Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to install Gentoo using the Experimental 2.6 liveCD ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexandre Schoch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: How to install Gentoo using the Experimental 2.6 liveCD ? Reply with quote

I downloaded the ISO for the Experimental 2.6 kernel live CD.
burned the CD and it boots very well, although there is no Graphical interface (as I expected).
Now I would like to use this CD to install Gentoo with the 2.6 kernel on the HD.
I did installed a gentoo some month ago, but I already formatted the disk for other purposes.
I tried all installation instructions I found, but on this live CD I do not find the required stagex files.
And there is no emerge on it either.
OK, experimental is experimental, but has somebody a short direction for me ?
Thanks,
Alex.
zend
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use wget to get a stage*.tar.gz to install it.follow the install doc of x86
Alexandre Schoch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: you can use wget to get a stage*.tar.gz Reply with quote

Zend,
Thanks, I was expecting this answer, could you help me a bit more ?

Which would be the good stage*.tar.gz to get for this ?
Any ?
The last stable ?
Or is there some good experimental that is the correct fit for the 2.6 kernel ? (downloaded the livecd 2.6a one, but it does not fit the needs. It is at least not what I was expecting, no emerge in it).

Note, my main objective is to do some tests with the 2.6 test9/10 kernels and latest versions of Gnome, Firebird, Thunderbird.
Later plan to add Mono and test C# stuff on it, which is the final objective on this "bleeding edge" install.
I am using SUSE 8.2 and Mandrake 9.1 on other machines, but would like a very customized install for Mono and Firebird; so I believe that using Gentoo I have a better control of this setup.

Thanks ,
gen2newB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stage that you want is all dependent on how you want to build the system. There are multiple .tar.gz files out there for the different stage and the different procs you use. If you want to build from scratch with the most flexibility, use stage 1(if you have a fast connection), if you dont feel like bootstrapping but still would like some flexibility(still need a fast connection to build in a reasonable amount of time), or stage 3 when you just want to set it up like mandrake or suse and you dont have the best connection. The different architectures that they may be built for are selfexplanitory. Pick the one for the corresponding CPU type that you use. Hope this helped out a bit.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing for me. I downloaded the 2.6 livecd and I was expecting to find some stage tarball on it. One must admit that not having any stage tarball is confusing about what to do next.

Now I have to navigate from another box that has a browser and figure things out. I'm gonna try one at random and see how it goes. It's experimental at its best :wink:
Pete_Keller
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecknojunky,

you can try and use lynx or links (both are text based browsers) off of the 2.4 livecds, I have not tried with the 2.6 cd yet.

Pete
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete_Keller wrote:
tecknojunky,

you can try and use lynx or links (both are text based browsers) off of the 2.4 livecds, I have not tried with the 2.6 cd yet.

Pete
Thanks alot.

I tried lynx (as suggested in the install.txt) but it did not occured to me to check if links was there, and it is. That should ease things a bit.

Thanks again.

I'm downloading the stage1 found under the experimental folder: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/experimental/x86/stages/stage1-x86-etdyn-ssp-20031008.tar.bz2

Is this proper? I have no clue what etdyn-ssp stand for.
Pete_Keller
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecknojunky,

You might have a problem with that tarball, there is a stage 1 tarball that is not liking a recent change in (I think it was) systools.

Pete
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete_Keller wrote:
tecknojunky,

You might have a problem with that tarball, there is a stage 1 tarball that is not liking a recent change in (I think it was) systools.

Pete
Oh well, it's already on my drive and I'm syncing the portage tree. Might as well play with it a bit.

What would be the proper stage for which I would get a 2.6 kernel system?
[answer]emerge development-sources[/answer]
Pete_Keller
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technojunky,

If it craps out on or around zlib, you have a bad tarball, if not, you should be good.

Pete
ShockValue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use the 1.4 live CD. Follow the instrcutions exactly the same except when it asks you to "emerge gentoo-sources" I "emerge mm-sources" instead. Then make a symlink /usr/src/linux to the new mm-sources directory under /usr/src.

Then follow the rest of the 1.4 directions normally (although kernel config changes slighly in the menu structure.)

I dunno if htis is the best way, but it works ok for me so far.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete_Keller wrote:
technojunky,

If it craps out on or around zlib, you have a bad tarball, if not, you should be good.

Pete
It complained about a missing bzlib (or libbz, i forgot). I emerged bzip2 and resumed previous emerge.

So far, the stage works, altough I don't have a clue what it has more than the others.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I made the last post, I still haven't been able to get a decent workable 2.6 machine, at least, not from the 2.6 liveCD.

There's something wrong in the way glibc is built (the suspecious -yet_exec) that makes a couple of apps to segfault. X is one, blackdown-sdk's javac is another.

At first, I was impress, but now, I get depress. When I'll get to it, I'll reinstall a 2.4 :(

So far, the 2.6 branch seem very promissing. Linux boots so much faster (that's all I can assess for speed), the new menuconfig and kernel building process are much cleaner, and the hardware support has been flawless, especially Alsa that has been next to trivial.

I guess it's the live CD or Gentoo's portage that seem to be not quite there yet. For example, the 2.4 linux-header made it into my box, surely because of dependencies not made 2.6 ready.

Anyway, I think I'll wait for the final realease of 2.6.
Pete_Keller
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecknojunky,

I have 2.6 working on my laptop (I installed it as a seperate partition for testing). Seems to work fine.

Pete
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Pete,

Judging from the number of posts, it seems that a lot of people got it working.

The kernel per say seem to work very well, it's probably (or maybe) the stage tarball I used. I maybe will retry with a conventional stage tarball.

It's maybe also because I copied the integrality of a /etc of a previous install that was on that bax, and I may have poluted my setup somehow.

One things sure, I will reinstall this box, maybe with another shot at 2.6 because, like I said, the kernel seem very promissing.
cristi1979
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

i sow at the and of gcc compilation that etdyn-ssp has to do with hardened gcc. Do I realy need it? My linux is for desktop use, not for a server.
I now compile the stage 1, but I had to remove all my USE flags to make it work so far. I had problems compiling glibc (/lib/cpp was broke), gcc, zlib... And the ~x86 flag...
I wander now if i can ever make a good gentoo system with all my USE flags on stage2...
Why the developers don't put a readme on the dirs and explain what the hack are those stages and what problems will arise from useing them?
I just hope my gcc is not "hardened", because i read that the kernel will not compile without a special pach :(. Life is cruel...
I know i heart you with my english and i apologize for that :) ...
cristi1979
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sow i see i have them both installed. The default is the "simple" gcc :). Good for me.
Going to stage2... See you later aligator.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

cristi1979 wrote:
I know i heart you with my english and i apologize for that :) ...

Phonetically, it's comprehensible. :wink:

As for me, I managed to salvage my installation, altough I still have those anoying -yet-exec and other gcc errors that pops up and for which I have no clue how to fix.

I've fix X somehow (I already forgot what I did), and I yet have to make blackdown-jdk stop segfaulting (can't compile gettext and openoffice because of that). For example...
Quote:
make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/gettext-0.12.1/work/gettext-0.12.1/gettext-runtime/intl-java'
/bin/sh ../lib/javacomp.sh -d . ./gnu/gettext/GettextResource.java

An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x400B18A0 during VM shutdown
Function=__libc_free+0x70
Library=/lib/libc.so.6
#
# The exception above was detected in native code outside the VM
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (Blackdown-1.4.1-01 mixed mode)
#
# An error report file has been saved as hs_err_pid9053.log.
# Please refer to the file for further information.
#

My 2.6 system is almost usable at 95%. In X, I have yet to get 3D acceleration going. So far, it would simply be a matter of time. I upgraded to the beta 4.3.99.902 and glxinfo now reports dri online, but as soon as I use glxgears, system is blasted to oblivion and cold boot is neccessary.
cristi1979
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i'm droping stage1-x86-etdyn-ssp*. gcc broke again...
I am again at stage1 with the other stage1 archive :(. I still build things with the 2.6 iso. If it's not working this time, i will look for my old cd with gentoo 1.4.
i want my linux again :(( ...
by again
WTF is linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 1.4 LiveCD to install my 2.6 system... just how ShockValue described above. I had no problems whatsoever using the stage1 tarball from the LiveCD. I figured the only difference would be that the older tarball might need an 'emerge -u' when I was finished (which it did.) But I'm starting to wonder.. what is the relation between the stage tarballs and the kernel version? Are the "experimental" tarballs favorable for a 2.6 system?
Veauger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, my laptop is running Gentoo -- I started with the 1.4 liveCD then downloaded the latest exp. stage3 tarball, and installed the gentoo-dev-sources kernel. Works great.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: