cs46xx 5.1 sound... myth or fact?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackerError
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: cs46xx 5.1 sound... myth or fact? Reply with quote

Ive heard people say they have gotten 5.1 sound out of the cs 46xx cards
Ive heard people say that cs code wasnt ever available to linux for drivers
whats the truth... if anyone had 5.1 sound on these cards please write a howto, or just explain what you did and I'll write one!

That way when you insult them you're already a mile away and have their shoes.
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you can make it work using alsa - but I can't tell you for sure.
I only have a 4.1 system, although I use it as a 2.1 :-D
hackerError
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I have NO IDEA what I did today, but by messing around I got teh new ability in XMMS to use the REAR or FRONT or CENTER speaker... but not all at once, but at least I now know I can use them... how can I do them all at once? GRR!

That way when you insult them you're already a mile away and have their shoes.
Wbdsgnr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Myth? Reply with quote

How did you get it to work? I have a fortissimo 7.1 card, with only four speakers working, so it would be great of i could get 5.1 sound :) It always has been a myth to me, but maybe there is a solution?
scoon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: alsa and 5.1 surround and cs46xx chipsets Reply with quote

hey there, I hope that this helps. I have a turtle beach card that uses the cs46xx chips and I have 5.1 sound working with xmms. The one thing I have not been able to figure out is how to get 5.1 to work with console games like quake. Here is the quike rundown and then I will post my .asoundrc file:

1. get the alsa plugin for xmms

2. check the user defined and set the mixer device to pcm, mixer card to 0 (assuming that you only have one card that you are working with).

3. just under the user defined text box put SURROUND_51 in the text field. That value comes from the .asoundrc that I will post shortly.

FYI: I read and read and read the asla web page with some success and did about 5000 pounds of google searches and found some stuff that was close. After a bit of fiddling and tweaking, I got 5.1 sound to work with xmms. Good luck and here is the ~/.asoundrc file:

########## file start ######################

# front channel
pcm.FRONT {
type hw
card 0
device 0
}

ctl.FRONT {
type hw
card 0
}

# rear channel
pcm.REAR {
type hw
card 0
device 1
}

# center_lfe channel
pcm.CENTER_LFE {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

pcm.SURROUND_51 {
type plug
slave.pcm COMBINE
route_policy default
ttable.0.0 1
ttable.1.1 1
ttable.0.2 1
ttable.1.3 1
ttable.0.4 1
ttable.1.5 1
}

pcm.COMBINE {
type multi
slaves [
{
pcm FRONT
channels 2
}
{
pcm REAR
channels 2
}
{
pcm CENTER_LFE
channels 2
}
]
bindings [
{ slave 0 channel 0 }
{ slave 0 channel 1 }
{ slave 1 channel 0 }
{ slave 1 channel 1 }
{ slave 2 channel 0 }
{ slave 2 channel 1 }
]
}

########### file end ####################

I hope this helps and let me know how this works out for all.
tristure
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@wbdsgnr : you wrote that you have a fortissimo 7.1 card. Is it a Fortissimo III 7.1??
If so, let me just ask you a little question (slightly off topic sorry). Do the cs46xx sound drivers work properly with it? It's been two months that I've been trying, and I still get a very bad sound (saturation, cracklings...) ; I have to turn the volume down (75% master and 75% PCM) to get a decent quality, but then the volume is so low that it's ridiculous. Have you had a similar problem??
I've tried several versions of alsa, and none seems to work properly.

Thanks!
Wbdsgnr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: doh Reply with quote

tristure wrote:
@wbdsgnr : you wrote that you have a fortissimo 7.1 card. Is it a Fortissimo III 7.1??
If so, let me just ask you a little question (slightly off topic sorry). Do the cs46xx sound drivers work properly with it? It's been two months that I've been trying, and I still get a very bad sound (saturation, cracklings...) ; I have to turn the volume down (75% master and 75% PCM) to get a decent quality, but then the volume is so low that it's ridiculous. Have you had a similar problem??
I've tried several versions of alsa, and none seems to work properly.

Thanks!

Yes I have the same card. And indeed, I had to put the volume down to about 75% of all channels and my speakers on full volume. But it sounds good to me. And about that .asoundrc file, I allready found that one, but it doesn work. I've done something with alsactl and now i only get sound from my headphone output :( So now only two speakerswork :roll: In xmms under alsa plugin configure you can set alsa - rear and center and stuff, but none of them work, only the first one... i'm quiet lost now :)
Wbdsgnr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works :D I compiled the new kernel (2.6-test10) didn't compile oss, nor alsa in it, only sound support. Then I downloaded the new alsa (pre3) and now in xmms, I get the center to work trough that asoundrc file. Thanks a lot :) Now only surround for mplayer and games :? So I can watch my movies in surround :)
ARC2300
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS SCOON!!!!

Shweet!! Finally. I can use my Klipsch 5.1's fully.

Although. . .question. . .what can I do about the lag to the back speakers?? Just curious.
scoon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARC2300: believe it or not, I don't know. In fact, I don't even have 5.1 speakers yet. I just plugged in 3 sets of headphones to make certain that each plug was outputting sound.

sorry,

any tweaks that you can make to get surround to work better, PLEASE let me know.

thank you........
flyingbird
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a turtle beach also. i put your asound.rc in place of my asound.state (mm-sources test 9) and xmms comes up with the standard 3 part error about something blocking it or sound card not being specified correctly.

that config files works for the fronts if i take out SURROUND_51 from the user defined box.

i'm dont really want to recompile my kernel without alsa. anyway to get it to work with alsa in kernel (0.9.7 i think).

thanks
ARC2300
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingbird wrote:
i have a turtle beach also. i put your asound.rc in place of my asound.state (mm-sources test 9) and xmms comes up with the standard 3 part error about something blocking it or sound card not being specified correctly.

that config files works for the fronts if i take out SURROUND_51 from the user defined box.

i'm dont really want to recompile my kernel without alsa. anyway to get it to work with alsa in kernel (0.9.7 i think).

thanks

Mine is working with the ALSA in the kernel. Just make sure you emerge the latest xmms-alsa plugin AND you put it in .asoundrc instead of asound.rc.
T-Bird
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten this to work?

I did the file deal and put it into the 'user-defined' text box. Actually I'm not sure what you mean by the user-defined text box???

I'd really like to get my klipsch 4.1's and Hurcules Guillemot Gametheater XP working... :roll:. Can anyone be more help with this?
scoon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Bird wrote:

I did the file deal and put it into the 'user-defined' text box. Actually I'm not sure what you mean by the user-defined text box???

I'd really like to get my klipsch 4.1's and Hurcules Guillemot Gametheater XP working... :roll:. Can anyone be more help with this?

Hey there,

Sorry to say that it will not work with linux. I found that since the driver source is closed, surround will only work in windows. I purchased a Audigy2 zs card that works flawlessly with all games and sounds and whatever and actually sounds better than the turtle did.

scoon
T-Bird
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoon wrote:
T-Bird wrote:

Hey there,

Sorry to say that it will not work with linux. I found that since the driver source is closed, surround will only work in windows. I purchased a Audigy2 zs card that works flawlessly with all games and sounds and whatever and actually sounds better than the turtle did.

scoon

Are you saying the Audigy2 works with linux to have surround sound? Like I don't care to have directional 3d sound in linux and in movies, I just want all speakers pumping music!!
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there.

I've gotten my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz to do 4.1 off and on. I did the same thing as scoon in my .asoundrc, except for SURROUND_51 it looked like:

pcm.SURROUND_51 {
type plug
slave {
pcm COMBINE
channels 6
}

route_policy default
ttable.0.0 1
ttable.1.1 1
ttable.0.2 1
ttable.1.3 1
ttable.0.4 0.5
ttable.1.4 0.5
ttable.0.5 0.5
ttable.1.5 0.5
}

Not sure what difference that makes.

Also: instead of pcm.SURROUND_51, if you do pcm.!default, alsa will use that device as the default device so arts (and I'd assume xmms) uses the 5.1 device whenever the default device is used.

However, I disabled this option, because at times the front speakers would fall out of sync with the rear ones (I only have 4.1 speakers, so I couldn't tell you about whether 5.1 actually works). I'm not sure what causes this.

As for Audigies, they're a much safer bet on Linux. Crystal Sound won't release the specs of their chip, so the driver support is much worse than for the Audigy chipset (which works pretty nicely, I hear).

Hope some of this helps.
T-Bird
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe I can look into one of those cards when I start morphing the box into full blown gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: