xfce fonts for non-root user
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: xfce fonts for non-root user Reply with quote

hi,
the problem is some fonts I've installed (cantarell) are showing correctly when I open thunar as root user but regular user thunar isn't showing them for some reason.
I tried messing a bit with permissions on the /usr/share/fonts/cantarell folder, but so far no luck...

can someone please help me with this?

P.S: a related problem I'm having is themes which are installed in home/jhon/.themes folder aren't recognized by root apps and I'd like to change that too...
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, for problem of themes in your home directory not being available for everyone else, is because it was installed in your home directory; for system wide themes, put it in /usr/share/themes instead. Individual use home directories are generally not accessible to other users; yes root has their own home directory too located at
Code:
/root/

I sadly, can't help on the fonts part, as I don't know much on that.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, be a be more specific on '... I've installed' - do you mean anything but 'emerge media-fonts/cantarell' ?

It might be a matter of running fc-cache as your user.
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for replying guys,
@ct85711 - you are absolutely right this works of course, I was a bit in a hurry when I wrote this and I guess I wasn't paying attention to my writings... :oops: my 1000 apologies for that.

@VoidMage
VoidMage wrote:
First of all, be a be more specific on '... I've installed' - do you mean anything but 'emerge media-fonts/cantarell' ?

It might be a matter of running fc-cache as your user.

No my friend, I've emerged cantarell, and already tried: fc-cache -vf. actually no matter what font I choose - nothing happens, it seems like an xfce issue, or you know what... wait, I just remembered:
about a week ago when I still had Gnome 3.10 as default environment, I did emerge -auND world and I think freetype package was upgraded. I recall I noticed something's wrong with the fonts but didn't had time to deal with that issue...

could this be related?
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what, scratch that, this can't be a freetype issue since firefox for example does responds to font changing... then it must be some thunar issue
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: