no network indicator in gnome-shell
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitaro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: no network indicator in gnome-shell Reply with quote

good afternoon everyone, this is my first time in gentoo forum and i'm not good with English either.

recently i installed gnome-3.12 and gnome-shell, i followed the wiki about systemd, gnome, dbus, networkmanager and many things that i think needed for installing gnome with systemd on gentoo, but the network indicator didn't show up. there are no network settings either in the indicator applet.
http://a.pomf.se/vpnlyx.png
when i tried to access the network from the gnome settings, it say "The system network services are not compatible with this version". I already installed NetworkManager, and i use systemd. I already enabled the NetworkManager.service and still there is no network indicator. this is the log from systemd status
Code:
NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib64/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2014-05-31 23:15:51 WIT; 2min 13s ago
 Main PID: 249 (NetworkManager)
   CGroup: /system.slice/NetworkManager.service
           └─249 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

May 31 23:15:51 koiwai NetworkManager[249]: <warn> /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...
May 31 23:15:51 koiwai NetworkManager[249]: <warn> /sys/devices/virtual/net/sit0: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...
May 31 23:15:52 koiwai NetworkManager[249]: <info> wpa_supplicant started
May 31 23:15:52 koiwai NetworkManager[249]: <info> (wlp6s0) supports 4 scan SSIDs
May 31 23:15:52 koiwai NetworkManager[249]: <warn> Trying to remove a non-existant call id.
May 31 23:15:52 koiwai NetworkManager[249]: <info> (wlp6s0): supplicant interface state: starting -> ready
May 31 23:15:52 koiwai NetworkManager[249]: <info> (wlp6s0): device state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'supplicant-available') [20 30 42]
May 31 23:15:52 koiwai NetworkManager[249]: <info> (wlp6s0): supplicant interface state: ready -> disconnected
May 31 23:15:52 koiwai NetworkManager[249]: <info> (wlp6s0) supports 4 scan SSIDs
May 31 23:15:53 koiwai NetworkManager[249]: <info> (wlp6s0): supplicant interface state: disconnected -> inactive

i have looked at some forum with similar problem, but there's no solution for me.
i have already tried this https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-973974-start-0.html
and this https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-930828-start-0.html
and the network indicator still won't show up.

usually, i connect using wpa_supplicant, and if a disabled NetworkManager and connect using wpa_supplicant through the terminal, the connection is fine. but network indicator still won't show up.
i don't know what log need to be shown in here, so if anyone want to look at another log that i may can provide, i'll add it here.
saivinoba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check if you have 'nm-applet' installed.
kitaro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saivinoba wrote:
Check if you have 'nm-applet' installed.

thanks for your concern.
i already installed nm-applet. And someone fron #gentoo channel on irc freenode said, that gnome-shell use it's own js to provide network applet. i think my problem is on networkmanager service, and i can't figure it out, somehow. once again, thank you for your concern, i really appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: