gcc compile question... Optimizations per Processor
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: gcc compile question... Optimizations per Processor Reply with quote

Hi, After about 3 Days and 20-30 recompiles i have finally joined the Gentoo Community with a working from scratch install.. YAY *does a little dance* .. =)

Anyways i was courious.. i'm compiling X and KDE now.. and i noticed when it's compiling it's only using the -march=i686 -03 -pipe with all the compiling... The same when i compiled the kernel..

I have an Athlon XP 1700 CPU and i've see some stuff about using
-athlon-xp -mmx -3dnow -sse and stuff..

My Questions are
1. with out these optimizations is my stuff going to run like dog slow.. another is..

2.how excatly do i go about using these parameters to make FULL use of my processor.. I did try to put a couple of these is the USE "" but that didn't seem to work.. and i'm a little lost on this part.. and after 30 re-compiles my brain feels a little tired.. hehe

Thanks for any help!!
tkdack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: gcc compile question... Optimizations per Processor Reply with quote

Mandr4ke wrote:
Hi, After about 3 Days and 20-30 recompiles i have finally joined the Gentoo Community with a working from scratch install.. YAY *does a little dance* .. =)

Congratulations

Mandr4ke wrote:
Anyways i was courious.. i'm compiling X and KDE now.. and i noticed when it's compiling it's only using the -march=i686 -03 -pipe with all the compiling... The same when i compiled the kernel..

I have an Athlon XP 1700 CPU and i've see some stuff about using
-athlon-xp -mmx -3dnow -sse and stuff..

My Questions are
1. with out these optimizations is my stuff going to run like dog slow.. another is..

Nope, it should run OK, just not optimal, although -O3 is a reasonable level of optimisation.

Mandr4ke wrote:

2.how excatly do i go about using these parameters to make FULL use of my processor.. I did try to put a couple of these is the USE "" but that didn't seem to work.. and i'm a little lost on this part.. and after 30 re-compiles my brain feels a little tired.. hehe

Thanks for any help!!

Those particular optimisations will only work if you have installed a system from a 1.3x iso or if you upgraded a 1.{0,1,2} install.

To use the athlon-xp specific compiler optimisations you need to be using GCC-3.1.

The place to put all these things is in /etc/make.conf this file is fairly well commented so you shouldn't have too many problems.

Also look at
Code:
man gcc

for more information on the switches you can pass to the compiler.

Former Gentoo contributor TaD
nbensa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: gcc compile question... Optimizations per Processor Reply with quote

Mandr4ke wrote:
I did try to put a couple of these is the USE "" but that didn't seem to work..

No. You should use CFLAGS for CPU optimizations.

Read /etc/make.conf, everything is in there.

HTH,
Norberto
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Ahh ok Reply with quote

Ahh ic,, thanks, i'm currently using the 1.2 r7 Release.. not gcc 3.0, so that would explain why.. so i guess for my system it's optimal then.. yay..

=)

Just hope X/KDE finish's it's install soon, it's been over 2 hours now.. daaaaam.. hehe
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: