Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Choppy Graphics/Intel HD graphics
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ShanaXXII
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jun 2014
Posts: 240
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Choppy Graphics/Intel HD graphics Reply with quote

I have a previous generation intel HD graphics on a previous generation intel i5.
My make.conf is set to:
Code:
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965"

Everything is working fine, but when im watching videos on youtube and other online streaming videos, everything feels very choppy.
Its not choppy as in framerate, but as in like one section of the screen is kind of lagging behind. Like they're cut.
Sometimes, when im watching a video, it would freeze a few seconds too and then ill have to pause it and wait for it to unfreeze
This didn't happen when I was using windows on it. :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
john_deaux
n00b
n00b


Joined: 16 Sep 2013
Posts: 47
Location: On the banks of the Pontchartrain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an i7 and have my make.conf has:

VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev intel vesa".
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse synaptics".

What platform are you on?

Have you compiled the Intel options for the i5 in the kernel?

j_d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShanaXXII
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jun 2014
Posts: 240
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john_deaux wrote:

What platform are you on?

Have you compiled the Intel options for the i5 in the kernel?
j_d


Platform?
Intel options for i5?
very sorry but im n00b :oops:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
john_deaux
n00b
n00b


Joined: 16 Sep 2013
Posts: 47
Location: On the banks of the Pontchartrain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries.

What computer are trying to put this on? Exact model number would be fantastic.

When I compiled my kernel I went by this guide here: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T440s, which includes the i5.

Hope this helps.

j_d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShanaXXII
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jun 2014
Posts: 240
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a site on it. But unfortunately its based on the i3 version with ATI graphics :/
http://gentoo-en.vfose.ru/wiki/Dell_Inspiron_1564
it tells me to use core 2/xeon for processor in the link above.
since im using an i5 (probably more superior than i3) i can use that processor type instead of genericx86_x64 right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 2950

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShanaXXII ...

I don't imagine this has anything to do with your current video setup, it can probably be reduced to flash itself and firefox (assuming this is what being used to view youtube). Anyhow, you might try disabling "smooth scrolling" and/or hardware acceleration (though the latter will cause highers CPU use ... but you might try toggling it to see what effect it might have).

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShanaXXII
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jun 2014
Posts: 240
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
ShanaXXII ...

I don't imagine this has anything to do with your current video setup, it can probably be reduced to flash itself and firefox (assuming this is what being used to view youtube). Anyhow, you might try disabling "smooth scrolling" and/or hardware acceleration (though the latter will cause highers CPU use ... but you might try toggling it to see what effect it might have).

best ... khay


okay, ill try that. Does using Youtube html5 extension impact this? because I use that to watch youtube..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 2950

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShanaXXII wrote:
Does using Youtube html5 extension impact this? because I use that to watch youtube..

ShanaXXII ... well, in either case its firefox that will be providing the underlying mechanisms for how the video is displayed. I have all this disabled so I can't say how well, or badly, it works. You might look at this.

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShanaXXII
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jun 2014
Posts: 240
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried turning off the html5 and its even slower. it takes about 2 seconds for flash player to respond to my pause/play clicks. And it takes even longer when i want to skip to a certain section of the video ):
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShanaXXII
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jun 2014
Posts: 240
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess no one else ran into this problem?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ct85711
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Posts: 435

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't say I've ran into this myself on firefox; but mostly due to not using flash in general (adobe stopped providing updates for the flash plugin for firefox a while ago, and soon stop tech support too). I've been mostly using html5 on youtube.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShanaXXII
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jun 2014
Posts: 240
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
I couldn't say I've ran into this myself on firefox; but mostly due to not using flash in general (adobe stopped providing updates for the flash plugin for firefox a while ago, and soon stop tech support too). I've been mostly using html5 on youtube.

i see...
Is that the probable reason why flash on firefox is terrible>?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ct85711
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Posts: 435

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't really say on performance wise, as I haven't used adobe-flash plugin since adobe stopped updating it. Though it's something to keep in mind, in that adobe-flash hasn't been updated in multiple years; while regular flash (i.e. windows and for google-chrome been updated regularly; for my system google-chrome has flash 14.0.0.145; while adobe-flash is only 11.2.202.394). Most sites I've been to that wants flash, several wants flash version 12-13+. Considering, most times on major version changes; there is performance improvements in the code along with new features. A test you could possibly try; check the performance of the youtube videos on google-chrome. This will at least see if it's an issue with something else on your system causing the lag or is it the flash version, or even firefox in general. Personally I prefer using firefox, but I'm also one to recommend people to use what works best for them over what I prefer. For all we know it could be some extension or another plugin is causing troubles with adobe-flash.

I was checking up, and it looks like adobe discontinued doing updating adobe-flash on 2011, and only providing bug fixes till 2016. I couldn't say if adobe has provided any bug fixes since they discontinued updating flash on linux. Chances are if they did any, it would have only been some that they consider major; and ignore minor bugs (applying the those fixes to the newer versions of flash).

Last I have seen, youtube preferred using flash over html5 by default; typically you have to tell youtube to switch over to html5 instead of flash playback. Even then, html5 playback is dependent of a 3rd party plugin to provide that (typically gstreamer; which firefox needs gstreamer use flag enabled for that and of course gstreamer installed too). From what it looks like youtube supports a couple other video formats, but they are shown through html5 (youtube does mention that not all videos have been converted to html5 and stuff).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShanaXXII
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jun 2014
Posts: 240
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
I couldn't really say on performance wise, as I haven't used adobe-flash plugin since adobe stopped updating it. Though it's something to keep in mind, in that adobe-flash hasn't been updated in multiple years; while regular flash (i.e. windows and for google-chrome been updated regularly; for my system google-chrome has flash 14.0.0.145; while adobe-flash is only 11.2.202.394). Most sites I've been to that wants flash, several wants flash version 12-13+. Considering, most times on major version changes; there is performance improvements in the code along with new features. A test you could possibly try; check the performance of the youtube videos on google-chrome. This will at least see if it's an issue with something else on your system causing the lag or is it the flash version, or even firefox in general. Personally I prefer using firefox, but I'm also one to recommend people to use what works best for them over what I prefer. For all we know it could be some extension or another plugin is causing troubles with adobe-flash.

I was checking up, and it looks like adobe discontinued doing updating adobe-flash on 2011, and only providing bug fixes till 2016. I couldn't say if adobe has provided any bug fixes since they discontinued updating flash on linux. Chances are if they did any, it would have only been some that they consider major; and ignore minor bugs (applying the those fixes to the newer versions of flash).

Last I have seen, youtube preferred using flash over html5 by default; typically you have to tell youtube to switch over to html5 instead of flash playback. Even then, html5 playback is dependent of a 3rd party plugin to provide that (typically gstreamer; which firefox needs gstreamer use flag enabled for that and of course gstreamer installed too). From what it looks like youtube supports a couple other video formats, but they are shown through html5 (youtube does mention that not all videos have been converted to html5 and stuff).

Yes, I tried youtube videos on chromium and its working smoothly. I guess its just a problem with firefox+adobe-flash not being updated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum