View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: what are people using for a firewall? Reply with quote

I was wondering what people use for a firewall and if they emerged a package to get it. I am debating just creating an iptables script, but thought I'd see if anybody is using a firewall program and whether or not they would recommend it. Thanks.
garyura
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iptables is enuff for the firewall if U want to connect to internet and safe from hacker
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: what are people using for a firewall? Reply with quote

DNH wrote:
I am debating just creating an iptables script, but thought I'd see if anybody is using a firewall program and whether or not they would recommend it. Thanks.

If you're comfortable with iptables syntax, just write your own -- it's likely the easiest way. Otherwise, check out fwbuilder, which is a great GTK-based GUI helper program to write iptables scripts. Not sure if there's a gentoo package, though.

--kurt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php <-- Monmotha's firewall script, fairly good

Another good one to break your teeth on is "Endoshield" you can find with a google search, I use a (heavily) modified version of it.
gilgames
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: what are people using for a firewall? Reply with quote

DNH wrote:
I was wondering what people use for a firewall and if they emerged a package to get it.

I picked up ferm which is nothing more than a easy (= readable) way of specifying iptables statements. I wrote my own ebuild file but it's not quite finished. Best of all, it doesn't need/have a GUI(which would make it impossible to run on my P100)

Last edited by gilgames on Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
static
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like GUI's guarddog for KDE is excellent
skylinux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: e: what are people using for a firewall? Reply with quote

I wrote an iptables script using connection tracking, from my tests and from other users this script seams to work pretty good. You can download it from here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~skylinux/linux/skyfire/

I would appreciate some feedback if someone decides to use my script.
Stay save
Skylinux
kipper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built my own using iptables. Building your own gives you control over what access you restrict or close. If you are uncomfortable or don't know much about doing this you can check out this tutorial http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/linux-onlinecourse-bytitle/A7F41AE725B03E1D86256A46005DB972?OpenDocument
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an OpenBSD bridging firewall. It's very cool 8)
dr_strange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firestarter is a nice firewall, lets you close and open individual ports, monitor your ports etcetera
bbibber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: TrinityOS Reply with quote

the TrinityOS documents provide a good background if you want to secure your system. It' s aimed for redhat systems though
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Iptables personal firewall Reply with quote

Hi all
ive been trying for ages to get iptables working but i could never get my kernel config to work. Well after extensive searching on google and these forums ive finally got iptables working. To start with i tired kmyfirewall to setup a firewall, which worked great, it really locked down my system but there was somethings i didnt like *the kde stuff for 1, as i dont use kde and the kde config on my system is messed up so the program didnt work quite right* and also i couldnt use msn nor rsync but then i tired out firestarter. Found to be very good. Couldnt get the log viewer working till i found this
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=76874 which stopped the error messages but still no logs. The firewall using the grc tests almost locks down my system but apart from port 57-56 which i couldnt get to lock down. But also my main problem with it is it doesnt save any /var/lib/iptables/rules-save and when i run /etc/init.d/iptables save i get a cat: no file.... and iptables -L doesnt show any rules. But there is rules as the grc test shows the ports being blocked.
Now i would setup my own rule set but i dont know where to start. Ive read up on google but it seems alot of work for a personal firewall. A server i understand but for just a personal aspect is there any easier way around it? Maybe someone has created a prebuilt script as such for a workstation ?

any help would greatly be appreated *i know its long winded but basically i want a firewall to keep nasty stuff out and keep all my ports stealth on a workstation*
thanks alot
Keyed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the Gentoo Security guide yet?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-security.xml

also you could look at

http://www.openna.com/products/books/sol/solus.php

I use a tweaked version of what is shown in their pdf.
Windows is not a virus: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyed wrote:
Have you read the Gentoo Security guide yet?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-security.xml

also you could look at

http://www.openna.com/products/books/sol/solus.php

I use a tweaked version of what is shown in their pdf.

Thanks man, i never knew gentoo had a security page :)
Xaignar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want a firewall for a workstation, then either Shorewall or FireHOL is my recommendation. Both are in portage, are easy to use and make use of bash scripts to perform their magic, so there is no need for X. :)
voltron2k4
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote

Ok, so after looking in /usr/portage/net-firewall/ I see that there are many different firewalls. My question to the gentoo public is... Which do you feel is the best and why? Also is there a firewall that has gui? And also is there a good "example config" that I can go by?
* Any help is more than appreciated *
idefix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Have you tried shorewall? Reply with quote

There is no gui available, but configuration is straight forward. Short documentation is available in the config files itself, otherwise have a look at the developers homepage [url]http://www.shorewall.net/[/url]
barbar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knetfilter is a gui for iptables. if you are using kde it can be handy configuring iptables.
sschlueter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Firewall Reply with quote

voltron2k4 wrote:
Ok, so after looking in /usr/portage/net-firewall/ I see that there are many different firewalls. My question to the gentoo public is... Which do you feel is the best and why? Also is there a firewall that has gui?

If you think of packet filtering and network address translation, then there are no "different firewalls". It's practically always netfilter/iptables that does the work. But there are several helper applications. While I currently don't use any of them, I think they range from simple GUIs to tools like FireHOL where rules can be expressed via a heavily simplified syntax to tools that represent a higher abstraction layer like fwbuilder or shorewall.
sschlueter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Have you tried shorewall? Reply with quote

idefix wrote:
There is no gui available

There is a webmin module available.
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: afraid to install a firewall Reply with quote

Hi, it seems the general consensus about firewalls is that ``a poorly configured firewall is worse than no firewall at all''. Therefore, I'm afraid to install any kind of firewall. However, I do like the idea of being able to close/open ports easily.

My system is my own personal machine so there are no other users I need to administrate, so I'd only be protecting my computer from ouside attacks. I've tried to keep everything network-related secure (from faqs etc.) and I've tested my ip from outside resoures (abuse.net etc.).

However, what I'm wondering is: am I being naive? Should I install a firewall? and how would I know that it will be properly configured?

Thanks in advance.

dq
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you have unprotected sex with a stranger?! You definitely need a firewall. As for testing a firewall there are website that will scan your firewall for you.
don quixada
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll install one. Any suggestions?-- if not, I'll install iptables.

There are websites that test firewalls? What are they? The only ones I know of are:

http://grc.com/intro.htm

and

http://www.abuse.net/

Or are these all I need?

Thanks,

dq
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iptables is the engine that drives your firewall. How to configure your firewall is up to you. I do it by hand which may not be for you. If you search around here you'll see some suggestions on what applications might be right for you.

Yes, those sites are fine for testing your firewall

However you do it remember the golden rule of firewalls. ALWAYS DENY EVERYTHING BY DEFAULT, then configure the firewall to allow the network traffic you need.
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/

There are a lot of apps like the above that use iptables, but provide an easier interface to work with.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: