View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ema64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Xorg 1.16 update - bye bye mouse and keyboard Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I've update my perfect working configuration of Xorg 1.15 (due to some problem with Wine and the fglrx driver I've tried also Xorg update) and now the 1.16 is a mess: the evdev systematically fails to associate the proper driver to the device... the same evdev driver which in xorg 1.15 succeeded in it 8O

Here is a list of hardware: logitech usb wireless keyboard + mouse, no way to setup it with evdev. The kernel found both of them and not in a slow usb port (please note that with 1.15 also the slow port is a no issue).

I configured (forced) the inputclass for the specific device found by udev (mouse0) but Xorg successfully associate pointer driver just to say in the line below of the log 'inappropriate ioctl for device' and unloads the driver. The problem is the keyboard is totally out so for each try I must execute an hard reboot destroying my PC of course: in fact I cannot ctrl-alt-backspace because Xorg starts but nor keyboard nor mouse are active so the screen remains locked with the pointer in the middle.

In make.conf I've only evdev and just to prevent any collision I removed the xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse drivers which I used to perform some tests.

...I'm not reinstalling Gentoo from 2010... maybe it's time to? :)
lagalopex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the sake of completeness you did a "emerge -1av @x11-module-rebuild"?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ema64,

There is often a change in the ABI between Xorg and its drivers at version changes so the new is not compatible with the old.
/var/log/Xog.0.log will tell you all about it.

lagalopex has told you the fix. This rebuilds the drivers you have installed for Xorg against the new Xorg.
Sometimes this step is not required but it is always safe to perform.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Ema64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lagalopex wrote:
Just for the sake of completeness you did a "emerge -1av @x11-module-rebuild"?

Thank you very much, but unfortunately I've already done it :(
Ema64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Ema64,

There is often a change in the ABI between Xorg and its drivers at version changes so the new is not compatible with the old.
/var/log/Xog.0.log will tell you all about it.

lagalopex has told you the fix. This rebuilds the drivers you have installed for Xorg against the new Xorg.
Sometimes this step is not required but it is always safe to perform.

Thank you Neddy but the problem is so strange that no apparent reason is clear to me: simply evdev driver is not working.

But I've found a way: I left the proprietary (and the opengl4 :( ) driver to pass to the open source Gallium. Suddenly evdev works and now I've graphics again: the same configuration where before complains about some hellish thing now it works perfectly.

I've also read that is not cool to open a bug where proprietary drivers are involved so I'll avoid it.

So, in my configuration, proprietary fglrx + evdev works fine in xorg 1.15 but stops in 1.16. ATI open source drivers intead is fine in 1.16.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ema64,

Only ATI can fix fglrx. Its OK to file a bug there.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Ema64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Ema64,

Only ATI can fix fglrx. Its OK to file a bug there.

Indeed they should also because it's not the first problem with Xorg 1.16: I read about memory leaks and some other.

Thank you for the advices.
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ema64"]
NeddySeagoon wrote:
Ema64,
I left the proprietary (and the opengl4 :( ) driver to pass to the open source Gallium.

Granted, this will cost you opengl 4 (for now), but on the other hand, I've found recent versions of the open driver to not only work well (which is more than I can say for fglrx) but also have pretty good performance. :)
Ema64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Letharion"]
Ema64 wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
Ema64,
I left the proprietary (and the opengl4 :( ) driver to pass to the open source Gallium.

Granted, this will cost you opengl 4 (for now), but on the other hand, I've found recent versions of the open driver to not only work well (which is more than I can say for fglrx) but also have pretty good performance. :)

Yeah right with that :)

The system seems more... I don't know, stable maybe. The frambuffer is better the video uses vdpau with no problem no conflict and above all the average load is soften than proprietary.

Mesa team is a wonderful group I'm thinking to donate :)

Then so be it sorry for the OT but I can confirm: all my configurations were correct but proprietary drivers block them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: