Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Multilingual movies using phones and tcp/ip from a TV?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1clue
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Multilingual movies using phones and tcp/ip from a TV? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not really familiar with multimedia. I've played DVDs and that sort of thing, but what I'm asking about I don't have the slightest.

So I just heard about soundwire server. http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/how-to-stream-pc-audio-to-your-android-device-via-wi-fi-103912.html

It gives me an idea, and somebody here is probably already doing it.

I'm from the USA, and speak English. My wife is from Colombia and while she speaks English she misses out on some movie content.

So I have this idea, that we could watch a movie on the TV (big screen and all) but have English going to my phone and Spanish going to her phone, each listening with earbuds.

Is this doable with current software?

Thanks.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue,

The hard bit is extracting two audio channels from the DVD/BD at the same time.
I don't know of any players that offer that. It may well be possible to add.

With your ear buds in, how would you talk to one another?

Maybe you need to improve your Spanish :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
1clue
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this is going to splinter seriously as background.

First, I definitely need to improve my Spanish. She's way ahead of me learning English, but it's not really optional where we are. I like the logic and simplicity of Spanish but I've been slowing down with my lessons. :(

Second, I'm finding myself listening more and more to good quality earbuds, especially since I got married. She listens to her thing, I listen to mine, and they're not the same thing.

Third, I'm duplicating sound systems everywhere. This seems to be a waste. One for each workstation, one for each TV and one for my phone. And one for each car. A bunch of relatively moderate purchases winds up being a really big number. So I think it's more appropriate (more economic and more logical) to spend a relatively large amount on one sound system per family member.

Fourth, Audio card:
I'm contemplating a personal audio system of some sort, akin to this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_063HAP50/TEAC-HA-P50.html?tp=59459&awkw=76402143985&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=49161119785&awdv=c but not exactly that. I want a premium DAC and sound processor, excellent mixing capability and multiple inputs and outputs.

The neat thing here is not as developed as I'd like it to be. I want:

1. line in
  2. line out
  3. headphone out (2x)
  4. multiple USB in
  5. An extended life battery, probably LiPo, that I can easily switch out and charge separately.
  6. bluetooth, in and out.
  7. Possibly micro SD card(s)
  8. Wifi

The thing with the Teac is that as USB it becomes a sound card. You digitally transfer the sound to the better electronics and those better electronics play the sound, and your phone or computer has no part in it other than choosing what to play.

So what I want is a smart phone (Android) app which connects to the headless amp, which will probably be something like a Raspberry Pi or Arduino. Through that I can run a mixer and select sound sources, or select music from the micro SD cards or USB sticks. Or a TV for example. I'd like for certain things to be automatically linked as soon as they come in range, like my computers via Internet.

Fifth, headset: A few years ago I gave up on headphones as unnecessarily bulky, after I discovered that when you pay a 3-digit number of US dollars you can get pretty good audio quality. I've been using these for awhile: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/in_ear_headphones/index.jsp&Variant=mie2_headset because they don't isolate the environment, you can hear the room just fine. The trouble is, I'm not all that enamored with their sound quality. Some of the isolating headsets are much better, but since I can't hear what goes on around me they're not acceptable. So in order to get better quality I need either a non-isolating earpiece or a way to reduce isolation electronically.

So one of the things I thought would be a neat feature (since I'm dreaming this up right now) is a mixer to add the microphone back into the signal. It could be neat to have noise canceling features in there too but I don't know if that's feasible.

The headset that sounds best to me so far is Shure. I've tried a few of their lower end models and aside of the noise-isolating "feature" I can't live with, they sound great. I'd really love to try this one: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se846-sound-isolating-earphones but I don't know if I'll be able so afford it. Certainly something in their line will fit, and certainly a microphone line can be easily added in the mixer circuit. Their USD$150 models are very clearly better than the Bose ones I'm using, so I could actually work up to the good headsets.

Sixth, alternate inputs: This sort of brings me back to my original question: What about two or more people watching the same movie on the same TV, only each in their own language of preference?

Your statement about it being the BD-player's job is what I was afraid of. This is the first time I've ever heard a good argument for extracting the video onto a computer and playing it from there. All I've ever wanted to do is just watch the @%@# movie, not store it in my "personal library" or any of that horse crap. One of my boxes has a BD-R in it, I wonder if that might help? But I've never successfully played a blu-ray disc on it. Fortunately the primary reason was a really big backup, and that works fine.

Seventh, putting it all together: Obviously I'd need to prepare my sources appropriately. I'd need a TCP-based audio channel from the TVs, either intercepting the signal through an HDMI cable or pulling it from the electronics themselves, I prefer the former I think since it avoids a layer of processing.

The idea of playing music through my phone, that could be avoided just by putting the music on my device directly and controlling it from my phone. I'm already looking at a CPU of some sort, so making sure it has enough appropriate connections shouldn't be a big deal.

The "device" would probably need both to be a TCP audio client to something like soudline, and probably also be a server for it at least on occasion.

This is obviously still in the crazy dream phase, but at least part of that is already available in things like this Teac device.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue,

Playing Blu-RAy on non approved players is very hit and miss. The content protection has not been cracked yet, unlike DVD Region Encoding.
So Blu Ray playback depends on using known keys. That makes it very difficult to extract two languages at the same time.

DVD is much more user friendly, in that lots of open source software players exist, so it sounds possible to extract two languages and send them to separate sound cards.

Getting at the digital data in an HDMI cable is a non starter too as 1920x1080 will have HDMI Content Protection applied, or it will be down sampled to something close to DVD quality if HDMI Content Protection is not supported.

BD is seriously intrusive, I've just about given it up as an entertainment format.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
1clue
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, been there done that with blu-ray. I like the video quality, but at the very least you should be able to pull optical out or even headphone out of the TV and do things that way.

It's like this for me: I would like to intercept the signal at the earliest possible point, but in the case of something like BD-R that's very possibly at the audio out point.

Mostly for me, the TV audio doesn't matter that much, I don't think it's really high fidelity anyway. For me, the music is most important. So the idea of a small SBC with its own USB slots for music, and a really good sound card, makes a lot of sense for that.

Then, from there, whatever means I can get the signal to my personal sound card, that's how I'll do it. IMO I should be able to get something (rpi?) that can take digital out from the TV, then maybe go straight to a pi with soundwire or something.

The thing is, technically speaking all this stuff is possible with existing equipment except the multiple audio out and the fancy personal mixer/amp. The multiple audio, I figured somebody might be doing that already with Linux and its fairly sophisticated audio setups, so I thought I'd ask.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: