Installing Gnome 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcronos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Installing Gnome 2 Reply with quote

I've seen a bunch of guides on how to mask gnome 3, however a lot of them seem outdated (already). There seems to be a constant increase in packages, making a list like that impossible to keep. I set up a mask to block all gnome packages, then an unmask list to let the packages I want (all gnome 2) in, however when I go to install more than a couple gnome packages it just wants me to unmask everything, defeating the purpose of even having that option imo. What I'm trying to figure out now is how to get gnome 2 installed without those packages. I have been using emerge with the --noreplace option, specifying the version I want, however it will sometimes attempt to install 2 versions of the same package (for example gnome-control-center. It wants to pull in the version I specify, and the latest version. Gnome session wants Gnome common, which only comes in 3.x releases I have no idea why though. I can't install Gnome panel atm because it wants a huge list of masked packages. Has anyone successfully installed Gnome 2 since gnome 3 was added to portage, and how did they do so?
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be better off installing Mate, which is based on Gnome 2.
lcronos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran it for a while. however a lot of the old Gnome 2 apps I used either weren't forked for MATE, or don't seem to run properly (if they even install). For example mate-globalmenu isn't available in any overlays, however the gnome version is and if I try to install from source, it configures but running make doesn't do anything. Matenu (fork of Gnomenu) last I checked didn't run properly with Compiz but the last version of Gnomenu for Gnome 2 did. If gnome-applet was still available for Xfce I'd use it instead, but unfortunately it doesn't work.

After looking around at some of the guides that have been posted for masking Gnome 3, it looks like switching my profile to desktop may help, but I don't think it'll entirely fix the problem, I still have some Gnome 3 packages that I'm removing from other packages I didn't know needed them. Hopefully this fixes it, I'll post what the results are.

So uninstalling them doesn't appear to have helped, I'm trying the rubenqba overlay now, but I'm not sure it will work right, since gnome-session still needs gnome-common for some reason. If anyone knows how to edit an ebuild's dependencies manually, I could remove it which might help.

After reading the Masking Gnome 3 thread a ways in, I've found that installing and keeping Gnome 2 would involve a lot of masking, editing ebuilds (gnome-session-2.32.1 shouldn't need gnome-common) and making a local overlay. I myself don't have time for that, if an overlay does get created with the intent of keeping Gnome 2 I might look into it, for the time being though either solving my issues with MATE, finding replacement programs in KDE or Xfce, or figuring out how to get my card working in systemd and using Gnome 3 are my options. If anyone has any ideas on any of these, that'd be great.

Last edited by lcronos on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: