Cups error message from log help needed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Cups error message from log help needed Reply with quote

I have installed Gentoo and except for printing it works great. I attached an Epson Stylus C600 printer to the parallel port and installed CUPS according to a very good instruction sheet on the desktop installation. However my printer does not work. It shows up on the parallel port and I can select the drivers. I compiled into the kernel parallel support and character device support as per the various post. When I searched google for the below error all that was found was another unanswered post with the same error. Here is the message:

unable to convert file 0 to printable format for job 8!

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

GRJ
schutten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you are using cups version 1.1.15.

This one is broken, see bug filed at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3848.

Not much activity happened yet on resolving this bug (that's OK, since most people maintaining gentoo are very busy I guess), but I cannot believe that this version has not been masked yet...

Anyway to resolve this:
unmerge cups (emerge -C cups), put version 1.1.15 in package.mask (add a line with =net-print/cups-1.1.15, to not forget to update after every rsync...), then emerge cups again (first test with emerge -p cups if it really will emerge version 1.1.14-r4 now...).

This resolved it for me.
schutten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright, the non-working cups version has been masked, so all should be fine now...
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schutten wrote:
Allright, the non-working cups version has been masked, so all should be fine now...

Well, provided you don't want to do a world update, because cups may be fixed, but it knackers up the ghostscript dependencies.

Time to unmask I think. ;-)
grj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

I have it working now. I unmerged the cups I installed. as a previous not said then I did an "emerge rsync" and then "emerge gimp-print-cups" followed by "rc-update add cupsd default". Then I started the server using "/etc/init.d/cupsd". Then configured it accordingly.

Thanks for the help.

GRJ
Django
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Cups error message from log help needed Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I had a similar problem (same message in the log, not sure if it's the same cause tho :? ).
I had followed the instructions in the desktop guide in order to get cups up and running. Every time I tried to print, the job was listed as cancelled and I had the message in the log.
I checked the forums for an answer and tried what was suggested and finally arrived at a solution.

For the sake of any other newbs out there, these are the steps I went thru to solve it:
As root:

/etc/init.d/cupsd stop
emerge rsync
emerge -u gimp-print-cups
emerge -C cups
emerge net-print/cups/cups-1.1.14-r4.ebuild
/etc/init.d/cupsd start

After all was done I was able to print to my usb connected Epson Stylus.

As I said earlier I am pretty much a newb at gentoo so I may have included some redundant steps in there, but it worked for me :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: