Error loading shared libraries post gcc upgrade, glibc build
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Error loading shared libraries post gcc upgrade, glibc build Reply with quote

First of all, let me apologize for all of the I-have-read-this-before comments. I have seen several posts regarding a similar problem, but none of the remedies posted therein worked, and I have decided to document this attempt more thoroughly, so I can avoid rehashing those threads.

I am having problems after upgrading gcc and recompiling glibc and binutils. Specifically, I get "error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" whenever attempting to run anything linked against it (for example, python- the basic gentoo tool).

Note: I have read the installation guide and the gcc upgrade guide. Please do not refer me back to those documents unless you notice an error I have made in following them.

I started with a blank slate and a stage 1 tarball. I mounted my directories, untarred the first stage, copied resolv.conf and mounted proc, and chrooted to /mnt/gentoo. env-update and source /etc/profile. I have done this many times, never had problems before, and had none now.

I then proceeded to emerge sync and edit make.conf. My flags are as follows:
Code:
CFLAGS="-mcpu=pentium4 -march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

Note: I have read the CFLAGS threads. Since I have a Pentium 4, but gcc 3.2.2 cannot properly emit code with -march=pentium4, I set my flags to something safe that has worked multiple times before. As far as I can tell, anything sensitive to the optimization flags (i.e., glibc) strips them out where necessary.

I then moved on to stage two:
Code:
 cd /usr/portage
scripts/bootstrap.sh

Everything worked. No problems so far. I then moved on to stage three:

Code:
 emerge system

Everything worked. No problems so far. I then tested my compiler and linker by creating a hello.cpp file:
Code:
 #include <iostream>
int main () { std::cout << "Hello world." << std::endl; }

Compiling it with
Code:
g++ hello.cpp -o hello

gave me an executable file that printed the desired text. I wanted to check the libraries used, and so running ldd on it gave me libstdc++.so.5 and libgcc_s.so.1, among others.

I then proceeded to upgrade gcc according to the guide. First, I went into /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-3.2.3-r1.ebuild and changed the KEYWORDS line by replacing "~x86 ..." with "x86".

Note: I know that gcc-3.2.3 is masked for 'instability'. On the other hand, stable.gentoo.org reports 6/6 satisfied customers, and the bugfixes are worth it for a Pentium 4 system user such as myself.

After 'manually' selecting gcc-3.2.3 by temporarily marking it stable, I upgraded gcc:
Code:
emerge -u gcc

This updated gcc-config, selected gcc-3.2.3-r1, built it, and installed it without any (visible) problems. I then updated my profile, according to the upgrade guide:
Code:
rm /etc/make.profile
ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-1.4 /etc/make.profile

I then realized that nothing had happened because I had used a 1.4 tarball. No harm done. I then proceeded update my environment with 'source /etc/profile' and list my gcc profiles with 'gcc-config --list-profiles', which gave me:
Code:
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.2.3

That looked right, and 'gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.2.3' changed nothing, so I assumed it had successfully upgraded. I ran the 'hello world' test mentioned above, and it succeeded. 'ldd hello' confirmed that it had, in fact, linked against the same libraries, but this time in '/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3'- which I believe was correct.

Then I continued to
Code:
emerge glibc binutils

which succeeded.

Then the 'hello world' program compiled and linked, but failed to execute. I cursed. The error went like this:
Code:
./hello: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I cursed again, and realized my system was cat foo bar. In fact, just running 'python' gave me:
Code:
python: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This meant I couldn't run env-update, or emerge, or anything essential to normal gentoo functioning.

I wanted to see what libraries my 'hello' program linked against, to document the error. 'ldd hello' returned:
Code:
        libstdc++.so.5 => not found
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x40016000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => not found
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40038000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

So libstdc++ and libgcc_s.so.1 were missing. I cursed some more. I needed to know where they were, so I ran 'ldconfig -v', which told me everything I needed to know:
Code:
/lib:
/usr/lib:
/usr/local/lib:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3:

which meant it found no libraries whatsoever. I continued cursing. Then I checked the appropriate locations for my libraries.

'ls /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3' returned:
Code:
cc1          jc1              libgcj.a          libstdc++.a
cc1obj       jvgenmain        libgcj.la         libstdc++.la
cc1plus      libfrtbegin.a    libgcj.so         libstdc++.so
collect2     libg2c.a         libgcj.so.3       libstdc++.so.5
cpp0         libg2c.la        libgcj.so.3.0.0   libstdc++.so.5.0.3
crtbegin.o   libg2c.so        libgcj.spec       libsupc++.a
crtbeginS.o  libg2c.so.0      libiberty.a       libsupc++.la
crtbeginT.o  libg2c.so.0.0.0  libobjc.a         security
crtend.o     libgcc.a         libobjc.la        specs
crtendS.o    libgcc_eh.a      libobjc.so        tradcpp0
f771         libgcc_s.so      libobjc.so.1
include      libgcc_s.so.1    libobjc.so.1.0.0

so the libraries were in there, and
'ls -l /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3/libstdc++*' returned
Code:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      4152062 Jun 27 03:59 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3/libstdc++.a
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          917 Jun 27 03:59 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3/libstdc++.la
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Jun 27 03:59 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3/libstdc++.so -> libstdc++.so.5.0.3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Jun 27 03:59 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3/libstdc++.so.5 -> libstdc++.so.5.0.3
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1072068 Jun 27 03:59 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3/libstdc++.so.5.0.3

which meant the symlinks were all right. But 'ldconfig -p' reported
Code:
0 libs found in cache `/etc/ld.so.cache'

So why couldn't ldconfig see the libraries?
I looked at /etc/ld.so.conf:
Code:
# ld.so.conf autogenerated by env-update; make all changes to
# contents of /etc/env.d directory
/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3

So ldconfig should have noticed the libraries. I cursed at ldconfig. I checked the contents of /etc/env.d, and everything looked fine. More particularly,
Code:
diff /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.2.3 /etc/env.d/05gcc

returned no difference in the two files. Not that it would make a difference, since I couldn't run env-update, but I wanted to make sure.

To summarize:
gcc-3.2.3 is built from gcc-3.2.3-r1.ebuild and works;
glibc and binutils were emerged sucessfully;
ldconfig is configured correctly, and the c++ library paths are in ld.so.conf, but ldconfig cannot see the libraries;
this means that python (and thus emerge and env-update and countless other useful tools) are borked; and
I have run out of good curses.

Any suggestions? I will edit this (tremendously long) post for typos and accidental omissions as people notice them.

Last edited by Xenophon on Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xenophon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

27 reads and no suggestions. I'm going to report this as a bug, since I can't find any duplicates. I'll update the bug as I hear from others.

Edit: The bug has been reported as #23599 on bugs.gentoo.org.
Xenophon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Bug Bloggery Reply with quote

To anyone watching this thread, if you have the same problem, you can also discuss it at the bug report.

Also, I think the problem might actually be related to the binutils emerge. Not only does `ldconfig' not find the libraries, but even after symlinking all my libraries to /lib, `ldconfig -p' finds 0 libraries at all.
Xenophon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Solved, I think. Reply with quote

The solution to the problem is simple. While upgrading to gcc 3.2.3, glibc and a number of other packages are upgraded. An emerge -e world silently reverts those packages (the relevant problem being the glibc downgrade). I use the adjective "silently" because emerge -ep world simply indicates all packages as new, and does not indicate that any packages are being downgraded. The only solution I have found is to rebuild world with gcc 3.2.2 and the earlier glibc.

A workaround to get gcc 3.2.3 working might be to
Code:
 ARCH_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -ep gcc

and then find each ebuild listed and convert it from unstable "~x86" to stable "x86" and stick it in the PORDIR_OVERLAY directory so that emerge sync will let them be. Then
Code:
 emerge -e gcc
emerge -e world

should work.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem, different solution (take a look at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=65809):

I marked glibc-2.3.2 as stable by removing the tilde in front of "x86" in the ebuild "glibc-2.3.2-r1.ebuild".
I remerged this version of glibc, rebooted and everything worked again (ldconfig finding the libraries).

Though surely not necessary, I continued with "emerge -e world" to recompile all packages, including kdebase, and as far as I can say now, my system is both stable and useable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: