[SOLVED] X screen resolution on Intel i915
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vieri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] X screen resolution on Intel i915 Reply with quote

Hi,

When I boot the kernel with KMS on (modeset=1) and startx then xrandr reports only one high screen resolution:

Code:

# /usr/bin/xrandr
/usr/bin/xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
default connected 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1920x1080       0.0*

# lsmod | grep i915
i915                  421313  1
drm_kms_helper         34605  1 i915
drm                   165267  2 i915,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit           12437  1 i915
i2c_core               21994  4 drm,i915,drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit
video                  16612  1 i915

When I boot the kernel with modeset=0 and startx then xrandr reports only one low screen resolution (640x480).

Why is that?

Basically I need a 1024x768 screen resolution and it doesn't seem to be available (it is if I boot other distros).
What could I try to fix this issue?

By the way, how can I force the unloading of the i915 module? It fails even with modprobe -rf because it's probably used by the fb console.

Thanks,

Vieri

Last edited by Vieri on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you are using the xf86-video-fbdev driver and not xf86-video-intel. Check Xorg.0.log why.

If you want to unload i915 kernel module, you need to detach it from framebuffer console first. You will lose the console in the process, so it is best to do it remotely via ssh.
Code:
# echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtconX/bind
where X is the number of the console (usually 1). For more details, read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/fbcon.txt
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

the i915 support would be better compiled in the kernel image than in module. It do not need any firmware file to be compiled in the kernel with to work. So, it's easy to do. That would allow you to have the framebuffer enabled the earliest as possible.

Did you check in the kernel messages if i915 is the primary framebuffer, fb0? If you have enable other framebuffers in the kernel configuration, what I do not do, it have to be verify anyway to be sure the framebuffer support you want is the one who is in work. The framebuffers with KMS support have the capability to superseed any other framebuffer in function.

You can force the resolution by a kernel command line parameter
Code:
video=inteldrmfb:1024x768-32@60

This is an example who may need ajustment.

The Intel Xorg module should only work if the i915 KMS support is in function and is the one that should be use as graphic driver with i915.
Vieri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.
The problem is that I have to emerge xorg-server with the minimal use flag and in order to reduce the system size as much as possible, I'm only emerging the following related packages:

Code:
xorg-server xf86-video-cirrus xf86-video-fbdev xf86-video-nv xf86-video-vesa

I'm not emerging xf86-video-intel because it pulls in too many dependencies.

I don't really care for optimal graphics and I just need my client gentoo systems to connect to a remote desktop.
Is there a "generic" graphics driver that can work with most cards at 1024x768?
I don't have too much experience with graphics drivers for X but isn't VESA such a driver?
If so, how could I not load the i915 module (or any other graphics module for that matter) and force loading vesa? (I don't care for the console framebuffer either. I just need to start X with 1024x768 res.)

Is video=vesa:1024x768 only for the framebuffer or is it also for X?
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, so your problems are the result of deliberately using a reduced functional X. It would be good to mention this and any other non-standard aspects of your system in the beginning.

At least try to install xf86-video-modesetting (this needs i915 kernel modesetting enabled). This driver is unaccelerated like xf86-video-fbdev but allows you to change screen resolution.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xf86-video-cirrus and xf86-video-nv will not work with an Ati video card.

xf86-video-fbdev will work with any framebuffer in use by the kernel, but there must be one framebuffer active for xf86-video-fbdev to work.

xf86-video-vesa will work with any graphic card who have Vesa capability. It do not care about framebuffer or any kernel graphic support to work. You have two Vesa framebuffer supports in the kernel, vesafb and uvesafb who will work close to all video cards.

You can enable xf86-video-modesetting who work with any KMS capable Linux video driver. If i915 is in function with modeset=1 enabled, it will work.

It's a matter of deal to enable xf86-video-intel even if it have dependancies. It will work better than any other xf86-video driver that you can safely unmerge to gain space.
Vieri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have enough information from both of you to start testing and see what best fits my needs.
Vieri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked when I installed xf86-video-modesetting and booted with modeset=1.
Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: