Automounting in fluxbox
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Automounting in fluxbox Reply with quote

I am using fluxbox.I used to run a couple of programs from gnome2. Recently, I started to switch to mate alternatives for those gnome2 software.The process is almost complete but I figured that for some reason auto-mounting does not work for me. AFAIK, there is no mate alternative for gnome-base/gvfs. So my idea was to stick with it. However, I also switched from gdm to lightdm because, gdm wouldn't start my fluxbox session after I unisalled a lot of gnome related programs.

I tried to google around and I found an old bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=479660 with lightdm and consolekit. I am using x11-misc/lightdm-1.8.5 so the bug should not concern me.

Code:
$ ck-list-sessions
Session3:
   unix-user = '1000'
   realname = '(null)'
   seat = 'Seat1'
   session-type = ''
   active = TRUE
   x11-display = ':0'
   x11-display-device = '/dev/tty7'
   display-device = ''
   remote-host-name = ''
   is-local = TRUE
   on-since = '2014-08-09T18:02:20.734404Z'
   login-session-id = '3'

Am I right that this output is OK?

I want caja to show the removeable media but when I launch it, I cannot see anything. When I mount something manually, I can see the mounted folder in caja.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or is there any alternative for gvfs that would work in my case?
elko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized that gvfsd was not running at all. So I stareted it and it automatically launched gvfsd-fuse. But when I insert a CD/DVD-ROM, it is not automounted. I tried to launch other gvfs programs that sounds like they might be responsible for the detection of removeable media but I did not managed to get gvfs working. Is somewhere an explanation how gvfs works in details? I found only man pages that lists all the utilities with a short description a several web pages with very similar content.

I am using the following packages and use flags:

Quote:

gnome-base/gvfs 1.20.2 cdda fuse gtk http ios udev udisks -afp -archive -avahi -bluray -gnome-online-accounts -gphoto2 -libsecret -mtp -samba -systemd -test
sys-auth/consolekit 0.4.6 acl pam policykit -debug -doc -selinux -systemd-units -test KERNEL="linux"
x11-misc/lightdm 1.8.5 gtk introspection -kde -qt4 -razor
sys-apps/dbus 1.8.6 X -debug -doc -selinux -static-libs -systemd -test ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64" ABI_X86="64 -32 -x32"[/code]
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A major part of your question is kind of silly - neither fluxbox nor any other window manager have anything to do with automounting.
Now, what does is usually the file manager you use.

The flow is a bit different.

Usually, udisks listen for notifications from udev about new file systems appearing and posts global notifications of that via dbus.
If there's a program listening for these messages on dbus, it can take an action in response to that message.
That program is usually the file manager.
gvfs may come into play here, as gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor is the default provider for gio-based volume monitoring API, though - for example - in KDE solid plays this role.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: