Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I found this old post as I have the same problem.

My system is:
Gdm 3.14.1-r1
Ati-drivers-14.12-r1 (hardware: Radeon HD 6550D)
xorg-server-1.15.2

I had Gdm 3.12 with the same problem and tried to upgrade to 3.14, but no change. I also updated to the above latest Ati drivers with no change.

I switched to Slim which works fine, so it doesn't matter too much, but anyone know why this problem persist and what the prospect is for a fix?

regards,
Mons
Aphax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if there are any broken symlinks to libglx.so under /usr/lib32/xorg/modules/extensions. I don't know exactly what I did wrong on my own systems, but on 3 seperate machines, a recent world update broke GDM on all of them, because Xorg failed to load libglx, which GDM apparently needs. Simply removing the dead symlinks fixed the issue for me
heheman3000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aphax wrote:
See if there are any broken symlinks to libglx.so under /usr/lib32/xorg/modules/extensions. I don't know exactly what I did wrong on my own systems, but on 3 seperate machines, a recent world update broke GDM on all of them, because Xorg failed to load libglx, which GDM apparently needs. Simply removing the dead symlinks fixed the issue for me

I removed
Code:
/usr/lib32/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
and
Code:
/usr/lib32/modules/extensions/libglx.so
, which were both broken, but GDM still wouldn't start. These were the only symlinks to libglx.so in /usr/lib32.

(The symlinks in /usr/lib64 are not broken.)
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same result as heheman with me too.

I even tried to delete /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so (which was not broken), but the system froze before slim login came up, so didn't bother to try to switch to gdm again.
As I have a 64 bit system I guess it was always a long shot that a 32 bit broken link should have this effect.

mons
heheman3000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was browsing the forum trying to solve another issue, I came across this post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1007790-highlight-atidrivers.html

Basically, you'll probably only see the abovementioned problem if there is a ModulePath in your xorg.conf that points at /usr/lib32/xorg/modules...

Still haven't fixed this issue yet. Does no one else have it? LightDM doesn't lock my desktop, so it really introduces some big problems in the office.
heheman3000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on earlier posts, I tried downgrading to xorg-server-1.14.7 (hard unmask) and ati-drivers 13.12; still segfaulting.

Is anyone able to get GDM to work? An earlier user mentioned using 3.10, but that is no longer in the tree. I'd really like to try and have a working lock screen.
heheman3000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like someone has tracked down the culprit here: https://oliverchang.github.io/2014/12/22/fixing-linux-amd-catalyst-linux-drivers-gdm/

The arch linux folks have managed to accomplish this binary library rewriting with https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/catalyst-fix-gdm/ . Is it possible to do the same thing in Gentoo?
heheman3000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ati-drivers 15.1 is now available as a hack of 14.12, which by some reports might fix this using xorg-server 1.17.1. Haven't tried it out myself yet, though.

See the diff in this line, specifically 'gdm_hack':

http://www.calculate-linux.org/packages/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/diff/154000/148372

See also https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=516816

EDIT: gdm doesn't crash, but just shows a black screen (not able to login or anything) with ati-drivers 15.1 using gdm-hack.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome 3.14 imploded on me with the newest setup (egl and gles2). Gdm was the only borked component before, now the whole world came crashing down.

Oh well, I'm using xfce4 for now...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: