Login via DM fails and screen unlock fails in Plasma 5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saivinoba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Login via DM fails and screen unlock fails in Plasma 5 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I run ~amd64 with systemd. I have working Gnome 3.12 desktop. I could not resist the temptation to try new KDE. So I changed profile to just 'desktop' from 'desktop/gnome/systemd'. I followed wiki and installed KF5 and Plasma 5. Not all went smooth as simple as given in wiki. Apart from what's given in wiki, a lot of mask/unmask, merge/unmerge, keywording had to be done. But I didn't document any of it. My bad.

I have installed @kde-frameworks and @kde-plasma. I have two issues with new KDE currently.

1. When I try to login from GDM, the mouse icon comes (breeze theme), the K-gears icon comes but the progress bar never completes. The screen just stays like that. However, if I login to terminal and launch 'startx', the plasma desktop loads fine.

I don't know if using KDM will fix it. But KDM is not yet updated?! It still inherits kde4 and tries to load 4.14 packages (kdesu, kdepasswd, khelpcenter etc).

2. When the screen locks (which is no issue), and I try to unlock it, the password is not accepted. I know the password is correct: no keyboard change, no uppercase or anything. It just says unlock failed or unsuccessful something..

I thought this again is some authorization issue and suspected not having polkit-kde-agent could be cause. But again when trying to install it, I get same kde4 dependency problem.

Are my problems related to updated (to kf5) ebuilds being not available or is there something I can try and fix in the current setup itself.
mattrk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: LightDM Reply with quote

One suggestion I read earlier today was to use lightdm instead of gdm or kdm.
saivinoba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattrk, thank you so much!

Using lightdm instead of gdm fixed both issues. Of course I had to merge lightdm with -kde and -qt4 USE flags as they were pulling KDE 4.14 packages.

While the problem is fixed, I would still like to know why the problem was related to GDM.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: