View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: kde-3.3 -arts ...is it worth it? Reply with quote

I know there's a separate thread describing how it's done ...I'm just curious if it's worth it? What are the users' experiences with it?

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
Regor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arts is garbage. Terminate it with extreme prejudice with USE="-arts".
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regor wrote:
Arts is garbage. Terminate it with extreme prejudice with USE="-arts".

I have two problems with it (at the moment):
- it hogs up the CPU time
- to my surpirise my SB 128 PCI *doesn't seem* to have hardware mixing
...so I have it disabled, but am pretty crippled without it (at the moment)

Otherwise, I used to be completely happy with arts ...it ran perfectly well with OSS ...somehow I suspect the arts+alsa cooperation is a bit foobar :?

Just out of curiosity, what's the cheapest soundcard supporting hardware mixing? ...I just might get fed up with software mixing ;)

But otherwise: Is kde-3.3.0 worth emerge-ing (already)?

Regor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been happy with KDE 3.3.0. I am pleased that with "-arts" in USE, it is no longer installed at all. I don't really know if the kde sound stuff doesn't work without arts, since I never really use any of it anyway.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, K3B and amaroK won't compile unless kdelibs and/or kdebase are compile with arts support.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
Unfortunately, K3B and amaroK won't compile unless kdelibs and/or kdebase are compile with arts support.

hmmm, that's wierd. I'm using amarok right now compiled with USE="-arts xine" (and emerge -av amarok) and it seems to be working quite good without arts ...although I'm running it on kde-3.2.3 with arts support, but disabled.

I've just seen the screenshots: The theme manager looks a lot like in windows ...I don't like being reminded of those dark ages. *shudders* Does the old KDE control panel still exist?

JackDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is that it is not work doing a USE="-arts". Compile it in just dont use it.
Illissius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on 3.3.0 -arts right now. It's pretty great to be able to watch movies in kmplayer without the picture completely falling apart due to arts being a piece of crap. Everything that I want to have sound (eg amaroK) does, and I don't care about the rest (eg 'system sounds', which I methodically disable). The only problem I've had is that some of the strangest stuff has arts as a dependency, such as a neat window decoration I found on kde-look.org. I mean, wtf?
snuffer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the kde sounds. What i did was to compile kde with arts support but then disable arts and change the sounds to use "aplay". Works for me and arts isnt running.
Registered Linux User #360735.
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiling KDE without arts isn't supported by KDE at the moment. There are programs which still rely on arts to work properly.

Arts is a great sound server. I never have any problems with it whatsoever except with occasional audio latency, which you can fix by dropping the buffer about halfway.

I'd say that you're better off compiling KDE with arts support and then just not using it. Besides, it's not like you're going to be saving much time or disk space by not compiling it and you might introduce other problems into your KDE installation.
Dont know anything
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running KDE 3.3.0 and have -arts in my use flag. So far i dont have any troubles with it. I have not tried running amarok yet, since i prefer xmms. Everything seems to working good though. :)
Illissius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkStalker wrote:
Arts is a great sound server. I never have any problems with it whatsoever except with occasional audio latency, which you can fix by dropping the buffer about halfway.

The problem is this isn't the case for me. I've heard it has problems with ALSA, so that may be why, haven't tried OSS. But anyways, music *always* skips, no matter what I set the buffer to, trying to watch a movie with sound results in the movie being completely laggy and scrambled, and often after I exit the app artsd will stick around consuming 100% CPU and causing all sorts of others problems like preventing apps from loading.
So long story short, I'm much better off with -arts.
Frogblast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one disable arts? Arts alone renders KDE completely unusable for me, so I'm still using Gnome 2.8 even though I promised myself I would give KDE a chance...

When I do get sound, there is half second latency, it sometimes comes out garbled, artsd crashes constantly, and Juk and most other media players freeze or crash within a second or two of starting to play audio. (amd64, audigy2, alsa with OSS emulation disabled, genkernel 2.6.7)

This system should be capable of doing hardware mixing directly through ALSA (I've confirmed this by having multiple aplay processes running concurrently), so I don't see the need for having ESD or ARTS around.
Illissius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add -arts to your USE flags, and use KDE 3.3 or later. And unmerge arts, if you want to. If you need to install something outside portage and it complains about arts missing, you can try doing configure with --without-arts.
Warning: Compiled with -arts, it seems JuK didn't compile at all, as I'm not finding it anywhere; there may be others, but I haven't looked for them. I use amaroK though so it doesn't really concern me.
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illissius wrote:
Warning: Compiled with -arts, it seems JuK didn't compile at all, as I'm not finding it anywhere; there may be others, but I haven't looked for them. I use amaroK though so it doesn't really concern me.

There are others. In particular, K3B still has the problem, and I can't live without that one.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogblast wrote:
How does one disable arts? Arts alone renders KDE completely unusable for me, so I'm still using Gnome 2.8 even though I promised myself I would give KDE a chance...

I've not compiled kde with the -arts flag, it's not a huge program and, while I wish they'd get rid of it and optimize kde so that it uses alsa/dmix, it's now easy to disable (see previous posts of mine where I came up with a rather ... interesting way to disable it :twisted:).

To disable arts just go into the kde control center > sound and multimedia > sound system > uncheck "enable the sound system" and arts is disabled.

As a previous poster noted, you need to change something else so you can get aplay to play the system sounds. Again, kde control center > sound and multimedia > system notifications > player settings > check "use external player" and then, in the box, type in aplay.

The only drawback to this is that some programs (kopete?) apparently still rely on artsd for some odd reason and don't work this way. Also, doing this will also only work for .wav files and not .ogg or .mp3 files. To get around the latter part, I used a script that was posted to the forums (not sure whose code it was, but, if you recognize it, thank you and send me a message so that I can put your name in the script!).

I called the file allplayer and put it in the /usr/bin directory (remember to change those permissions to 755).

Code:

#!/bin/bash
 case `echo "$1" | sed -re "s/.*\.(.*)$/\1/"` in
 ogg)
 ogg123 "$1"
 ;;
 mp3|mpg|mpeg)
 mpg123 "$1"
 ;;
 wav|au)
 aplay "$1"
 ;;
 esac

Best,

Alex
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoweiss wrote:

Code:

#!/bin/bash
 ogg)
 ogg123 "$1"
 ;;
 mp3|mpg|mpeg)
 mpg123 "$1"
 ;;
 wav|au)
 aplay "$1"
 ;;
 esac

aplay should be like this

Code:
aplay -d plug:dmix -q

the -q is to keep it from logging a line in xsession-errors which is a must if you are doing any kind of power management for the hard drive.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truekaiser wrote:

Code:
aplay -d plug:dmix -q

the -q is to keep it from logging a line in xsession-errors which is a must if you are doing any kind of power management for the hard drive.

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't believe I need to tell it to use dmix as I have it set to default and, hence, I get software mixing without fail. I didn't know about the -q though :).

Best,

Alex
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i had to specify it being a i8x0 audio card. and i found the -q cause i need to minimize disc accses on my laptop.
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for cheap sound cards -- i think the aureal vortex cards have hardware mixing. i know my 8830 did. one word of adivce -- find the amplifier control and "mute" it. muting it turns it on... this fixes a lot of problems.
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to *bump* this thread to keep it from getting lost. There seems to have been several KDE+sound threads lately.

The method listed above seems to be working good for me in KDE 3.4. I re-iterate here what I did according to the previous posts in this thread:

# NOTE: before doing step three see "Create allplayer" below.
1) emerge kde with USE="arts oggvorbis" ... do this regardless
2) Control Center --> Sound & Multimedia --> Sound System --> UNCHECK "Enable the sound system"
3) Control Center --> Sound & Multimedia --> System Notifications --> Player Settings (button in lower right corner) --> Use an external player --> Player: allplayer

# Create allplayer
1) Create the file /usr/bin/allplayer
2) chmod 755 allplayer
3) Add the following as its contents

Code:
#!/bin/bash
  ogg)
  ogg123 "$1" &
  ;;
  mp3|mpg|mpeg)
  mpg123 "$1" &
  ;;
  wav|au)
  aplay "$1" -d plug:dmix -q &
  ;;
  esac

[EDIT]
Added "&"s to the script on behalf of information presented by Caustiq in the following posts.

Last edited by jdgill0 on Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Caustiq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdgill0 wrote:
Just wanted to *bump* this thread to keep it from getting lost. There seems to have been several KDE+sound threads lately.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
  ogg)
  ogg123 "$1"
  ;;
  mp3|mpg|mpeg)
  mpg123 "$1"
  ;;
  wav|au)
  aplay "$1" -d plug:dmix -q
  ;;
  esac

This script is slightly flawed. If for example another ogg event in KDE occurs before a previous one finishes, the second event is discarded. Just append '&' to the various player calls in the script so each process is started in the bg.

Fixed script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
  ogg)
  ogg123 "$1" &
  ;;
  mp3|mpg|mpeg)
  mpg123 "$1" &
  ;;
  wav|au)
  aplay "$1" &      # Don't forget dmix if you don't have HW mixing
  ;;
  esac
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This script is slightly flawed. If for example another ogg event in KDE occurs before a previous one finishes, the second event is discarded. Just append '&' to the various player calls in the script so each process is started in the bg.

Doesn't KDE spawn a new script process for every event anyway? Adding & wouldn't help if that's the case, perhaps exec would make more sense since the script does nothing after running the sound command anyway.
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my testing, it seems that multiple events, both playing ogg files, play at the same time. The test I used was to open two konsole sessions, in the first play ogg123 KDE_Startup_2.ogg, and in the second play ogg123 Kopete_Received.ogg. Both files are found in /usr/kde/3.4/share/sounds. The KDE_Startup_2.ogg is fairly long and gives plenty time to switch to the other console and play Kopete_Received.ogg. I can definitely hear both sounds at the same time.

I have also been watching a DVD movie and at the same time receive email, for which both sounds play at the same time.

Although what I presented is not the most rigorous test, I believe Trejkaz is correct, that KDE spawns a new script process for each event.
Caustiq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test I tried was as follows. To switch virtual desktops in KDE, I can scroll the desktop with the mouse wheel. This triggers an ogg to play for each virtual desktop change using KDE's builtin sound notifications. Usually, when I scrolled very fast I would hear very many sounds all at once, but this wasn't the case. It would only play one sound at a time, ignoring the others. I was watching my process list in real time too, and ogg123 would not be invoked twice.

So after my modification it fixed the problem. This is on KDE 3.4.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: