View previous topic :: View next topic  
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Seveneves

Feels like plagiarism of Planet of the Apes, The 100s, etc. Hope for you it will enter another dimension to these stories by me mentioned here.

How is it so far?

I’m a huge Stephenson fan, but so far, I’m not that impressed. It feels more like reamde (bad Stephenson) than diamond age or cryptonomicon or anethum (good Stephenson). The good ones have a big idea, the bad ones just have tech dumps and plot. And since Stephenson sucks at plot, the bad ones really just have tech dumps. So far, I haven’t seen any interesting big ideas in seveneves.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Seveneves

Feels like plagiarism of Planet of the Apes, The 100s, etc. Hope for you it will enter another dimension to these stories by me mentioned here.

How is it so far?

I’m a huge Stephenson fan, but so far, I’m not that impressed. It feels more like reamde (bad Stephenson) than diamond age or cryptonomicon or anethum (good Stephenson). The good ones have a big idea, the bad ones just have tech dumps and plot. And since Stephenson sucks at plot, the bad ones really just have tech dumps. So far, I haven’t seen any interesting big ideas in seveneves.

Sounds like a sucky feast. Why doing it? And...don't get me started on stephenson. Yikes! (joke).
Struggle through. Might be a big ending.

I am reading the 'Catcher in the Rye' in...wait for it...ingrish! I think the person is actually not alive, or maybe having a trip. So out of touch.
Sometimes the phoebe is young, then she is old, and skating...wut?
Anyways, that one sucks too. Am about 50 pages from the end.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
richk449 wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Seveneves

How is it so far?

Sounds like a sucky feast. Why doing it? And...don't get me started on stephenson. Yikes! (joke).
Struggle through. Might be a big ending.

I am reading the 'Catcher in the Rye' in...wait for it...ingrish! I think the person is actually not alive, or maybe having a trip. So out of touch.
Sometimes the phoebe is young, then she is old, and skating...wut?
Anyways, that one sucks too. Am about 50 pages from the end.

Catcher in the rye is the worst Salinger. Pretty much anything else he wrote is better. But to be honest, if you don’t like catcher, you probably won’t like the rest either.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to set a beast of a textblock here.

Salinger did this, and everyone known to hollywood have read it in every teen movie I've watched, in the theme of blackness.
Always a one outer : Conspiracy Theory (movie, great, great, great Gibson) lol.

What is your take on it's popularity in films? Sorry for getting all me, me, me. Not that I want to, but I like to hear about it. So popular I had to check in what's it about.
Kashire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading neuromancer. I am almost finished though and I think I'll
start working on 48 Laws of Power again... I dropped it before, not for
a lack of interest but just weird timing.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
What is your take on it's popularity in films? Sorry for getting all me, me, me. Not that I want to, but I like to hear about it. So popular I had to check in what's it about.

It is the classic american book about alienation, and that feeling of not fitting into the world. It doesn't seem to true any more, but in the old days, any time a crazy person tried to kill a politician or celebrity, they would find a copy of Catcher in the Rye on him. So the book has just become shorthand for "doesn't fit in to society". And hollywood loves shorthand. If they can save a few minutes of exposition with a shot of a Salinger book, that leaves more room for car chases.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the best salinger?

when breath becomes air. that's what I am reading now.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
what's the best salinger?

I haven't read all of his stuff, but of what I have, I liked Franny and Zooey and Nine Stories (For Esme in Love and Squalor is really good).

Quote:

Enjoyed that. Well, not really enjoyed, since it is pretty sad, but it was a good read.

Last edited by richk449 on Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Since you're a fan, how much does he get bogged down into technical details? I pcked up Cryptonomicon once because I'd seen it often recommended. Having no idea what to expect, I didn't make it past the WWII references (historical fiction doesn't often grab me, particularly war settings). Descriptions come across as very dry. An example from wp, descendants of those of the earlier time period, who employ cryptologic, telecom, and computer technology to build an underground data haven in the fictional Sultanate of Kinakuta.. Is the technology at the forefront of the story, or a generic means to an end?

Anathem seems like it might be interesting, but then it references "aperiodic tilings, which appear in the Teglon puzzle" that "The alien ship moves by means of nuclear pulse propulsion" and "A geometric proof of the Pythagorean theorem is written on the side of the alien ship."

Since you mentioned that he does plot poorly, I thought I'd ask. "Tech dump" seems possibly a good description of my concern, but if the plots are bad, that sonds tough. The only comparison I can think of currently is that the movie "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" seemed like a tech dump with bad plot, although not having read any of it, I presume the fault lies mostly in the movie, or cramming it into only one.

juniper wrote:
Gah! Haven't read it, but looked him up and read his "last day of surgery" article (an exceprt from the book). To have accomplished so much but to have never made it past training sounds horrible. (The article metioned that he was still in residency, but didn't make it clear if he was completing it or leaving it for treatment).
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Since you're a fan, how much does he get bogged down into technical details? I pcked up Cryptonomicon once because I'd seen it often recommended. Having no idea what to expect, I didn't make it past the WWII references (historical fiction doesn't often grab me, particularly war settings). Descriptions come across as very dry. An example from wp, descendants of those of the earlier time period, who employ cryptologic, telecom, and computer technology to build an underground data haven in the fictional Sultanate of Kinakuta.. Is the technology at the forefront of the story, or a generic means to an end?

It varies by book, but in general, if the tech dumps bother you, then Stephenson is probably not the author for you. You could try snow crash, which is a good book, and probably has the least of the long rants on esoteric topics. If you don’t like that one, don’t bother with the rest. Anethum is also pretty good in that sense, but it can be offputting in other ways, so I wouldn’t suggest starting with it. Personally, I don’t mind it so much, as long as it is in service of a meaningful idea or narrative.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've been looking for a used copy of Snowcarsh, but haven't found one yet.

The tech stuff just depends on how it is presented. If it moves the story along somehow, then it's probably OK. But I'm not looking to become a SME while reading fiction.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
The Wayfarer Redemption - Starts out decent. Will decide whether or not I look for the rest of the two related trilogies and any of the author's other books.
I've been picking up "older" stuff that was on my "someday" list. I remembered seeing the author's name, so when I found a used copy in near new condition, it was worth it.

Before starting to read it, I did some research to see what I was in for from a quantity series. During that research, I learned a few other background details (thus, the "will I buy anything else" comment). There are lots of stories that are nearly universal, so a lot comes down to delivery. So I had that in mind when I started reading. As far as I know, this was her first published book, so maybe subtlety was yet to be developed...

Quote:
[The eagle] let itself drift further east across Grail Lake until the white-walled seven-sided Tower of the Seneschal rose one hundred paces into the air to greet the sun. There the eagle tipped its wingand its balance, veering slowly to the north, looking for a shady afternoon roost. It was an old and wise eagle, and knew that it would probably have to settle for the shady eaves of some farmer's barn in this most treeless of lands.

As it flew, it pondered the minds of these men who feared trees so much that they'd cut down most of the ancient forests once covering this land. It was the way of the Axe and of the Plough.
I believe there are winged humanoids, but I'm not sure if this is one. I would think any "wise eagle" would know there weren't any trees and wouldn't look for one in an area it probably flies around in daily.

Four paragraphs later:
Quote:
Jayme nodded and waived both his assistants into the intricately carved chairs that sat across from his desk. Crafted generations ago from one of the ancient trees that had dominated the landscape of the Achar, the well-oiled wood glowed comfortingly in the firelight. Better that wood served man in this way than free-standing on land that could be put to the Plough. Thick stands of trees were always better cut down than left standing to offer shade and shelter to the demons of the Forbidden.

I'm no defender of The Church either, but this just seems a bit over the top. Will see how the rest of it goes.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed from my bookcase and I am re-reading Robert Bork's book, Slouching Towards Gomorrah, Modern Liberalism and American Decline, published in 1996. All I can say is Bork was prophetically correct. I would recommend this book to anyone interested as to how the US has gotten to the point where people want to give up their rights to a totalitarian, morally bankrupt society.

Christmas Lights Are Like Jeffrey Epstein, They Don't Hang Themselves.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky. Translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky. They are by far my favorite translators of Dostoevsky. I had read a couple of different translations of Crime and Punishment before I came across theirs, and the difference was very striking. Their translation of The Brothers Karamazov is great as well. They have also translated War And Peace, but I have not got the courage for that one. Although, come to think of it, War And Peace is a hell of a lot shorter than The Wheel Of Time. I like Part Two of Underground a lot better than Part One. It is somewhat easier to get my head around.

If one is a fan of Russian Literature, does that make one a follower of Putin?

Christmas Lights Are Like Jeffrey Epstein, They Don't Hang Themselves.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky. Translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky. They are by far my favorite translators of Dostoevsky. I had read a couple of different translations of Crime and Punishment before I came across theirs, and the difference was very striking. Their translation of The Brothers Karamazov is great as well. They have also translated War And Peace, but I have not got the courage for that one. Although, come to think of it, War And Peace is a hell of a lot shorter than The Wheel Of Time. I like Part Two of Underground a lot better than Part One. It is somewhat easier to get my head around.

If one is a fan of Russian Literature, does that make one a follower of Putin?

Yes. Also true if you like Vodka.

What about Gogol? I tried one, and got through it, but didn't get what all the fuss was about.

I'm currently on a French kick, reading my second Houellebecq (The Map and the Territory).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: