HELP - mouse can't reach margin of scaled display -SOLVED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: HELP - mouse can't reach margin of scaled display -SOLVED Reply with quote

I have a headless machine with a 1920x1200 vnc server that has been running that way for years. The windows are all layed out on that size display in such a manner that allows me to remotely administer that server. I actually have a number of such machines. The display size was chosen because that was the size of my laptop display, from which I remotely administer those other servers.

I got a new laptop with a 1920x1080 display. :(

I used xrandr to scale the X-server that I display the vnc client on, so I could still see the entire vnc server's display raster. :twisted:

I used:
Code:

$ xrandr DISPLAY=:1 xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1x1.1111111

to scale the laptop X-server. It works great! :D

I can see the entire 1920x1200 remote display on my local laptop's 1920x1080 built-in display.

Only one problem: the mouse is still constrained to the original 1920x1080 dimensions, but it needs to go the full 1200 in the y direction in order to reach the bottom of the scaled display. :evil:

How can I reset the mouse to the new virtual pixel dimensions of the scaled display, so it can reach the bottom of the raster?

----------------->>> UPDATE

I found this Ubuntu bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/883319

Is there something similar for a gentoo bug report? Seems like this ought to filter up to the Xorg people...

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.

Last edited by Moriah on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIXED !!!

I found a note that you need to use the --panning option along with the --scale option to get the mouse to cover the new larger raster.

Here is the comand that works:
Code:

DISPLAY=:1 xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1x1.1111111 --panning 1920x1200

Whoopee! I have worked around my puny 1920x1080 display and made it emulate a 1920x1200 display. :mrgreen:

The only bad thing is the scaled resolution is not quite as sharp and crisp as a true 1920x1200 display would be.

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: