[SOLVED] sys-apps/dbus-1.8.6 update pooches xfce
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] sys-apps/dbus-1.8.6 update pooches xfce Reply with quote

Portage just updated sys-apps dbus from 1.8.4 to 1.8.6, and now xfce fails to start. It fails to open socket /tmp/dbus-blahblah: permission denied. The socket file does not exist. I masked it for now, and everything works as before. Anyone else hitting this?

EDIT: Figured it out; I added the X USE flag to sys-apps/dbus, and it works fine now. Not sure why I didn't need it for 1.8.4 yet. I vaguely remember that there's an environment variable I can set somewhere instead of this, but I forget what it is now.

Last edited by Slippery Jim on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still failing to start, after update to dbus-1.8.8. I have to mask everything above 1.8.4 to get an xfce desktop. Since 1.8.4 is no longer in portage, I'm stuck using a binary package. WTF guys?
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I'm having any issues with dbus & xfce. I've had dbus running for a long time, currently using 1.8.8; and have yet to have any issues with it. Do you having dbus started (for Openrc, having dbus started in the default run level). What use flags do you have set for dbus? Are you trying to start something through ssh (a common issue according to bugzilla). Have you even bothered opening up a bug report for the developers to look at it, and resolve the problem (from what I hear developers don't monitor the forums as much).
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to toss it out there before I filed a report, in case it was just something stupid, like a leftover config file or something like that.

Now that I'm thinking about it, a permissions problem could be caused by a change in group flags somewhere. I'll have to investigate some more...
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed it. See top post for details.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: