Problem with mailserver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
am02
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Problem with mailserver Reply with quote

hi, i've some quetions to ask about my mailserver

1. When i try find host that are related with my hostname, host -l example.com it gives
communications error to xxx.xxx.xx.xxx#53:end of file, no server could be reached.
I try to ping example.com and dig example.com @XXX.XXX.XX.XXX both works just fine.
Nslookup also fine.

2. I'm now trying to create a new email account and I'm using Thunderbird as my email client.
But when I try to create the account, it seems like Thunderbird failed to find the setting
for my email account. Does it have to do with Dovecot configurations? or does it block any
port that make it can't find the server? If so, where should I checked first and how to find
the error? I'm using MySQL for storing the data not PostfixAdmin.

I've try created mailserver before this using Ubuntu12.04 and it workings but when I try to
create it by using Gentoo I got this problem.

I'm still new to this area so I'm not sure where did I make mistake.

Any help would be great.
Pearlseattle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi am02

Quote:
1. When i try find host that are related with my hostname, host -l example.com it gives
communications error to xxx.xxx.xx.xxx#53:end of file, no server could be reached.
I try to ping example.com and dig example.com @XXX.XXX.XX.XXX both works just fine.
Nslookup also fine.

I don't understand what "-l" is supposed to do but the firewall will play in any case a role there (at least port 53).
I did not understand a couple of things, e.g. if you run "host -l" from within the mailserver or if from another PC connected to the Internet, if just "host" works or not, etc... => maybe the best thing to do would be to create a new thread which focus only on this issue and provide some more informations?

Quote:
But when I try to create the account, it seems like Thunderbird failed to find the setting
for my email account. Does it have to do with Dovecot configurations?

No, there is no official "general" handshake between email clients & servers.
The email clients just try to guess the configuration of the server by trying the most common settings of protocol/login/port but very often such attempts fail (often it's enough to set as only option ssl/tls on the server to make the clients panic) => just insist on the client-side by entering the correct configuration manually.

Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: