View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philip
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Application Launcher Menu does not show packages Reply with quote

I have a strange problem with the KDE4 Application Launcher Menu:

Most of my applications show up in the sub-menues of KDE4 Application Launcher Menu. But I installed kdemultimedia-meta recently and none of these applications show up under the submenu "Multimedia".

I can start the various applications "by hand", using "Run command..." and type in the app's name. But they are not visible in the Application Launcher Menu.

Is there a way to "re-populate" the "Application Launcher Menu" with the applications installed?
I would like to understand the root cause of this problem. But I have not found much by googling unfortunately.

Last edited by philip on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE's application menu is in /etc/xdg/menus with additional files in /usr/share/desktop-directories.
Its support for the additional free desktop categories is very poor, but that's another issue. Anyway, a software will be shown into a xdg application menu, only if it provide a desktop file in /usr/share/applications.

For details, as the name of the variables, you can take a look here: Desktop Menu Specification.
For a menu with complete support for the additional categories: https://github.com/domichel/fvwm-xdg-menu If you succeed to made it to work with kde, I am interested to know how.
philip
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for comments Dominique_71,

I have noticed from my other desktop installation that the working of the menu system is not 100%. However, my kdemultimedia applications shows in the sub-menu on the desktop installation. There I have the full blown kde installation, kde-meta.

On this laptop I chose a minimal kde installation, with the intention to add applications as I need them. Unfortunately the kdemultimedia-meta suite does not show up in the submentues.

Unfortunately I believe I do not I have time to investigate https://github.com/domichel/fvwm-xdg-menu . Otherwise it seems to be an interesting alternative.
philip
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved it:

Right Click "Application Launcher Menu" --> Edit Applications --> Edit (in the drop down menu row) --> Restore to System Menu (last option at the bottom)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: