates to qt and xft in the portage tree, so I think i'll sync and see if that helps.
-wL
wasLogic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: still no luck with qt-3.1.2-r1 Reply with quote

so I ran emerge sync, emerge freetype fontconfig xft, and emerge -u qt and still no luck.

g++ -fno-exceptions -o ../../../bin/uic .obj/release-shared-mt/main.o .obj/release-shared-mt/uic.o .obj/release-shared-mt/form.o .obj/release-shared-mt/object.o .obj/release-shared-mt/subclassing.o .obj/release-shared-mt/embed.o .obj/release-shared-mt/widgetdatabase.o .obj/release-shared-mt/domtool.o .obj/release-shared-mt/parser.o -L/usr/lib/mysql -Wl,-rpath,/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.2-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/lib -L/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.2-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -ldl -lpthread -lqt-mt -lmng -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXi -lXrender -lXinerama -lXft -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lXext -lX11 -lm -lSM -lICE -ldl -lpthread
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/../../../libfontconfig.so: undefined reference to `FT_Get_Next_Char'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [../../../bin/uic] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.2-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/tools/designer/uic'
make[2]: *** [sub-uic] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.2-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/tools/designer'
make[1]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.2-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/tools'
make: *** [sub-tools] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/qt-3.1.2-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 130, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

my emerge info:
Portage 2.0.47-r10 (, gcc-3.2.2, glibc-2.2.5-r2,2.3.1-r4)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.4.19-r1 i686 AuthenticAMD
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/ http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /var/qmail/control /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/env.d"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
USE="x86 oss 3dnow apm avi crypt encode gif java jpeg gnome libg++ libwww mikmod mmx mpeg ncurses nls pdflib png quicktime spell truetype xml2 xmms xv zlib gdbm berkdb slang readline arts svga mysql X sdl gpm tcpd pam ssl perl python esd imlib oggvorbis gtk qt kde motif opengl cdr scanner cups"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
FEATURES="sandbox ccache"

anyone have any clue? should I file a bug report? Am I overlooking something simple? Do I need to unmerge qt-3.0.5? Any help would be much appreciated!!! thanks in advance!
-wL
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The symbol that it can not find is part of the freetype package.

To solve the issue, put 'truetype' into your useflag, and do:
emerge freetype
emerge fontconfig
emerge qt

That should solve the issue.

Erik
wasLogic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik- I added truetype to USE, emerged freetype and fontconfig, attempted qt-3.1.2-r1 and got the same error in the same place. I'm stumped. Anymore ideas? thanks!
-wL
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange that it can't find the symbol...

Ok, try this:
Code:

strings /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1.0 | grep FT_Get_Next_Char

It should return the word FT_Get_Next_Char if it is in your libfontconfig library.

You should have the following versions installed now:
fontconfig-2.1-r1
freetype-2.1.4

If not, it may be that you should emerge them again (I know, it's a hassle) using the following command:
Code:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge freetype fontconfig

Erik
wasLogic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had freetype-2.1.3-r2, emerging 2.1.4 and fontconfig now. Then I'll cross my fingers and emerge qt. Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it went in an hour (yes, I've emerged it so often that I know how many minutes I have to wait till it should have errored ;)
-wL
wasLogic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, same error while emerging qt-3.1.2-r1. Guess I'll try qt-3.1.2-r2. I've got no idea where to go if that doesn't work. Any ideas? thanks!
-wL
wasLogic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qt-3.1.2-r2 didn't emerge either. Where should I go from here? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
-wL
lexa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: still no luck with qt-3.1.2-r1 Reply with quote

wasLogic wrote:
so I ran emerge sync, emerge freetype fontconfig xft, and emerge -u qt and still no luck.

g++ -fno-exceptions -o ../../../bin/uic .obj/release-shared-mt/main.o .obj/release-shared-mt/uic.o .obj/release-shared-mt/form.o .obj/release-shared-mt/object.o .obj/release-shared-mt/subclassing.o .obj/release-shared-mt/embed.o .obj/release-shared-mt/widgetdatabase.o .obj/release-shared-mt/domtool.o .obj/release-shared-mt/parser.o -L/usr/lib/mysql -Wl,-rpath,/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.2-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/lib -L/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.2-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -ldl -lpthread -lqt-mt -lmng -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXi -lXrender -lXinerama -lXft -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lXext -lX11 -lm -lSM -lICE -ldl -lpthread
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/../../../libfontconfig.so: undefined reference to `FT_Get_Next_Char'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [../../../bin/uic] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.2-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/tools/designer/uic'
make[2]: *** [sub-uic] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.2-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/tools/designer'
make[1]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.2-r1/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/tools'
make: *** [sub-tools] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/qt-3.1.2-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 130, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

my emerge info:
Portage 2.0.47-r10 (, gcc-3.2.2, glibc-2.2.5-r2,2.3.1-r4)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.4.19-r1 i686 AuthenticAMD
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/ http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /var/qmail/control /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/env.d"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
USE="x86 oss 3dnow apm avi crypt encode gif java jpeg gnome libg++ libwww mikmod mmx mpeg ncurses nls pdflib png quicktime spell truetype xml2 xmms xv zlib gdbm berkdb slang readline arts svga mysql X sdl gpm tcpd pam ssl perl python esd imlib oggvorbis gtk qt kde motif opengl cdr scanner cups"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
FEATURES="sandbox ccache"

anyone have any clue? should I file a bug report? Am I overlooking something simple? Do I need to unmerge qt-3.0.5? Any help would be much appreciated!!! thanks in advance!
-wL

i try:
emerge -C xfree
emerge kde

and all work's perfect :)
wasLogic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: thank you lexa!!! Reply with quote

I don't know how or why, but what you sugessted worked, lexa! Thanks so much!
-wL
lexa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: thank you lexa!!! Reply with quote

... when i install kde, i did: emerge xfree and etc...
and, possible, something that there was necessary Qt did not be fixed...
So, i has unmerge xfree and then emerge kde thereby.
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that these errors are due to the byte code interpreter being turned off in freetype2? I have seen similiar errors in the discussion of the various versions of Xft.h and recompiling freetype with bci turned on then recompiling the pkg has worked for me in the past. BTW, I get the same error compiling qt-3.1.2-r3 on my ~x86, gentoo 1.2, gcc2.95.3 box - haven't tried it yet on the gcc 3.2.2 gentoo 1.4 machine.

JohnY
cheeme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One forum I visited suggested that old freetype libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib from before FT_Get_First_Char was implemented should be removed to solve this problem. Another post said:
Quote:
maybe you compiled fontconfig *before* you upgraded freetype so it didn't know to use FT_Get_First_Char?

So, I:

1. renamed the freetype libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib
  2. unmerged freetype and fontconfig
  3. emerged freetype
  4. emerged fontconfig

My system now acts like it's fixed (so far).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: