Problem with Nouveau Drivers, EFI, and Macbook Pro 5.5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalRunes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Problem with Nouveau Drivers, EFI, and Macbook Pro 5.5 Reply with quote

Hey everybody. I've been trying to figure this out for a while, but I can't seem to get it to work. Basically whenever I try startx it fails to detect any screens. I went hunting and found that dev/dri didn't even exist. lspci - k showed that the nouveau drivers weren't even handling the graphics card.

I found that if I modularized the nouveau module I was able to at least get the driver to attach to the graphics card, at this lspci -k shows that the driver is indeed handling it, but I still don't have a /dev/dri folder and can't get xserver to start.

I'm using a macbook pro 5,5 with efi stub booting. The options I'm passing to the initrd are: "root=/dev/sda5 rootfstype=ext4 add_efi_memmap noapic nomodeset initrd=\EFI\gentoo\initrd.img". I found that by getting rid of the nomodeset the nouveau drivers would try to take over at startup, but this caused some sort of display crash/kernel panic. It wouldn't start, hence the modularization.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do at this point?
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This being a macbook will likely complicate the things, but the usual way of looking for the source of modesetting problems involves both checking your kernel config and useflags printed 'emerge -1pv xorg-server libdrm mesa <your x11 graphic driver>'.
"some sort of display crash/kernel panic" is just too vague to do anything with it.
DigitalRunes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
This being a macbook will likely complicate the things, but the usual way of looking for the source of modesetting problems involves both checking your kernel config and useflags printed 'emerge -1pv xorg-server libdrm mesa <your x11 graphic driver>'.
"some sort of display crash/kernel panic" is just too vague to do anything with it.

It turns out that using EFI stub boot was messing some things up, in particular, nomodeset had to be passed as an option to the initrd to be able to boot. This, of course, prevented the nouveau drivers from really taking over. So I set up a chain boot with rEFInd into grub2 and things were getting looking up, lspci -k looked good.

After that I had some folder structure messed up when it came to the xorg.conf.d . After correcting that and adding a 10-nouveau.conf file with the right entries, everything seemed to be working! Startx succeeded and I was able to install KDE.

However, I still get these "freezes". I'm not sure if they're display related or an actual kernel problem. The latest one I was able to still move my mouse, for example. It also always seems to happen during CPU intensive moments (the latest time it happened was when compiling some KDE stuff). Could this be an issue with overheating? After the latest "freeze" however I'm having some trouble booting into gentoo. Could a overheating problem cause that in some way?

I'm kind of at a loss here at this point.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: