Dell Precision M4600 120 gb mSata & 300 gb HDD install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reltub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Dell Precision M4600 120 gb mSata & 300 gb HDD install Reply with quote

Hello, I did complete Gentoo install years ago 2003, or 2005? On an old AMD Thunderbird 800 Mhz. It worked fine for a few days until I broke x.org and could never figure out the issue. This was also my first Linux experience. Now I have a couple of years of dabbling in xubuntu but still a huge noob, but wanted to try Gentoo again.

Now I recently purchased a nice M4600 with 8gb ram, 300 gb HDD, Intel i7 2820QM @ 2.30 GHz Windows 7 Pro 64 BIT. This is a great replacement to my current 6+ year old HP DV6775 with Xubuntu.

It only has a recovery partition so no OS disks. I used Macrium Reflect to image the drive. I initially wanted to Linux only laptop and figured I could run Win 7 in a virtual environment if and when needed. But now that I do not have a OS disk I am concerned about losing my "copy" all together.

My other issue before I begin later (tonight maybe?)
I also bought the exact same Segate 300 GB HDD so I could take out the one with the windows OS and recovery partition and install this one clean.

How would you recommend I proceed with install?
msata 120 Gb for /
how much for swap and where, SSD or HDD?

Duel boot, or can I get my recovery partition on a usb so that I can use later if need be?
Should I go minimal or Live DVD?
Thanks for the help... I am sure I will have more questions.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my laptop it did not come with OS disks and had a restore partition on the hard drive. The OEM copy of Windows 7 had its own utility to write out the restore images to DVDs, that ended up being the route I took. I had to blow away the install for other reasons (replaced the 500GB HDD for a 128GB SSD, and the restore image was using precious space...)

Else I would think that using some OSS software like http://clonezilla.org/ is best to image hard drives so you'll always have an OS image somewhere that you can boot the system to restore the image...

I ended up using Windows' boot manager to dual boot and chainload Grub/Linux because Windows did not want to suspend/resume otherwise. I had to completely reinstall Windows as the old disk was no longer in the system, in which the recovery DVDs worked just fine.
Reltub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do have the new HDD so if I remove the original, I would have the Windows 7 untouched just to plug back in. BUT, I would at least like to use Windows in a Virtual Machine or duel boot.

My main thin before I proceed, is I was thinking to make the OS, Gentoo and Win7 boot from mSata SSD 120 and have the rest of the file system partitions on the HDD.

But I wonder exactly how to set that up, or should /swap be on the SSD too?

I have not done this yet since I decided I needed to get one of the tiny 3mm screws for the SSD. Now I have everything to try this. I would like a Gentoo pro's opinion before I start though, or I am just stalling I guess...... HAHAH!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: