Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Anyone successful with 3C996B-T Gigabit NIC on Sparc?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
picard66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Anyone successful with 3C996B-T Gigabit NIC on Sparc? Reply with quote

I could successfully setup gentoo with kernel latest stable kernel 2.4 on our E450 (Sun4U, 4xUltrasparc II 296 MHz, 2 GIG RAM) using the onboard HappyMeal Ethernet 100 NIC.
But when I wanted to use one of our 3Com BT996B-T Copper Gigabit NICs (Broadcom BCM5701 based) I ran into Problems:

The Kernel tg3.o Module won't load stating some DMA Error. So I tried to use the bcm5700.o module written by Broadcom and provided by 3com (bcm5700-6.0.2.tar.gz) which flawlessly runs on our Linux x86 (yes gentoo ofcourse) boxes.
First I had to change the Makefile of the driver to compile on sparc-linux and to produce a Sparc64 module for my kernel. Then insmod complained about missing
Quote:
this_is_starfire
starfire_hard_smp_processor_id
symbols. After tracking down the thing to some kernel symbol (yes there is a NIC of that name too) I've modified the kernel-sources in

/arch/sparc64/kernel/sparc64_ksyms.c

to export the existing but initially unexported symbols and guess what:
the module loaded successfully reporting a setup NIC.
...but the NIC did not work that time (resource temporarily unavailable)

After moving the NIC from a 33MHz/64Bit 5V PCI Slot to a 66MHz/64Bit 3.3 V slot, the module successfully loaded and the interface got an IP by dhcpd showing a 1G Link at the switch. BUT when I try to RX/TX anything else on the interface after bringing it up, the whole system freezes (ping, ssh or emerge sync) and can only be reseted by switching the system off and on again. (even Stop-A doesnt work)

Has anyone been successfull with this NIC or has some hints for me how to work this problem out (I am into programming, but not into kernel-hacking)
picard66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Ok, after moving the NIC to the 66MHz PCI Slot, finally die kernel tg3-driver also loads and initializes the card.
But there still seem to be some issues, because most of the network apps (excluding e.g. ping) oops now (which is still better than killing the whole system, but not very usefull either)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: