Games not working - Nvidia drivers.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hcaulfield57
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Games not working - Nvidia drivers. Reply with quote

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I'm not sure when it started, because I haven't had much time for games lately, but I've found that games simply will not play on my computer anymore. I've tried a few games, some playing through WINE and others playing natively. Few noteworthy ones being Starcraft 2 on WINE and Portal 2 natively. For whatever reason both games crash on startup. I'm running gentoo sources 3.15.10, nvidia drivers 343.13 and I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti. I've never had trouble playing games before on this computer, so I assume that this is some new issue. I feel it has to be with the Nvidia drivers, but I'm not sure. I'm running two monitors, picture quality looks great, it's just this issue. Thanks.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleaes try to upgrade to the newest gentoo sources and make a kernel config from scratch. Than build the kernel, boot that kernel and emerge the newest nvidia-drivers available in portage, than reboot and check again.

99 percent usually should solve this issue.

also check out hte gentoo wiki about nvidia-drivers, you may missed a point.

you may just run into a new wine bug, or wine does not works with that version. check if you upgraded wine / nvidia-drivers / kernel recently and if its related to that.
lagalopex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.16.1 with x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-343.13-r1 without a problem.
app-emulation/wine-1.7.24 was fine, but for performance I now use wine with CSMT enabled. Works fine for sc2.

64-bit? (I had most 32-bit programs crash due to alsaequal :-/ )
Is any message printed from wine when crashing?
Is wine itself crashing? (Then perhaps try to start it in gdb.)
hcaulfield57
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it has anything to do with the way the kernel is compiled, because I've been using this configuration for sometime without any problems as far as games are concerned. It may be worth taking a look at my kernel configuration, but I think the problem lies with the nvidia-drivers. I'm stuck on 3.15 series, because I'm running a ZFS root and ZFS does not support anything above 3.15 for now.

I am indeed running a 64-bit kernel. I'll take a look to see if I can see any error messages or not. I don't think the problem is WINE related at all, because I have native games that also will not play.

Thanks.

EDIT: I tried launching Steam (which works), although I get the error:
Code:

OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering, which may cause performance problems.

For more information visit https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9938-EYZB-7457.

EDIT2: I added my user to the 'video' group and it appears that I can now launch Starcraft 2. I'm not sure why this was necessary, because I don't recall having to do it before. But perhaps it's something that I've always done and simply forgot to do it, since this is a relatively new install. Oh well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: