View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elapointe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: New kind of bootsplash ! Reply with quote

I know that the new fedora Core 2 use a new booting process

Past post have no new development
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=135306&highlight=fedora+bootsplash

"Fedora doesn't actually run bootsplash, it simply starts the X server as soon as possible, and runs the graphical boot before going into GDM. "

Look that : http://www.flexbeta.net/images/linux_comparison/fedora_bootsplash.jpeg

I need help to install that

I repeat this is not a bootsplash theme !

EDITED : it's called RHGB
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=105556&highlight=rhgb
fourwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, would enjoy seeing this as an option in Gentoo.

Now, before people jump on me for this, note that I said option. I don't want to rid myself of the console. I use the console all the time. I would, however, not pass up a chance to make the boot process a bit prettier.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I got two boxes, neither of which can use framebuffer for different reasons (breaks ati closed source driver on one box, and breaks suspend to ram on my laptop). Would be very neat to have this imho :)
NME
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an option maybe, but i would never ever want to mimic the behaviour of fedora, its bootprocess rivals in slowness with Win2k...

and honestly, the idea of launching an X-server to hide your bootmessages is insane, dont you think?
xlyz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not if you are going to launch it anyway
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly, most of us on desktop boxes launches X anyway, personally I use gdm aswell (because that means ctrl+alt+backspace wont put you in a shell, as it would if you log in and write startx, so it's for security reasons), I even start gdm before I start some other services, like wireless setup/acpi/hotplug, most things actually. No reason for me not to start X earlier in the boot process.

And while fedora boot might be slow, winxp boots considerably faster than most linux boxes (simply because they start their login manager way before the system is booted), and fedora's slow boot might not be that affected by the X display of boot process.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is much niver than the butt ugly bootsplash patch that everyone else uses.. and it's not slow as people would make it out to be.

The only problem is that first few messages are still displayed since that's the kernel, they get ride of most of them using quiet, but you still see console text messages, and there's no bootsplash on logout..

I like this approach a lot more, it doesn't involve hacking the kernel with a patch that has universally been labelled abominal.
gregy_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: graphical login Reply with quote

Why shouldn't it be possible to run the whole startup process in background and bring GDM login as soon as possible?
MaxDamage
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the idea. And think people should start thinking on making the boot process faster, as is one of the few things I like more in Windows than Gentoo.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxDamage wrote:
I also like the idea. And think people should start thinking on making the boot process faster, as is one of the few things I like more in Windows than Gentoo.

Actually we can do something else - seeing as we need all these services to start we can do what Apple does, preload the GUI - I know RML is working on something like this for Novell's desktop offering.

If you want plain fast boots though, FreeBSD boots in less than 5 seconds here, less functionality than my Fedora boot though, regardless it's cool to watch.
xlyz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: graphical login Reply with quote

gregy_ wrote:
Why shouldn't it be possible to run the whole startup process in background and bring GDM login as soon as possible?

I would consider qingy as well
apeitheo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't reboot too often anyway, so why do I care if it takes a little longer to boot than Windows? I don't. Bootsplash would be nice to install sometime, but I don't like the idea of having X start as quick as it can, then stop, and then start again.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys must not be windows users or you must not have any, domain, network or scsi cards in your windows setup because as a windows user I am really impressed in how fast it takes Gentoo to load compared to windows XP. A reboot in XP with a domain takes me 2 to 5 minutes and this is on a fast machine with a GBit network.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the bootspash. Is everyone sure that this is in X windows? As a gentoo live cd has a similar feature. You see a progress bar on a graphic screen which you can press f2 to see the verbose (details) mode.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
Back to the bootspash. Is everyone sure that this is in X windows?

it is, as explained by topic poster, this is not the in kernel bootsplash patch gentoo uses.

back to loading gdm early, I'm not sure how early it can be done... though I load it before a crapload of non essential services myself, so it can be loaded pretty early.

Might look into hacking /sbin/rc to load it real quick.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
Back to the bootspash. Is everyone sure that this is in X windows? As a gentoo live cd has a similar feature. You see a progress bar on a graphic screen which you can press f2 to see the verbose (details) mode.

Positive...
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I have run fedora 2 a few times (I do have it installed at home on the same disk as gentoo) and thought it was the same as what gentoo does. I am almost positive I had it running without starting into X, but I may be wrong..

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody here has mentioned what happens if something goes bad during the boot process - if x is covering the console, and linux locks up, can you get back to the console to read the errors ?

With bootsplash, this appears possible. However RHGB is another question.
gregy_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that is the same as with any other thing that could go wrong during boot: you'll have to do smth (possibley add a boot parameter, for example?)
Anyway: my assumption is that most of the time things do not get wrong. This feature seems to be targeted for those cases. Other cases can be handled as they should be: explicitly...
The advantage of this thing over bootsplash may be arguable, but I think all of us agree that it is nice to see someone doing smth different :) even more when it relates to eye-candy.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any boot progress info that hides linux'es normal display should have an option to disable through boot param, so that's not a problem..

one thing I've been thinking about is the possibility of simply starting gdm damn early in the boot process, and use xosd to show boot progress.

A lot of us will start something like gdm anyway, I'm just using that as an example here btw, what I'm thinking is xdm and whatever's default.

What do we need to load? We need filesystems, but not network filesystems, we need to hide most of the normal boot info, and possibly hotplug to start up usb for usb keyboards, though we could start X first and do that afterwards.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked and I was wrong it does indeed load X as after I disabled X there is no bootsplash. I really thought this was not the case because the resolution changes between the bootsplash and the login screen. I know you can change resolutions on the fly with X as I do this everyday with games but it looked very much what I have seen with gentoo.. I wonder whay they do it that way?

And because I do not start X at boot I guess I will stick to the old method...

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: