KDE takes several seconds to show files and folders
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marco.difresco
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: KDE takes several seconds to show files and folders Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am experiencing an issue with KDE on a fresh Gentoo installation.

Every time I open a window that has access to the filesystem (like Dolphin or the open/save dialog from any program) the list of files and directories takes several seconds (sometime more than 30) to show up.

For example here it is Dolphin as I open it: http://i57.tinypic.com/t9jz28.jpg. And after several seconds it shows correctly: http://i57.tinypic.com/1okryw.jpg.

An example of Kate "Open File": http://i58.tinypic.com/2chv18z.jpg. Again, after few seconds it show up normal: http://i62.tinypic.com/2lxh7aa.jpg

The issue present itself only the first time the relative window is shown and then, as long as the relative program is running, it doesn't happen again; if I close the program and reopen it, the problem ri-present itself.

Any other operation on the filesystem is fast as it should be.

As I said, the computer, therefore it isn't a case of a worn out disk.

I am running KDE 4.12.5 on kernel 3.14.14-gentoo.

I don't know if it is related, but I found the following on ~/.xsession-errors when the problem happens:
Code:
kwin(6819) KWin::Client::readUserTimeMapTimestamp: User timestamp, ASN: 4294967295
kwin(6819) KWin::Client::readUserTimeMapTimestamp: User timestamp, final: 'ID: 81788946 ;WMCLASS: "kdialog" : "kdialog" ;Caption: "Open File – KDialog" ' : 14940945
kwin(6819) KWin::Workspace::allowClientActivation: Activation: Belongs to active application
kwin(6819) KWin::Workspace::updateClientArea: screens:  1 desktops:  1
kwin(6819) KWin::Workspace::updateClientArea: Done.
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QString)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QString)
kwin(6819) KWin::Workspace::updateClientArea: screens:  1 desktops:  1
kwin(6819) KWin::Workspace::updateClientArea: Done.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experience something similar when I'm using my main laptop running KDE (4.14.0 at present) connected to a corporate network that has a proxy server and content filtering. A Dolphin window or the window of another KDE application that needs to access files (e.g. KWrite, Kate, etc.) takes quite some time to become responsive when first launched. But if I leave the window open and launch another instance of those applications, there is no delay. And if I close all the windows, like you the problem occurs again the next time I launch Dolphin. However, everything works fine when the laptop is connected to my home network (well, there is a tiny delay, but hardly noticeable). So my guess is that your experience, like mine, is network-related. According to a 2012 post in the KDE Community Forum regarding Dolphin 4.6 launching slowly:

texwil63 wrote:
the cause is an useless (IMO) call to DNS service during startup process [of Dolphin]. So, the slowdown is the waiting time for DNS response

Whether or not that specific DNS call is still made by KDE applications such as Dolphin in later versions of KDE I do not know, but it may well still be the case, or something similar to that.

Another possibility according to Arch Linux Forums - Slow dolphin startup in KDE 4.10 is that kio-mtp slows Dolphin down. Do you have kio-mtp installed (I do)?

Fitzcarraldo's blog
marco.difresco
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fitzcarraldo,
thanks for the answer.

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
I experience something similar when I'm using my main laptop running KDE (4.14.0 at present) connected to a corporate network that has a proxy server and content filtering.
[CUT]
However, everything works fine when the laptop is connected to my home network (well, there is a tiny delay, but hardly noticeable). So my guess is that your experience, like mine, is network-related. According to a 2012 post in the KDE Community Forum regarding Dolphin 4.6 launching slowly:

texwil63 wrote:
the cause is an useless (IMO) call to DNS service during startup process [of Dolphin]. So, the slowdown is the waiting time for DNS response

Whether or not that specific DNS call is still made by KDE applications such as Dolphin in later versions of KDE I do not know, but it may well still be the case, or something similar to that.

It may be. Is there a way I can test to find it out?

At the moment my network configuration is rather simple and direct (to the router):
Code:
$ cat /etc/conf.d/net
config_eno1="192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.0.255"
routes_eno1="default via 192.168.0.1"

For the DNS, I use the Google one like I used on the previous computer:
Code:
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by dhcpcd
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
nameserver 8.8.8.8
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

And due to a different issue I have with Samba, I am not even connected to my home workgroup (BTW, for testing I even fully stopped /etc/init.d/samba to be sure that its "starting" status wasn't the culprit).

texwil63 wrote:
Another possibility according to Arch Linux Forums - Slow dolphin startup in KDE 4.10 is that kio-mtp slows Dolphin down. Do you have kio-mtp installed (I do)?

No, but I was going to install it soon (as I need it to connect to my Galaxy S3); if it does slow down Dolphin, I will wait to fix this issue first. :?
lagalopex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a "ls -Ahl /*" slow too?
Do you have any remote drives mounted? Or automounter anything slow?

Perhaps you could determine the problem with gdb/strace?
marco.difresco
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lagalopex wrote:
Is a "ls -Ahl /*" slow too?
Do you have any remote drives mounted? Or automounter anything slow?

Perhaps you could determine the problem with gdb/strace?

No, every task on the hard disk is fast and that was driving me crazy.

But I just found the solution: contrary to my previous post prediction, it was indeed Samba fault!!! :!: :!: :!:

Once Samba was up and running, both Dolphin and the Open and Save dialog windows of any program opened quickly.

Indeed Fitzcarraldo was right in pointing out the network issue (kudos!!!).

What puzzle me about this issue is that I found out KDE wan't even compiled with full Samba support: even if the "samba" use flag was (and is) in the system wide USE variable in /etc/portage/make.conf, once the Samba service was up Dolphin complained that smb:// wasn't a valid protocol; I had to explicitly put "kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves samba" in /etc/portage/package.use and re-emerge kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves to fix it.

Considering that and the fact I tried to have /etc/init.d/samba fully stopped, I wonder why KDE was bothering at all with it. I wonder what happen to the people that don't have Samba installed (no local network, but a single PC connected directly to the ISP modem).

Thank you both for the support.
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to read that you solved your problem.

marco.difresco wrote:
What puzzle me about this issue is that I found out KDE wan't even compiled with full Samba support: even if the "samba" use flag was (and is) in the system wide USE variable in /etc/portage/make.conf, once the Samba service was up Dolphin complained that smb:// wasn't a valid protocol; I had to explicitly put "kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves samba" in /etc/portage/package.use and re-emerge kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves to fix it.

I already have both the system-wide samba USE flag in make.conf and the package-specific samba USE flag for kdebase-kioslaves in package.use. Also, in my case Dolphin does not complain that smb:// is an invalid protocol. Yet I still have the delay in the case of the corporate network I mentioned earlier. It also happens when I'm using the WiFi network of the hotel in which I'm typing this now. So I suspect we are (well, in your case, 'were') experiencing the same symptoms but due to different causes, although I'm sure mine is also network-related. It does not happen when I'm using my home network, as I mentioned previously. If I had the time I'd fire up Wireshark when I'm connected to either of the two networks (corporate & hotel), and also on my home network when I'm back home next week. But, to be honest, I've put up with it for a while and it does not bother me too much. I do have three Samba links in the Places pane of Dolphin windows. They are links to network devices on other networks that are not accessible here, but I don't think that is the cause of the delay I'm seeing because those devices are also not on my home network and also not accessible on that network, yet the response on my home network is much better. And, furthermore, the delay also occurs when I'm using KWrite or Kate and trying to open a file, and Dolphin is not even open. The delay does not occur with LibreOffice though, so it does look like a KDE-specific problem. Anyway, my curiosity is piqued so I'll have to do some more research.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: