Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Screen goes complete black when the server boots up.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manu_leo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Screen goes complete black when the server boots up. Reply with quote

Hi Experts, I know this is not the right channel to ask question regarding Ubuntu, but because I have so much faith on all of your technical capabilities, I thought of posting it once.

I am not sure what exactly I am missing. I recently installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my Dell server. When the server rebooted after the installation, i see a complete blank screen with black background, no icons, nothing.

However, later I connected to it via ssh which works just fine and then I installed tightvnc-server and xfce package. I am now able to vnc to it and see the gui.

I tried installing 'ubuntu-desktop' but everytime I do that the server gets stuck in a loop and it keeps on restarting.

Here are my server info -

Ubuntu - 14.04

root@euclid:~# lspci | grep VGA
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106GL [Quadro K4000] (rev a1)
0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. G200eR2

I saw some errors regarding the GNU settings n Nvidia, so I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers from the server using :-

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

Now I am getting a Kernel Panic error. I am completely stuck here. Have tried all the resources from my end and need your expert advice,

Thanks and Appreciate all your help in advance.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some kernels do not work very well with userspace utils. I had it here too recently.

kernel + userspace utils + xorg-server needs to work together.

I highly recommend that you use a stable kernel org release like 3.10.x and stable xorg-server with related gpu driver, that should work

Because things are changing always only a few kenrels work with a few releases of those packages flawless in my expierence.

On a second thought: why dont you use binary nvidia-driver with ubuntu stock kernel?

you may end up in building your own kernel with appropriate settings and than pull in the relevant packages for your gpu and the xorg-server manually.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Unsupported Software.

To avoid Gentoo users being mislead

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: