View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
new_fish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Problem with custom menu entry on KDE Reply with quote

I'm running into an issue with KDE applications launcher.

I'm using this command from a terminal to browse the web:

sudo -u ffuser -H proxychains firefox

So I'm able to browse the web with firefox (running as an unprivileged user) and routing packets through my custom proxies list... it works good.
But now i want to add this as a custom entry to my KDE menu, i created a new menu item and set the command.
The problem is that when i click the menu item it shows the bouncing icon near mouse pointer for a while (lets say 6-7 seconds) and then the icon disappear and nothing happen... it is like it tries to execute the command but at some point it fails.

I don't know how to check for possible errors when launching from KDE menu...

What do you think about this?
What can i do to make it works?

Last edited by new_fish on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your command work if you put it into bash script? If so, you may just point your menu entry to this script.
If it doesn't work from script, possibly it's a sudo password confirmation issue. Do you have NOPASSWD option set for your user in /etc/sudoers?
new_fish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think is a password issue because if i use 'sudo -u ffuser -H firefox' (without proxychains) it starts without problems from the menu...

Anyway when i get back home i will try it from a bash script as you suggested...
new_fish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i solved the problem... i don't know why but it was actually an issue with my sudoers file.
Running the command from the terminal showed that a password was required, even though NOPASSWD directive was specified in the configuration.
Probably when i tested the command a password was not required because expiration time was not over from my previous command, i can't think of another reason.
Anyway my CMD ALIAS was not recognized, not only for proxychains but also for other programs, so i re-edited the file via visudo command (using the same configuration) and everything is working good now.. i don't know why :|

Thank you for your reply creaker, cause you pointed me in the right direction
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: